Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: 708 fix???

708 fix???

Is there a fix for the oil pump gear on the 708???

I have talked to James about this and he said at the time to clean and
    properly torque
    with green Loctite IIRC. My thought is, if the gear will take it, to take and drill a 1/8 hole in the hub parallel with the shaft. Then put gear
    onto the shaft and use the hole for aligning a drill into the shaft shoulder just an 1/8 deep or so. Insert a drill rod nd cut it flush with the face of the gear. install nut, cant remember if there was a washer lol, and red Loctite should do it. The drill rod becomes a shear pin which should not shear since its steel. If the size of shoulder and hub allows a bigger size I would probably prefer a 3/16" drill and rod. Oh yeh and mask up everything to keep it good and clean without shavings or chips getting into where they do not belong. Magnets in clean baggies in the vicinity help too.
    The challenge may be the drilling of the gear if it is too hard. If it is then I think that grinding a half a spherical shape in face of shoulder and a corresponding shape in back of gear and using a ball bearing in that space will certainly create a shear pin. Any kind of die grinder or Dremel with the right stone should be able to accomplish. However, extra precautions needed when grinding due to dust around the open engine case. Clean and tape it up like a painter.
    2016 Wolverine R-Spec EPS, Camo, fender ext. 4000 Moto winch w/syn rope, 14"Method B-locks, 27" Maxxis Vipr 9 & 11's, Full flip windshield, A-arm guards, 2 batts, JBS CVT grind, 16 OD, slugs, purple, JBS/Eibach springs, Autometer Temp Gauge
    08 Rhino 700 SE Black Armor, JBS 734 (bbk w/Carillo crank & rod, CP 11:1, deshrouded valves, Raptor springs, Viking cam & FI, MSD, afr Gauge, Unleashed sheave w/JBS OD 18g greased, Purple, slugs, 27" Mudlite XTRs , 6" Chopped , Mishi Rad, ALBA exhaust

3. Thanks Timmi thanked for this post
    Quote Originally Posted by jimclemjr View Post
    I have talked to James about this and he said at the time to clean and
    properly torque
    with green Loctite IIRC. My thought is, if the gear will take it, to take and drill a 1/8 hole in the hub parallel with the shaft. Then put gear
    onto the shaft and use the hole for aligning a drill into the shaft shoulder just an 1/8 deep or so. Insert a drill rod nd cut it flush with the face of the gear. install nut, cant remember if there was a washer lol, and red Loctite should do it. The drill rod becomes a shear pin which should not shear since its steel. If the size of shoulder and hub allows a bigger size I would probably prefer a 3/16" drill and rod. Oh yeh and mask up everything to keep it good and clean without shavings or chips getting into where they do not belong. Magnets in clean baggies in the vicinity help too.
    The challenge may be the drilling of the gear if it is too hard. If it is then I think that grinding a half a spherical shape in face of shoulder and a corresponding shape in back of gear and using a ball bearing in that space will certainly create a shear pin. Any kind of die grinder or Dremel with the right stone should be able to accomplish. However, extra precautions needed when grinding due to dust around the open engine case. Clean and tape it up like a painter.
    Interesting thanks for the reply.