Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  8
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Where not to use loctite on a sheave install

A dealership installed one of my kits and they used green loctite on the cage bolts and the sheave nut...DO NOT DO THIS!!; We almost couldn't get the cage bolts out of the cases without breaking them off. Trying to drill a steel bolt out of aluminum cases usually doesn't work well unless in a press so it was going to be a lot of work to do it right if they broke off

Sent from JBS test site
    James Davis
    If you have questions call me!!!
    304-673-2602
    304-877-3419
    Check out our web https://jbsperformance.com/
    Email to - jbsperformanceinc@aol.com
    Ship to - 131 Davis Ct., Mt. Hope, WV 25880

2. Thanks JoshK thanked for this post
    Likes JoshK, scottwv liked this post
    What color should be used on sheave nut if any ?
    2016 Alpine white Wolverine EPS
    Kenwood 2-way radio w/frs frequencies
    Super ATV half windshield tinted
    Viper Max 4000 widespool winch
    Dragonfire 3" 4-point harnesses
    2" Super ATV lift
    Pyle audio system
    Yamaha over fenders
    4" cage chop
    27" tusk Terabites
    JBS extreme sheave
    16g OD weights
    Purple Eibach Spring
    Slugs
    JBS Doors

4. Thanks WV Hot Rod Rhino thanked for this post
    None!

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dog Daddy View Post
    What color should be used on sheave nut if any ?

"
    White Shadow " Wolverine X2
    JBS Performance Extreme Sheave
    JBS Performance Suspension Springs
    Team Alba Racing ECU
    Rigid Side Shooter Led
    Yamaha Cab Enclosure
    Bazooka Party Bar

6. Likes WV Hot Rod Rhino, JoshK liked this post
    Thanks Timmi I couldn't remember.
    2016 Alpine white Wolverine EPS
    Kenwood 2-way radio w/frs frequencies
    Super ATV half windshield tinted
    Viper Max 4000 widespool winch
    Dragonfire 3" 4-point harnesses
    2" Super ATV lift
    Pyle audio system
    Yamaha over fenders
    4" cage chop
    27" tusk Terabites
    JBS extreme sheave
    16g OD weights
    Purple Eibach Spring
    Slugs
    JBS Doors

I don't remember if it was on the first install on my rhino ; but , I made the mistake of using blue loc-tite on the sheave nut . When time came for the next service , I had to cut the nut off...MAJOR PITA !!!
    08 700 ...

9. Likes WV Hot Rod Rhino, jimclemjr liked this post
    I understand why a rookie shade-tree mechanic like me, would use some mild thread locker on the sheave nut (thx scott, I thought about it too but never did, I am meticulous on torqueing) even though not recommended in service manual. But for a dealer to use green Loctite on the cage bolts is just STUPID imho. The risk for aluminum case damage or fastener failure and risk to have to drill and helicoil it, is just unbelievable. Thanks for going to the trouble to share this experience for all to learn. Applicable principle not for just CVT work!
    2016 Wolverine R-Spec EPS, Camo, fender ext. 4000 Moto winch w/syn rope, 14"Method B-locks, 27" Maxxis Vipr 9 & 11's, Full flip windshield, A-arm guards, 2 batts, JBS CVT grind, 16 OD, slugs, purple, JBS/Eibach springs, Autometer Temp Gauge
    08 Rhino 700 SE Black Armor, JBS 734 (bbk w/Carillo crank & rod, CP 11:1, deshrouded valves, Raptor springs, Viking cam & FI, MSD, afr Gauge, Unleashed sheave w/JBS OD 18g greased, Purple, slugs, 27" Mudlite XTRs , 6" Chopped , Mishi Rad, ALBA exhaust

I do the exact opposite of loctite and use anti seize on just about everything now. I don't remember if I did on the sheave nut but I know I put it on the cage bolts. Aluminum and steel just don't play well together.
    2018 Blue Wolverine X4
    JBS Sheave
    JBS Springs
    Alba Tune

Quote Originally Posted by therebel19 View Post
    I do the exact opposite of loctite and use anti seize on just about everything now. I don't remember if I did on the sheave nut but I know I put it on the cage bolts. Aluminum and steel just don't play well together.
    Good point just be careful on some smaller bolt and motor case torque settings if you are using any lubricant. If the manual calls for Loctite that also can be a lubricant during assembly. (always best to check service manual for requirements) The torque settings are normally given as 'dry', and you have to consider the friction on the threads as they are tightened. When you lube them the stress is more all directed to the bolt tension and more directly to the thread shear. In aluminum that can be crucial if you're not careful, so there is no stripping out threads in the aluminum. I am not sure but it is around a 20% factor...maybe smarter minds will contribute.
    2016 Wolverine R-Spec EPS, Camo, fender ext. 4000 Moto winch w/syn rope, 14"Method B-locks, 27" Maxxis Vipr 9 & 11's, Full flip windshield, A-arm guards, 2 batts, JBS CVT grind, 16 OD, slugs, purple, JBS/Eibach springs, Autometer Temp Gauge
    08 Rhino 700 SE Black Armor, JBS 734 (bbk w/Carillo crank & rod, CP 11:1, deshrouded valves, Raptor springs, Viking cam & FI, MSD, afr Gauge, Unleashed sheave w/JBS OD 18g greased, Purple, slugs, 27" Mudlite XTRs , 6" Chopped , Mishi Rad, ALBA exhaust

13. Likes Timmi, JoshK liked this post