Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Just thought of something with mine...I have the SSV Works Overhead POD Stereo system in mine. I wonder if some of the connections are not pushing up on the roof to some degree... It is still fairly flexible as it sits as are the ones at the dealer (X2 and X4).

On the X2, there is a little stamped metal brace that goes from the first cross bar to the front edge. While I think that it helps, it isn't perfect, and wouldn't be a direct bolt on to the X4.
    2015 Yamaha Viking VI EPS (Camo):
    -JBS Extreme Sheave, JBS Skids, JBS Arm Guards, JBS AIS Block Off, JBS Rad Guards, JBS Slug Kit, 28" Terrabites/14" Hurricanes

2018 Yamaha Wolverine X4 SE (Silver):
    -JBS Extreme Sheave, JBS Spring Kit, 28” Terrabites/14" Hurricanes, Weller ECM Flash

Quote Originally Posted by shortbus453 View Post
    Hey all,

Looking to see what anyone is doing to resolve the OEM Hard Top Lifting on the front edge on the X4. On my '18 X4 SE, I have noticed that the front edge of my OEM Hard Top is lifting a bit. This causes an issue when going at speeds with the OEM Poly Windshield bowing in and ripping the seal off the top edge of the windshield.

I was at the dealership looking at their showroom and see that the OEM Hard Top has a bit of flex due to where it clamps to the cross-bar and how far back the first cross bar is. I looked at the X2's also because they have a small bracket the add a slight bit of support, but doesn't look like it would resolve the issue at hand.

Racking my brain trying to come up with a solution here and wondering if I am alone. I seem to remember that James was also having an issue with his and made a small clamp and bolted through the roof. While I am not 100% opposed to bolting through the roof, I would rather not. I had thought about simply running a self-tapper through the roof and into the cage, but worry with the flex of the cage going down the trail, that it could damage the top eventually. Hoping that maybe someone will have some insight or have heard of a different top coming from someone.

Thanks
    Try drilling 2 holes straddling the tube member, etc. on both sides and perhaps the center. Then use HD tie-wraps to anchor the roof there. This will likely keep the roof from lifting, but also let the roof expand and contract a bit if need be. Look it over and figure out if it is feasible in your case?
    | I took the one less traveled by....
    | Oh, Oh .

| ............... #
    |___________________________________

Hey all,

Looking to see what anyone is doing to resolve the OEM Hard Top Lifting on the front edge on the X4. On my '18 X4 SE, I have noticed that the front edge of my OEM Hard Top is lifting a bit. This causes an issue when going at speeds with the OEM Poly Windshield bowing in and ripping the seal off the top edge of the windshield.

I was at the dealership looking at their showroom and see that the OEM Hard Top has a bit of flex due to where it clamps to the cross-bar and how far back the first cross bar is. I looked at the X2's also because they have a small bracket the add a slight bit of support, but doesn't look like it would resolve the issue at hand.

Racking my brain trying to come up with a solution here and wondering if I am alone. I seem to remember that James was also having an issue with his and made a small clamp and bolted through the roof. While I am not 100% opposed to bolting through the roof, I would rather not. I had thought about simply running a self-tapper through the roof and into the cage, but worry with the flex of the cage going down the trail, that it could damage the top eventually. Hoping that maybe someone will have some insight or have heard of a different top coming from someone.

Thanks
    You might want to consider drilling 2 holes in the roof, on each side and maybe in the middle, straddling the likely cross-member supporting the front of the roof. Then strap it down with monster tie-wraps , they come in all "strengths". I have some that are about 3/8 of an inch wide. The idea is to hold it down, but still let the roof slide due to temperature changes and the like. Some RTV (Room Temperature Vulcanizing) silicone. Clear or maybe black (?). McMaster Carr online is likely to have them, if you cant find decent ones locally.
    | Oh, Oh .

| ............... #

Hey all,

Thanks
    Weird. Not your question, but rather that I have responded to this question at least 3 or 4 times and it never "took". So One last try, with a bonus of figuring something out regarding the "missing " posts.

My answer is/was that a possibility has to do with using tie-wraps. First, they come in super humongous sizes as well as teeny weenie. Hope to find a link to demonstrate the sizes.

The thought that I have is engineering related, in that plastic is "fragile" in that it is brittle when cold, etc. An issue is that when stressed due to temperature changes or warping due to "twisted" terrain flexing.
    So, you want some give side to side and front to back, but stiffness in the up/down direction.

Here goes with a possible answer to your quandary: Drill two holes on each side and possibly the middle (?) of the front edge, straddling the support member (crossbar ?) on the frame. Then loop a Super HD tie-wrap through and gently tighten such that there is good "give" sideways. Also, you have a chance of adjusting this if you do not cut the tail until satisfied with performance. Cut the tail off when satisfied. Then go about sealing the likely water leak with RTV (Room Temperature Vulcanizing) Silicone sealant. It will be rubbery and not affect the give that is desired. Keep it from leaking onto the sear or floor with some ordinary masking tape on the underneath side. When happy, you should be able to peel it off without any problem. Black is the color of choice in this case, but clear should work fine. All of this should be available through an online hardware vendor such as Amazon or McMaster Carr. Both the super tie-wraps and RTV sealant.

Do keep us appraised on the success/failure of this approach if you should decide to try it out. Good luck on your endeavor. It could be useful in other situations as well.
    | Oh, Oh .

| ............... #

Hey all,

Thanks
    Sorry, regarding this out of context reply. I am in the midst of aquandry myelf, in that my replies have not been taking for the last few days. Rather puzzling to say the least, eh?

| Oh, Oh .

| ............... #

Quote Originally Posted by SteveS View Post
    Sorry, regarding this out of context reply. I am in the midst of aquandry myelf, in that my replies have not been taking for the last few days. Rather puzzling to say the least, eh?

Ah, maybe this is going to settle my "quandrary" ?
    All sees to be well now, Just puzzling as to why and when ?
    | Oh, Oh .

| ............... #

Well, it is still puzzling to me, but only to the aspect of why was it happening back when ? But I'm hoping this sticks.

The site's most extensive ramble to date, eh? Sorry for the "mess". Quandaries are indeed fun, but only at the time that it happens.

Love those emoticons !

| Oh, Oh .

| ............... #

Ah, a bit more complicated than I thought. No cross-member in the front as I expected. Now that I have my own to study all day if need be. I may be able to mentor you a bit more.
    Mentoring is a form of leading another into a bit of creativity, etc. That is how I got to where I am now. This even applies to my mischevous Imp. :-)

I will indeed study the machine and hopefully be of help to you. Rest assured that I will help to some degree, hopefully. I do need a bit of guidance from you regarding your preferences. I.E are you proud of your machine, or not so much, etc. Offline via email etc. would certainly be fine with me.
    | Oh, Oh .

| ............... #

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12