Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  14
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Way OFF topic

Way OFF topic

Hello all. I am SteveS, a long time member.
    Today has been quite a day for me. I am hurting for a new X4. My old Rhino. As old as they get, since it is a 2004 model. Still runs good, other than a failing fuel pump (electric aftermarket).

One topic that came up recently was alluding to how things have changed over time. I am 72 years of age and things certainly changed along the way. I was a senior engineer (but not "self aggrandized") as "Tin Can" is and was. I had no formal schooling but had a great Mentor that worked along with me. He was an Electrical engineer, but had a good background in mechanical engineering. I started out as a "Toroid winder". The toroid being a doughnut shaped "magnetic' base which was wound in and out of the donut to create a transformer of special character. I went for the mechanical field then, learning as I went. I have developed in the mechanical, electronics and optical fields and done quite well, becoming a senior engineer in the company. Sad to say, the company has declined to some degree. I have been retired for some 10 years now, so I am in no position to say that other than looking at the last few years that I was there, sad to say. Sort of taken over by a few "engineer" types that were brought in when our company bought out the company that they were with. At any rate, it was a wonderful time that I had when I was in the early years of its growth and success.

I have entered a new phase in my life, where I still do "engineering" but on my own dime and time. I have always enjoyed "inventing" things since I was a child. Many stories I could tell about events, good and bad, that have happened to me. I feel that I have had a guardian angel looking out for me, in life and serious accidents, and the like, that have happened to me and my own. So sad for me now, since they are now gone from my life.

Much more to say, but not for now. Getting rather emotional for me. Good and bad memories abound in me. Thank you all for your forum, it has meant the world for me.
    | I took the one less traveled by....
    | Oh, Oh .

| ............... #
    |___________________________________

2. Thanks WV Hot Rod Rhino thanked for this post
    Likes WV Hot Rod Rhino, Big Dog Daddy, mike liked this post
    Yet another topic that was brought up in another thread. Had to do with how the world has changed. I went to the local Arby's to get dinner. I ordered a Reubens sandwich dinner.. A new fellow (to me anyway) gave me that with Potato cakes and a Cola. When I got home, I found that the sauce was missing. A Reubens is not a Reubens without the "French word for dip", whatever that may be? Whatever that may be. He says you did not order that! An onlooker that also works there looked at him funny like. They don't come that way, you should have ordered that separately. It is not on the board above and I mentioned that and asked "how much"? He said 35 cents. I have been going there for many years and they always served with the "sauce". It is not part of any other meal, so why would they sell it separate? At any rate, I took it home and scarfed it up, happy as a clam.

So am I missing something, or is he "untrained"? Or, "profiteering"?
    | Oh, Oh .

| ............... #

4. Likes WV Hot Rod Rhino, Big Dog Daddy, mike liked this post
    Another interesting "magnetic" discussion? I have used and played with super-magnets for years. Neodymium and similar. The ones they strongly warn you not to mess with. They are indeed super strong and dangerous to play with. I have found a relatively safe way to "protect them for good duty as a refrigerator magnet that will hold up quite a weight and not slide down the slick side of a refrigerator. DO NOT LET KIDS PLAY WITH THESE, UNDER PAIN OF REAL DAMAGE TO ONE'S FACE. They usually come in a tall stack, but with thin plastic spacers between. they will slide apart, but only with great effort !! If you capture one in a pill bottle cap and latch the magnet in place with the lid liner that comes with the cap, they are trapped within and still serve well to hang a weight up with it. You also advertise the name of the drug store :-) Practice makes perfect, so be extremely careful. The risk is that the magnet will fly away in space. attracted by the other magnets. When they hit each other they break into smaller pieces and shatter and fly in all directions. This took a bit of practice for me, always with safety glasses or better yet a face shield, etc. Using extreme caution, you can get proficient, and make sure that no-one else is near.

You can then place a second magnet on the top of the cap, where it will tenaciously stick in place and be quite hard to remove, other than sliding it along. Using care as it may do a back flip or worse. Remember opposite poles attract and opposing poles will end up with violent repulsion.

Caution is the name of this game. There is much to lose if not extremely cautious. Once assembled, it is quite benign.
    Never the less be cautious until experienced and keep away from kids and the like.

