Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Start and die

Start and die

Wondering if this happens to anyone else. It starts right up and them immediately dies. Then it starts right back up and doesn't miss a beat. Happens every time the engine is cool (under 70 degrees.) I don't remember it doing it when I bought it new and it was cold. I also don't remember it doing it back in the summer. Only engine mods are hole in the intake cover and spark arrestor removed.
    2018 Blue Wolverine X4
    JBS Sheave
    JBS Springs
    Alba Tune

Quote Originally Posted by therebel19 View Post
    Wondering if this happens to anyone else. It starts right up and them immediately dies. Then it starts right back up and doesn't miss a beat. Happens every time the engine is cool (under 70 degrees.) I don't remember it doing it when I bought it new and it was cold. I also don't remember it doing it back in the summer. Only engine mods are hole in the intake cover and spark arrestor removed.
    Yes it does..allow the fuel pressure to build for a second after you turn the key on then crank but don't wait till the pump goes off before cranking

Sent from JBS test site
    James Davis
    If you have questions call me!!!
    304-673-2602
    304-877-3419
    Check out our web https://jbsperformance.com/
    Email to - jbsperformanceinc@aol.com
    Ship to - 131 Davis Ct., Mt. Hope, WV 25880

Thank you.
    2018 Blue Wolverine X4
    JBS Sheave
    JBS Springs
    Alba Tune

4. Thanks WV Hot Rod Rhino thanked for this post
    Thank you.
    yup my bike as well every time since new thanks james I will try that as well
    2016 wolverine chopped top, warren 3500 winch, custom seats, custom rear window, fold down front window, duel battery set up with all accessories on the second batteries , led head lights, led light bar, interior lights, heater, 27” X14 x9 rage storm tires all sides, 2” super atv lift, jbs clutch, jbs mud guards , exhaust tip, pcv with jbs tunes, I know I am forgetting stuff but more to come

6. Thanks WV Hot Rod Rhino thanked for this post
    The dealer working on my bike called Yamaha and was told to switch to 5w-30 for the starting issue.
    2018 Blue Wolverine X4
    JBS Sheave
    JBS Springs
    Alba Tune

8. Likes WV Hot Rod Rhino liked this post
    Yamaha said 5W-30 was OK to run year round but I think I'll stick to 10w-40. I changed the plugs and it starts fine now. Old plugs were a little black.
    2018 Blue Wolverine X4
    JBS Sheave
    JBS Springs
    Alba Tune

10. Likes WV Hot Rod Rhino liked this post
    I've run Mobil 1 10W-40 in my Tundra since it was new.

"
    White Shadow " Wolverine X2
    JBS Performance Extreme Sheave
    JBS Performance Suspension Springs
    Team Alba Racing ECU
    Rigid Side Shooter Led
    Yamaha Cab Enclosure
    Bazooka Party Bar

Issue reared its ugly head again. I had it in the shop for some other work and asked the shop about this issue as well. They said two of the hose clamps were missing from the throttle body the air intake. I never noticed this before so I'm not sure if they are correct or lost them themselves. Anyways other people with this issue may want to check and make sure they are not missing any hose clamps. There should be 6 total. Two from the intake to the throttle body. Two from the throttle body to the rubber boot between the heads, and two between the head and rubber boot.
    2018 Blue Wolverine X4
    JBS Sheave
    JBS Springs
    Alba Tune

wondering if this happens to anyone else. It starts right up and them immediately dies. Then it starts right back up and doesn't miss a beat. Happens every time the engine is cool (under 70 degrees.) i don't remember it doing it when i bought it new and it was cold. I also don't remember it doing it back in the summer. Only engine mods are hole in the intake cover and spark arrestor removed.
    just curious...did you do any kind of fuel management to compensate for all the extra air thats entering and exiting your motor due to the mods you did? Kinda sounds like your running lean!!!

Alba tune, but it did this before and after tune. I completely understand it happening if in fact two hose clamps were missing but I don't remember seeing them missing before I took it in so all I can do is go off what the shop says.

The reason I took it in is I was having some growling coming from the transmission when in low and everything was cold. Awhile back water had got in the transmission from a vent line that had come off. I thought after several fluid changes that it was fixed but it started doing it when the weather turned cold. I figure a bearing may be bad.
    2018 Blue Wolverine X4
    JBS Sheave
    JBS Springs
    Alba Tune