Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  7
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Power loss 2012 rhino

Hi everyone!
    I'm having an issue with my'12 rhino. Went for a ride today around the farm and it was clear that the power was down on the machine. The motor ran smooth but struggled to accelerate. I have a jbs sheave and it has about 400 miles on it. New belt and wet clutch while I had it apart. I was hitting Rev limiter at 44 instead of the usual 48 or 49 and it seemed like it took longer to get there. No air intake problem into engine. So I lost about 5 mph on top end and lost acceleration, but the engine runs smooth. The motor will Rev freely and easily in neutral and hit Rev limiter. If clutch had a few thousand miles on it I'd say it's the clutch, but again it only has about 400 on it. I'm not sure what the issue is. Any help would be great thanks guys I'm stumped on this one

Also I checked for throttle cable stretch and that doesn't seem to be the issue

Also James, I'm interested in a motor build, I want more power but I still want this thing to be bullet proof. What motor work do you recommend? I'll bring my machine down after I get these current issues resolved

Any other mods beside sheave?
    2016 Wolverine R-Spec EPS, Camo, fender ext. 4000 Moto winch w/syn rope, 14"Method B-locks, 27" Maxxis Vipr 9 & 11's, Full flip windshield, A-arm guards, 2 batts, JBS CVT grind, 16 OD, slugs, purple, JBS/Eibach springs, Autometer Temp Gauge
    08 Rhino 700 SE Black Armor, JBS 734 (bbk w/Carillo crank & rod, CP 11:1, deshrouded valves, Raptor springs, Viking cam & FI, MSD, afr Gauge, Unleashed sheave w/JBS OD 18g greased, Purple, slugs, 27" Mudlite XTRs , 6" Chopped , Mishi Rad, ALBA exhaust

nope, machine is stock sheave is only mod

Well from way it sounds, if mine, I would get into the sheave to check out the components. You said "around the farm" so is the bike stored in a barn? If a nest in CVT vents = heat and premature belt wear, dirt = secondary not shifting. You have not said how many total miles. Did you do a spring and service of the secondary or just the sheave?
    2016 Wolverine R-Spec EPS, Camo, fender ext. 4000 Moto winch w/syn rope, 14"Method B-locks, 27" Maxxis Vipr 9 & 11's, Full flip windshield, A-arm guards, 2 batts, JBS CVT grind, 16 OD, slugs, purple, JBS/Eibach springs, Autometer Temp Gauge
    08 Rhino 700 SE Black Armor, JBS 734 (bbk w/Carillo crank & rod, CP 11:1, deshrouded valves, Raptor springs, Viking cam & FI, MSD, afr Gauge, Unleashed sheave w/JBS OD 18g greased, Purple, slugs, 27" Mudlite XTRs , 6" Chopped , Mishi Rad, ALBA exhaust

There are 1060 total miles on the bike. Yes it is stored in a large closed in building and I had to replace the wiring harness a few months ago because of mice damage. It was running great after the wiring harness swap. When full throttle is applied motor runs smooth but it just not reaching as high of rpm under hard acceleration and I've lost 5 mph on the top end. Could be mouse nest in sheave? Both primary and secondary were serviced when I had it apart. I reused oem secondary spring. I like the mouse nest theory but if it was that I'm not sure why engine doesn't Rev as high under full acceleration. Either way it sounds like a clutching problem them you're thinking? Motor runs smooth just not making power and hits Rev limiter at 44 instead of 48-49. Takes way longer to get to top speed also

Going up a grade under full throttle it's obvious it's not making full power. Again, because of the engine running smooth I'm not thinking it's an engine issue. Not sure what would be going on inside the cvt if that was the problem. I would think the motor would Rev out quick if the secondary wasn't shifting. I've never had one issue with this machine. In neutral, applying full throttle it pops the Rev limiter right away. Almost has to be the cvt correct?

I would check the cvt and tubes first.

"
    White Shadow " Wolverine X2
    JBS Performance Extreme Sheave
    JBS Performance Suspension Springs
    Team Alba Racing ECU
    Rigid Side Shooter Led
    Yamaha Cab Enclosure
    Bazooka Party Bar

I will check that first. I appreciate the input. If it's not the cvt, what could make the motor lose power and still run smooth any ideas? I'm really hoping it's just the cvt

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast