Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3

Thread: Worth buying???

Worth buying???

Does anyone know if the aftermarket rear differentials are worth buying. I've found some in the $250 to $350 range, compared to $900+ for a new factory one. The 2008 Rhino it will go in is only used for general riding , very little hill climbing and no real harsh use. Any input will be helpful. Thanks

Who makes the aftermarket ones?

"
    White Shadow " Wolverine X2
    JBS Performance Extreme Sheave
    JBS Performance Suspension Springs
    Team Alba Racing ECU
    Rigid Side Shooter Led
    Yamaha Cab Enclosure
    Bazooka Party Bar

Probably from some brand of rhino clone.
    2011 Commander XT 1000

2006 660 Special Edition (Sold)
    Had lots of neat stuff...

There's NICHE for $335 and MaXpeedingrods, Autoslegend, and Tuningsworld all at $227. At Partzilla the factory rearend is $1031.17 + shipping. Huge difference.
    Last edited by Dave1946; 02-20-2019 at 11:17 AM. Reason: Added factory part price.

I don't know about those, have you talked to James? He might have one at his shop.

"
    White Shadow " Wolverine X2
    JBS Performance Extreme Sheave
    JBS Performance Suspension Springs
    Team Alba Racing ECU
    Rigid Side Shooter Led
    Yamaha Cab Enclosure
    Bazooka Party Bar

No I haven't. This is for a friend of mine, so I'll see what he wants to do and go from there. I have a 2004 Rhino and have never had any rear differential issues, yet. I've sheared all the teeth off of the coupler on the rear driveshaft a couple of times. But both times the frame had broken and allowed movement of the differential. Soon as spring gets here, I'm going to rebuild the rear frame area and beef it up. Can't do it now cause I use it to plow snow. Well thanks for the idea.

7. Likes Timmi liked this post
    There are some rebuild kits available for about $130 IIRC. Thought about the same thing for my Rhino, not sure what is broke yet. But for the price difference if you don't mind a little work, which is really not that hard, you can replace three or four of the cheaper ones for the price of the OEM. And for easy riding in may not be a big risk. If it was me and I got a cheaper one, I would check the backlash and contact pattern of the gears to make sure it was assembled properly before install. I believe that is the key to the life of the diff if parts are equal. It is probably a given that you will get Chinese bearings and steel rather than premium Japanese components, and that is making an assumption the OEM is Japanese components. Maybe some knows for sure?
    2016 Wolverine R-Spec EPS, Camo, fender ext. 4000 Moto winch w/syn rope, 14"Method B-locks, 27" Maxxis Vipr 9 & 11's, Full flip windshield, A-arm guards, 2 batts, JBS CVT grind, 16 OD, slugs, purple, JBS/Eibach springs, Autometer Temp Gauge
    08 Rhino 700 SE Black Armor, JBS 734 (bbk w/Carillo crank & rod, CP 11:1, deshrouded valves, Raptor springs, Viking cam & FI, MSD, afr Gauge, Unleashed sheave w/JBS OD 18g greased, Purple, slugs, 27" Mudlite XTRs , 6" Chopped , Mishi Rad, ALBA exhaust

9. Likes Dave1946 liked this post

We will probably rebuild as he's looking for the cheapest way to go without buying total junk parts. I just thought maybe someone had used one of the Chinese differentials and would have some input. I personally have never used anything but OEM parts on my 2004 Rhino. But I've never had to replace any high dollar components.

About 5 or so years ago , I had to replace all the bearings in mine because of water getting in , and me not knowing. Just the bearings (Yamaha) and seals were almost $500.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    08 700 ...

12. Likes Dave1946 liked this post