Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  1
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gel Battery

That is a wet cell and not a dry cell. Dry cells are old fashioned carbon-zinc disposable flashlight batteries. The Lead Acid battery family consists of Gell cell (Jellied acid electrolyte), AGM (Absorbed Glass Mat that carries the acid electrolylte like a sponge), SLA (Sealed Lead Acid, vented such that the acid cannot leak out), and then your Flooded Lead Acid battery (old fashioned acid tank battery). All of these have similar chemistry (lead and sulphuric acid) with differences in the lead alloys used, etc. There are mechanical and alloy differences to create 'starter' and 'deep cycle' varieties within a few of these different "families". In the true dedicated deep cycle battery the flooded cells are very common, as these are the only ones that you can actually maintain by checking electrolyte levels, adding water, safely do a proper cell equalizing 'over' charge, etc. There is a distinct potential life advantage in being able to actually maintain the battery in a deep discharge application. You generally do want to keep them right-side up, though.....

The particular best battery choice? It sort of boils down to Big and Heavy is bestest.... That is, if you want superior battery capacity. Or, you can go for the one that has the prettiest graphics.

This website is the best on the net for battery knowledge, in my opinion:

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/a...ased_batteries
    | I took the one less traveled by....
    | Oh, Oh .

| ............... #
    |___________________________________

2. Thanks Kenny G thanked for this post
    Likes Firefighter liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by 08Rhino450SE View Post
    what kind of battery is that? i've always run AGM sealed batteries in my harleys because they need more cranking amps.
    seems like the yuasa batteries have gone to shit...
    http://www.adventureharley.com/harle...sign-65989-97c
    this is the one i have its gel, with AGM

I dont always put a signature, but when I do it goes here
    09 700 sport
    aftermarket cam, duel muzzy exhaust, alba custom map, MSD fuel controller, alba water temp and oil press gauges, SDR LT6, SDR 4seat custom cage and bed, rigid industries 40in. and 10in. light bars, led head and taillights, fox remote resi shocks, DWT beadlock wheels, twisted stitch seats front and back, crow 4pt harness front and back, super atv power steering, quick release steering wheel. ruggid radios incar communication and car to car com, JBS EXTREME2 sheave on the way

Still Shakin' the Cage 08Rhino450SE's Avatar
    Thanks, guys!
    So a VRLA battery can be an AGM or a GEL Battery, but...

"Major difference between Gel and AGM battery performance:

A Gel battery is better suited for super-deep discharge applications, which means it can withstand deeper discharges without damaging the battery’s performance. However, due to the physical properties of the gelled electrolyte, Gel battery power declines faster than an AGM battery as the temperature drops below 32°F (0°C).

AGM batteries excel for high current, high power applications and in extremely cold environments. AGM batteries deliver a better dual purpose solution for a combination of starting and accessory power."
    Mountaineers are Always Free!

5. Thanks Kenny G thanked for this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12