Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

X4 Hard Top Front Edge Lifting

Hey all,

Looking to see what anyone is doing to resolve the OEM Hard Top Lifting on the front edge on the X4. On my '18 X4 SE, I have noticed that the front edge of my OEM Hard Top is lifting a bit. This causes an issue when going at speeds with the OEM Poly Windshield bowing in and ripping the seal off the top edge of the windshield.

I was at the dealership looking at their showroom and see that the OEM Hard Top has a bit of flex due to where it clamps to the cross-bar and how far back the first cross bar is. I looked at the X2's also because they have a small bracket the add a slight bit of support, but doesn't look like it would resolve the issue at hand.

Racking my brain trying to come up with a solution here and wondering if I am alone. I seem to remember that James was also having an issue with his and made a small clamp and bolted through the roof. While I am not 100% opposed to bolting through the roof, I would rather not. I had thought about simply running a self-tapper through the roof and into the cage, but worry with the flex of the cage going down the trail, that it could damage the top eventually. Hoping that maybe someone will have some insight or have heard of a different top coming from someone.

Thanks
    2015 Yamaha Viking VI EPS (Camo):
    -JBS Extreme Sheave, JBS Skids, JBS Arm Guards, JBS AIS Block Off, JBS Rad Guards, JBS Slug Kit, 28" Terrabites/14" Hurricanes

2018 Yamaha Wolverine X4 SE (Silver):
    -JBS Extreme Sheave, JBS Spring Kit, 28” Terrabites/14" Hurricanes, Weller ECM Flash

2. Thanks SteveS thanked for this post
    Quote Originally Posted by shortbus453 View Post
    Hey all,

Looking to see what anyone is doing to resolve the OEM Hard Top Lifting on the front edge on the X4. On my '18 X4 SE, I have noticed that the front edge of my OEM Hard Top is lifting a bit. This causes an issue when going at speeds with the OEM Poly Windshield bowing in and ripping the seal off the top edge of the windshield.

I was at the dealership looking at their showroom and see that the OEM Hard Top has a bit of flex due to where it clamps to the cross-bar and how far back the first cross bar is. I looked at the X2's also because they have a small bracket the add a slight bit of support, but doesn't look like it would resolve the issue at hand.

Racking my brain trying to come up with a solution here and wondering if I am alone. I seem to remember that James was also having an issue with his and made a small clamp and bolted through the roof. While I am not 100% opposed to bolting through the roof, I would rather not. I had thought about simply running a self-tapper through the roof and into the cage, but worry with the flex of the cage going down the trail, that it could damage the top eventually. Hoping that maybe someone will have some insight or have heard of a different top coming from someone.

Thanks
    Ah, if you are not part particularly proud, there is likely a way to mitigate the problem. I have not gotten my Wolvy yet, so I have no real idea at the moment. But, one thing that comes to mind is to drill a couple of small holes in the roof panel, straddling a frame member. Do this on both sides and perhaps the center? Size the holes to match heavy duty tie wraps Then try not to cinch it up too tight, such that it will have a very small amount of give. Both vertically and side to side. Changes in temperature can exert a lot of forces along the surfaces of a panel. If you are concerned about leaks, you moght want to use a bit of clear silicone sealant from the top.

Some kids knifed my ragtop Miata last Halloween. I used that sealant approach to plug the hole. It has worked well and is not really visible unless seen from inside, as it lets a little light come through. It is now leaking cats and dogs (it rains a lot here). Time to go to the insurance Company and see what they say. Yeah, I know, why a ragtop then? I have had it for perhaps 12 years, I am in my third childhood that way. :-)

| I took the one less traveled by....
    | Oh, Oh .

