Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  3
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Is an ECU flash needed with a sheave kit?

I am new to the SXS crew, as a matter of fact I haven't even picked up my machine yet and I already have upgrades I would make.

So I was looking at the sheave kits from JBS and wondering if the computer based speed limiting in the X2 will cut off the added top end you can get with the upgraded sheave. Is Weller the only one advertising the have "Cracked" the ECU?

Thanks
    Dave

2. Likes WV Hot Rod Rhino liked this post
    Welcome to the forum! Yamaha has the speed and revs limited. Weller is the only place offering a reflash for the ecu that I am aware of.

"
    White Shadow " Wolverine X2
    JBS Performance Extreme Sheave
    JBS Performance Suspension Springs
    Team Alba Racing ECU
    Rigid Side Shooter Led
    Yamaha Cab Enclosure
    Bazooka Party Bar

Welcome. I completely understand the need to add stuff before you even have a chance to use it, as I had my X4 for a month before we even went for a real ride in it.

Now your question of a reflash being "needed"... As of right now there is only 1 company that has been able to "crack" the code of the ECU/ECM. That company is Weller Racing. They were able to "crack" it after other companies had tried and given up. Now, as Timmi said, this machine is both speed and RPM limited, which makes things more difficult.

So on to "do you need" it??? If you are only riding slower than 45-50MPH regularly with no need to be able to hop up to speed for a short distance...No you wouldn't "need" it. Do you ride where you may have to jump on the highway from time to time to get somewhere and don't want to hold up traffic? Are you somewhere that the trails are set up so that you can go 50+ without worry? Are you looking for the most from your machine right now? If the answer is "Yes", then you DO need it.

What many people don't understand about the Weller reflash is that it isn't just removing the limiter or moving the limiter. They updated the Fuel Tables, the Spark Tables, the Fan temperatures, the Warm-up Enrichment Cycle, and many other areas of your machine's engine controls. And the Sheave kit isn't just about top end speed, it is about the ability of the machine to match your use. Many of us want to be able to pull bigger tires, or go up bigger hills, or even just go faster...faster.

The only other solution that is out there right now for the speed limiter on these machines is a Speedo-Healer. There are articles about that out there for you to find and read. The catch with that is that it only addresses the speed limiter, and it does it by basically tricking the ECU/ECM into thinking that it is really going slower. Givin some time, I am sure that there will be other companies out there offering either a reflash or some type of "piggy back" that will provide similar gains.

In the case of the Weller Reflash, they offer an update service with their flash. So, if they find some new information or settings that may work better, they will reflash your unit for free (you pay shipping to them). If you decide that you want to change your exhaust (or down the road when engine kits become available), they will update your flash for a significant discount.

I hope that this provides you some food for thought.
    2015 Yamaha Viking VI EPS (Camo):
    -JBS Extreme Sheave, JBS Skids, JBS Arm Guards, JBS AIS Block Off, JBS Rad Guards, JBS Slug Kit, 28" Terrabites/14" Hurricanes

2018 Yamaha Wolverine X4 SE (Silver):
    -JBS Extreme Sheave, JBS Spring Kit, 28” Terrabites/14" Hurricanes, Weller ECM Flash

5. Thanks Timmi thanked for this post
    Likes WV Hot Rod Rhino liked this post
    I have the JBS sheave but not the Weller flash. I ride trails and use the X4 for work around the house. I'm pleased with how it performs. If your not a highway driver, then skip the flash for now and put that money towards a set of JBS springs. You will not be disappointed.

Now having said that I do still plan on getting the Weller flash just because I think it will make the X4 even more fun, but I have other things I want to do to it first.
    2018 Blue Wolverine X4
    JBS Sheave
    JBS Springs
    Alba Tune

7. Likes WV Hot Rod Rhino liked this post