Have fun, but only at your own risk. They are quite useful in this state, fooling compasses from afar and the like. Do not get lost due to one in your pocket :-)

Enjoy, but don't say that I told you the trick :-)

Photo in assembled state to follow, when I get around to it.
    | Oh, Oh .

| ............... #

6. Likes Big Dog Daddy liked this post
    Vet SteveS on duty tonite. My cat was deathly ill a while ago. I searched the iNet and found an answer that helped. It turns out that cats have a differing throat than ours. They have a hard time lifting food from low and swallowing properly.

The website pointed that out and recommended a raised feeding surface for them. I tried that and, low and behold, it worked very well. I got an elevated bowl and all was well.

Again, Amazon was the ticket for me.
    Search there for: Necoiche raised cat food bowl
    If you have a cat, she will love you all the more for it.
    If you live in the boonies, better yet!

Maybe she will live as long as I have??? ;-)

BTW Amazon, or ( "Jungle Store" ) is about as good as they get for just about anything you need to get. No native jungle women though :-(

The kids named her Annabelle. Mom cat's family name was "Lee", so that stuck well. She is my best friend now. Mom cat was adopted by my daughter and passed away this last year.

I am in the market for a dog now, to keep us company and warn off the neighborhood cats as well. :-) I have a dog statue given to me and that piqued me to explore.

Gotta be small, as I have a Miata, so no monsters. :-)

I did warn you that I was going off topic, right?
    Last edited by SteveS; 02-21-2019 at 12:46 AM. Reason: Vet SteveS
    | Oh, Oh .

| ............... #

It's fine..we are just glad your here

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk
    James Davis
    If you have questions call me!!!
    304-673-2602
    304-877-3419
    Check out our web https://jbsperformance.com/
    Email to - jbsperformanceinc@aol.com
    Ship to - 131 Davis Ct., Mt. Hope, WV 25880

9. Thanks SteveS thanked for this post
    Likes Big Dog Daddy liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveS View Post
    Yet another topic that was brought up in another thread. Had to do with how the world has changed. I went to the local Arby's to get dinner. I ordered a Reubens sandwich dinner.. A new fellow (to me anyway) gave me that with Potato cakes and a Cola. When I got home, I found that the sauce was missing. A Reubens is not a Reubens without the "French word for dip", whatever that may be? Whatever that may be. He says you did not order that! An onlooker that also works there looked at him funny like. They don't come that way, you should have ordered that separately. It is not on the board above and I mentioned that and asked "how much"? He said 35 cents. I have been going there for many years and they always served with the "sauce". It is not part of any other meal, so why would they sell it separate? At any rate, I took it home and scarfed it up, happy as a clam.

So am I missing something, or is he "untrained"? Or, "profiteering"?
    I have naturally made the assumption that the 'new fellow' was probably a youngish fellow. So I have learned that it is not totally his bad, he was raised by a downstream of our generation and trained by those same folks. So it was less than raised and less than trained as would be acceptable as we expect. One of my life lessons is, 'our disappointments in life are directly connected to our expectations'. Please understand that I do not do social media, but I made this exception for you, and this is about all I can do lol.
    2016 Wolverine R-Spec EPS, Camo, fender ext. 4000 Moto winch w/syn rope, 14"Method B-locks, 27" Maxxis Vipr 9 & 11's, Full flip windshield, A-arm guards, 2 batts, JBS CVT grind, 16 OD, slugs, purple, JBS/Eibach springs, Autometer Temp Gauge
    08 Rhino 700 SE Black Armor, JBS 734 (bbk w/Carillo crank & rod, CP 11:1, deshrouded valves, Raptor springs, Viking cam & FI, MSD, afr Gauge, Unleashed sheave w/JBS OD 18g greased, Purple, slugs, 27" Mudlite XTRs , 6" Chopped , Mishi Rad, ALBA exhaust

11. Thanks SteveS thanked for this post
    Likes Big Dog Daddy liked this post

I am super happy to have SteveS back on the board to provide his wisdom on many things. I know that I have personally gained from information that you have provided and know that as long as you are providing, that many more will as well.

Never would I have imagined that you were deaf, but it makes sense that you have paid attention to different things than many of us.

Going along with some of the rest of the conversation at hand, I would say that I wish that there were more people out there like yourself. Seems that these days everyone is so quick to use any reason as why they cannot or did not succeed. There seems to be a wide divide between those that are hard working and willing to do for themselves vs those that seem to want to wallow in self-pity and blame everyone and everything. And at almost the other end is those that want to put someone down for not having the same success as they may have been fortunate enough to have.

I have said that there is far too much arguing going on over everything out in the world today. Maybe you like Fords, and maybe I like Chevrolet, that doesn't mean that one of us is wrong or an idiot. We all have our reasons for liking something over another item, and we don't need to sway everyone to "our" side. If there was one thing that was perfect, then that would be the only one... Then we would have a whole new problem in supply and demand.

Again, so happy to have you back on the board, and I am sure that once you have your X4, those of us with them are going to benefit greatly from your mind. Thanks SteveS.
    2015 Yamaha Viking VI EPS (Camo):
    -JBS Extreme Sheave, JBS Skids, JBS Arm Guards, JBS AIS Block Off, JBS Rad Guards, JBS Slug Kit, 28" Terrabites/14" Hurricanes

2018 Yamaha Wolverine X4 SE (Silver):
    -JBS Extreme Sheave, JBS Spring Kit, 28” Terrabites/14" Hurricanes, Weller ECM Flash

13. Thanks SteveS thanked for this post
    Aiming to spend my retirement money "wisely" :-)

I just ordered a gunsmith lathe to expand my shop.
    Pretty tired of my Harbor Freight "toy" lathe.
    Call that "puny"

This one will be a bigger and better one.
    For the stuff that I want to design and build

Still have not gone to pick up my X4, Rain and cold defeats me.
    Remodeling my house for duty as living quarters and a
    place for the shop. Been quite busy and looking
    forward to springtime in the hills.
    After retirement 10 years ago,I need something to occupy me to the fullest.
    Last edited by SteveS; 02-23-2019 at 06:44 AM. Reason: For nthe hell of it :-)
    | Oh, Oh .

| ............... #

I am super happy to have SteveS back on the board to provide his wisdom on many things. I know that I have personally gained from information that you have provided and know that as long as you are providing, that many more will as well.

Never would I have imagined that you were deaf, but it makes sense that you have paid attention to different things than many of us.

Going along with some of the rest of the conversation at hand, I would say that I wish that there were more people out there like yourself. Seems that these days everyone is so quick to use any reason as why they cannot or did not succeed. There seems to be a wide divide between those that are hard working and willing to do for themselves vs those that seem to want to wallow in self-pity and blame everyone and everything. And at almost the other end is those that want to put someone down for not having the same success as they may have been fortunate enough to have.

I have said that there is far too much arguing going on over everything out in the world today. Maybe you like Fords, and maybe I like Chevrolet, that doesn't mean that one of us is wrong or an idiot. We all have our reasons for liking something over another item, and we don't need to sway everyone to "our" side. If there was one thing that was perfect, then that would be the only one... Then we would have a whole new problem in supply and demand.

Again, so happy to have you back on the board, and I am sure that once you have your X4, those of us with them are going to benefit greatly from your mind. Thanks SteveS.[/QUOTE]

Thanks so much for the props. Everyone needs and wishes for encouragement that they need for advancement and development of confidence. Pride is not flaw, but rather the result of success at something that they hold dearly. Yes, being deaf is quite a bit different that a person who hears and speaks. I can speak very normally, which is unusual except for those that developed their speech in a "hearing" environment at a very young age. My grandmother whom we lived with for a few years. Taught me to speak. This is more of a Mentor relationship, which are extremely valuable since human nature sort of dictates that being subservient to a "teacher" is desirable. Here they develop at their own pace and honor their mentor in every way, else the mentor simply becomes a "teacher" and eventually is ignored as a person that knows the "truth" per se. Hence, in 2 years, I was fully developed for speaking. I had a relatively small vocabulary, other than playing with my cousins across the road. Sorry to say that was mostly cuss words and the like. But as school came, I was always in the front row. I was also able to lip read pretty well through my cousins and wider family.

I was given a hearing aid by the state and wore them for a few years. Hearing loss for low amplification builds slowly. By day of pitching hearing aids happened in the 3rd grade or so. A "bully" type smacked me on the ear which destroyed an eardrum (which healed and grew back somewhat normal, just scared to the extent that it was quite stiff and unresponsive I was out of school for quite a time to let it heal, I forswore hearing aids until about 20 years ago. These were very high powered and was equivalent to standing near a jet engine at full power. 10 years later I was totally deaf. and immediately pitched them into a river. I still blame my family physician for this, as everyone knows that you do not sit inside of a stadium loudspeaker at Rock concerts. So I anticipate a trial to determine if he was indeed incompetent to overlook such an obvious thing. Another strike against "college" level in other than an "arts" college, where creativity and thinking outside of the box" is mentored into the student. Doctors, Engineers, some Teachers all are encouraged to view the environment is NOT something to adapt into.