| ............... #
    |___________________________________

Quote Originally Posted by shortbus453 View Post
    Hey all,

Thanks
    It sort of depends on how proud you are :-) I have not gotten to study one yet. But basic engineering says that you want to reinforce it but still flex if it needs to. A thought for you: Drill 2 holes through the roof, both sides and perhaps the center? Size the holes to match heavy duty tie wraps. They come in small to enormous sizes. McMaster Carr is a good place, with an enormous rang of stuff to sell, if you cannot find anything at a local hardware store. I would guess that a middle of the range would be good enough. Since the roof is black, go with the black tie wraps. put the head along side the frame tube as not o make an eyesore. The idea is that you want to restrain the roof from lifting too far, but be able to slightly shift side to side and front to back. You can likely plug the "leak" with a clear (or Black) silicone sealant that cures to a rubbery state. RTV is the answer there. It might take a few "coats" to fully plug the hole. Masking tape on the bottom so that it cures in place and will not leak through. The tape will pull off easily when the sealant is fully cured. Play with the tension of the tie wraps if need be. You will always want it to expand and contract with changes in temperature.

Good luck and Happy Trails to you.
    | Oh, Oh .

| ............... #

Shortbus, I'm assuming this only happens with the windshield on? I have a direction 2 windshield and this does not happen to my roof but my windshield does not seal at the top. I took some foam water pipe wrap and made my own seal at the top of my windshield but it is not entirely sealed off and my roof does not lift. I'm guessing the air hitting your windshield cannot go anywhere else except around or over and when it goes over it is lifting the roof?
    2018 Blue Wolverine X4
    JBS Sheave
    JBS Springs
    Alba Tune

Quote Originally Posted by therebel19 View Post
    Shortbus, I'm assuming this only happens with the windshield on? I have a direction 2 windshield and this does not happen to my roof but my windshield does not seal at the top. I took some foam water pipe wrap and made my own seal at the top of my windshield but it is not entirely sealed off and my roof does not lift. I'm guessing the air hitting your windshield cannot go anywhere else except around or over and when it goes over it is lifting the roof?
    Ah, that makes some sense. Worth trying, but the air should be flowing through thru the back, with little pressure build up, unless you have a complete enclosure. There should be very little pressure build up with this air flow path (?) Is your cab "fully sealed" (?) Also, the "leak" from the windshield may be involved. That would mean a build up , in spite of a full enclosure. But, a negative pressure, with an open flow path. Opposite of what it would take to "lift" the roof.... Perplexing, a bit of experimenting may be needed to resolve this.....
    | Oh, Oh .

| ............... #

I don't think it is a simple matter of the windshield being in place or placed in a spot that isn't great. I have tried to run the windshield higher or lower without much change in the result. When viewed from the side, you can see that the area ahead of the first crossbar is raising slightly.

I have been considering using a clamp to mount a light bar either very low on the front edge of the roof, or just ahead of the windshield at roof height. If I do that, I could basically bolt the roof and lightbar in a sandwich manner to the front portion of the cage.
    -JBS Extreme Sheave, JBS Skids, JBS Arm Guards, JBS AIS Block Off, JBS Rad Guards, JBS Slug Kit, 28" Terrabites/14" Hurricanes

-JBS Extreme Sheave, JBS Spring Kit, 28” Terrabites/14" Hurricanes, Weller ECM Flash

Sounds like a good plan. In the mean time is there anyway you can get a video of what its doing?
    2018 Blue Wolverine X4
    JBS Sheave
    JBS Springs
    Alba Tune

I will see if I can get a picture. You can see it even sitting now... From the side the front just lifts. If you go out to your machine and grab the front edge, it probably doesn't take much effort to lift it off the cage in the very front corner. It is even easier to do in the middle. Mine doesn't wave wildly in the wind while I drive, so video wouldn't be the ticket (and I don't have a youtube account)...

I used a p clamp at the front..works great

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk
    James Davis
    If you have questions call me!!!
    304-673-2602
    304-877-3419
    Check out our web https://jbsperformance.com/
    Email to - jbsperformanceinc@aol.com
    Ship to - 131 Davis Ct., Mt. Hope, WV 25880

I have pipe insulator around all the bars on the top side beneath the roof. I thought it might help with rattles and add a little extra cushion in case of a rollover. Anyways it made putting the roof back on a pain in the butt but its very tight. I'll see if mine is like yours but so far it has seemed very rigid.
    2018 Blue Wolverine X4
    JBS Sheave
    JBS Springs
    Alba Tune

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast