Thanks Thanks:  10
Likes Likes:  20
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Misfire

Steve thanks for the link on curing all potential ground issues. Excellent advice.

2. Thanks SteveS thanked for this post
    Quote Originally Posted by JJBRhino View Post
    Should have explained about battery. I just bought this Rhino 660 about a month ago knowing I was going to have to fix a few things but that was ok because of how little I paid for it. James has been awesome with advice on the primary clutch issue that was caused by previous owner letting someone service the belt and left off a $5.00 washer that destroyed the camplate and fixed sheave. Anyway back to battery it most likely has been sitting 6 months to year. Thought I had recharged it and it was fine for about a week or so and I was just confirming thoughts on it causing the misfire
    I just noticed that you mentioned that the battery was perhaps on its last leg. You might want to make sure that the battery his fully charged. If it seems OK, put a charger on it anyway, just to be sure. Then have it load tested. That involves putting a heavy load on it and monitoring the drop in voltage as it is feeding out electrical current. If it drops a significant amount, the battery will need to be replaced, just to be on the safe side. It would not do to have it fail completely out on the trail somewhere.

A battery should always be on a "maintainer" while the machine is sitting there doing nothing. This keeps the battery at a full charge, even when not being used. If the battery is not being used, it will have a small drain within itself and will eventually run out of charge. This happens over long periods of time, so if you use the machine frequently, it tends not to be much of a problem.

A good safety measure is to have a second battery as a backup. It will not be used in regular operation but it could save the day, should the primary battery flake out. A switch that breaks the circuit on the secondary will insure that it is not affected by a failure in the primary system. If the primary goes bad, you would disconnect the primary battery (which would have its own switch) and switch in the secondary to take its place. When the machine is not being used, you should have individual maintainers on for each battery.

It gets a bit more complex, but if you are way out in the boonies there may be no AAA service or even passers by to help.

It all hinges on how you ride and where you ride. Riding with a crowd is always a good idea, even if the crowd is just one other rider.
    | I took the one less traveled by....
    | Oh, Oh .

| ............... #
    |___________________________________

4. Thanks skrillz, JJBRhino thanked for this post
    Likes skrillz, JJBRhino liked this post

FYI to everyone I replaced the the Voltage regulator which solved my charging and misfire issue. James you were right from the beginning. Turns out the battery was still good also. I will take buying a $20.00 regulator anyday over a $65 battery. It is issues like this that help you learn your machine plus it gives excuse to add a few goodies like a volt and water temp gauges.

6. Likes SteveS, WV Hot Rod Rhino, jimclemjr liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by JJBRhino View Post
    FYI to everyone I replaced the the Voltage regulator which solved my charging and misfire issue. James you were right from the beginning. Turns out the battery was still good also. I will take buying a $20.00 regulator anyday over a $65 battery. It is issues like this that help you learn your machine plus it gives excuse to add a few goodies like a volt and water temp gauges.
    Excellent! Congratulations on your success.

James is a guru in every way that can be thought of. He has managed to create an environment that we can all be content and happy.
    There have been periods of discontent, trials and tribulations, These are things that would drive most any person to despair. Not so with James, He just keeps plugging away at it until it is near perfection, just like his products and activities.

I am at a loss of words as far as where he is getting his drive, but it has enabled all of us to succeed as well. He is the pinnacle of this organization and will always be. I am proud to be under his wing and trust him to do the right thing by each and everyone.

Cheers, from me and everyone else here.

[
    | I took the one less traveled by....
    | Oh, Oh .

| ............... #
    |___________________________________

I actually had another battery that I knew was good that used when doing all my testing. I actually have a couple maintainers that I use. Thanks for all your help

Wow...thanks y'all!!!

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk
    James Davis
    If you have questions call me!!!
    304-673-2602
    304-877-3419
    Check out our web https://jbsperformance.com/
    Email to - jbsperformanceinc@aol.com
    Ship to - 131 Davis Ct., Mt. Hope, WV 25880

10. Thanks JJBRhino thanked for this post
    Likes JJBRhino, SteveS liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12