Sad, but that is what it took for me to develop into whom I am. Not Vindictive at all, but rather to remedy what is wrong in this world that we live in.

Back on track, the many hearing are best at auditory responses. Musicians are a prime example of this. Some develop visual creativeness, such as in artists and the like. People all are very varied and it is really difficult, if not impossible to predict their skill set. These skills are developed over a lifetime.

The deaf are different in many ways. They rely, obviously, on the visual universe. They create many visually beautiful things. The biggest, in my mind, is ASL. American Sign Language The language of the deaf, different but influenced by differing countries.. It is extremely simple to have created and to evolve over time. It is created "from" scratch. One simply sees a connection between the feel, motion, color, shape, danger, musculature skills, support ( fishes swim people walk on 2 legs, others on 4, yet others crawl worms, slugs, etc.). These signs are developed to express the world around us. Fun to learn and fun to teach. It takes one a long way into that world. The world is sorely in need of more ASL.

My youngest brother is an expert at "Deaf Music". He has dome many concerts, which we would call "plays". He has created quite a few tapes and video concerts. He and my 2nd oldest brother are highly respected PHDs in their fields, which shows that creativity is not hampered by looking outside of the box. Sad but true, the hearing world "leaders in education" have tried suppressing sign language in totality. Their viewpoint is that the Deaf cannot use "The Queens English" and will fail in this world that we live in. That started in earnest when me and my brothers were teenagers.
    With my dad as leader, the deaf community rebelled against these "authorities". He started a worldwide newsletter which he printed himself because he was always connected with my uncle who worked as a typesetter at the Oregonian newspaper in Oregon. Bought a decrepit printing press, rebuilt it and learned to use it for perfect printing. He devoted the garage, which had to be heated during Fall to Spring. Summer was different as it had to be printed in the early (before dawn) mornings. no AC back then, that he could afford. He was a skilled machinist at Tektronix and learned many skills there.

In the end the Deaf won, sort of, due to the hearing people of the world rebelling on this repression of human needs and desires. The effort still persists in a different form. ASL has been corrupted throughout the deaf education system (mostly hearing teachers and administration). All words must be at least somewhat based on English, Punctuation enforced, inflection prohibited, gesturing prohibited, all words must involve English letters. On and on it becomes more restrictive. There has been no one strong enough to take over the Totem and win the game.

There is the Old School sign language as of then and of which I am one of. I cannot understand clearly what the interpreters demanded by law are saying. This is government sanctioned and favored with reasonable pay. A few of the Old School still working, but they are private businesses.
    This is a strong point for every one to study Old School, such that it can be recovered before it is lost.

So there is much more to discover, but being mentored is the way. Thank you all for your patience of my "Trials and Tribulations" treatise. I truly hope to create independent websites covering that and "Tip and Tricks"... Or perhaps Tips and Treats" ???

You have seen a couple of examples on some of the "how to" tidbits that I have left behind here.

As always comments are greatly welcomed. I am developing them myself as I go along.

As I had hoped, I found the link to Sam's Best Whisky in the West concert:

Enjoy. I do believe that his videos are dubbed as an equivalent of text captions on most videos today, just reversed for you poor hearing people .
    Then replay it such that you can see the beauty of the concert in it's true value. You will have the memory of the dubbing to understand at least the general theme.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=1751518841543880

Please all, give me your interest in watching this video Was it enjoyable to see such gestures expressed.
    This is my youngest Sam Supalla PHD. as you can see that blew my cover here at HotRod forum, not to be confused with the car :-)
    Now my cover is exposed as we obviously share the same last name, eh?
    You will find him on Facebook and would happily lead you to more similar titles.
    You will probably find a large number of deaf communicating with each other, Each will have a bit to add regarding their world.

| Oh, Oh .

| ............... #

Quote Originally Posted by WV Hot Rod Rhino View Post
    It's fine..we are just glad your here

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk
    Ah maybe you will change your mind after you see my Mug...

[/URL][[/URL]
    | Oh, Oh .

| ............... #

17. Likes WV Hot Rod Rhino liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast