Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2

Post Rhino 660 with 700 belt riding high on secondary

Looking at purchasing a Rhino 660 with a 700 belt installed on it. An issue I noticed is the belt is riding high on the secondary and rubbing the cover.

Can someone tell me why this is happening. I believe it is very solvable just need some guidance.

I'm guessing there is a shim or shims in the primary clutch, which has the effect of spreading the primary, which drops the belt lower in the primary, which in turn pushes the belt higher in the secondary. This gives a lower take off gear. But if its shimmed too much, the belt will ride to high. A 700 belt is normally good in a 660. Can you ask what sorts of clutch mods the machine has had? If someone machined the sheave face it might have a similar effect??
    2011 Commander XT 1000

2006 660 Special Edition (Sold)
    Had lots of neat stuff...

3. Likes WV Hot Rod Rhino liked this post

Thanks for the info makes sense and I believe easy fix

I bought the rhino turns out the owner paid a guy to install the 700 belt and a sheave plus orange secondary spring. Problem is he left washer off primary and the camplate was not on securely which ground the teeth off. So I am looking at new camplate, new weights and grease. Calling James tomorrow about parts.

6. Likes Timmi liked this post