Thanks Thanks:  10
Likes Likes:  20
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Misfire

Question Misfire

Any thoughts on weak battery or battery with dead cell causing misfire?

2. Thanks skrillz thanked for this post
    Likes skrillz liked this post
    Voltage regulator will cause it

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk
    James Davis
    If you have questions call me!!!
    304-673-2602
    304-877-3419
    Check out our web https://jbsperformance.com/
    Email to - jbsperformanceinc@aol.com
    Ship to - 131 Davis Ct., Mt. Hope, WV 25880

4. Thanks JJBRhino thanked for this post
    Likes JJBRhino, SteveS liked this post
    if battery is not hot it could not provide the coil voltage needed for the saturation cycle time. Battery is place to start. But also check your stator voltage production and your voltage regulator as James said. You not only need voltage but the total wattage to give you the electrical power required. You don't say how old battery is or voltage?????
    2016 Wolverine R-Spec EPS, Camo, fender ext. 4000 Moto winch w/syn rope, 14"Method B-locks, 27" Maxxis Vipr 9 & 11's, Full flip windshield, A-arm guards, 2 batts, JBS CVT grind, 16 OD, slugs, purple, JBS/Eibach springs, Autometer Temp Gauge
    08 Rhino 700 SE Black Armor, JBS 734 (bbk w/Carillo crank & rod, CP 11:1, deshrouded valves, Raptor springs, Viking cam & FI, MSD, afr Gauge, Unleashed sheave w/JBS OD 18g greased, Purple, slugs, 27" Mudlite XTRs , 6" Chopped , Mishi Rad, ALBA exhaust

6. Thanks WV Hot Rod Rhino thanked for this post
    Likes WV Hot Rod Rhino, SteveS liked this post

Should have explained about battery. I just bought this Rhino 660 about a month ago knowing I was going to have to fix a few things but that was ok because of how little I paid for it. James has been awesome with advice on the primary clutch issue that was caused by previous owner letting someone service the belt and left off a $5.00 washer that destroyed the camplate and fixed sheave. Anyway back to battery it most likely has been sitting 6 months to year. Thought I had recharged it and it was fine for about a week or so and I was just confirming thoughts on it causing the misfire

If car is that old and sitting for a while......go through all the grounds...search the forum and do the ground mods and make sure the coil itself is well grounded and the connectors are good with grease.
    2016 Wolverine R-Spec EPS, Camo, fender ext. 4000 Moto winch w/syn rope, 14"Method B-locks, 27" Maxxis Vipr 9 & 11's, Full flip windshield, A-arm guards, 2 batts, JBS CVT grind, 16 OD, slugs, purple, JBS/Eibach springs, Autometer Temp Gauge
    08 Rhino 700 SE Black Armor, JBS 734 (bbk w/Carillo crank & rod, CP 11:1, deshrouded valves, Raptor springs, Viking cam & FI, MSD, afr Gauge, Unleashed sheave w/JBS OD 18g greased, Purple, slugs, 27" Mudlite XTRs , 6" Chopped , Mishi Rad, ALBA exhaust

9. Thanks JJBRhino thanked for this post
    Likes JJBRhino, SteveS liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by jimclemjr View Post
    If car is that old and sitting for a while......go through all the grounds...search the forum and do the ground mods and make sure the coil itself is well grounded and the connectors are good with grease.
    Very definitely do this. Grounding is potentially a big issue with the Rhinos.

The grease mentioned is to prevent corrosion caused by the dissimilar metals being in contact with each other. Most any grease will do, but the specific grease used by mechanics is called "dielectric grease" at the auto parts store. The dissimilar metals with a bit of water between act as a "battery". The battery generates electricity which causes metal to leave one metal and flow into the other, hence the corrosion.

I have greased each and every electrical connection with a silicone grease and not had an electrical problem since.
    | I took the one less traveled by....
    | Oh, Oh .

| ............... #
    |___________________________________

11. Likes skrillz liked this post

I will do that actually have some of the grease I use on cords for my camper.

13. Likes SteveS, jimclemjr liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by JJBRhino View Post
    I will do that actually have some of the grease I use on cords for my camper.
    And what these old contributors really like, in addition to everybody else, is your follow-up to let all know what was fix.
    Also please fill out your signature with some details as you will notice in others signatures it can give an immediate impression and direction to respond .

I have some more testing to do but looks like the voltage regulator is going to be the culprit. I unpluged from the voltage regulator, tested the three white wires with engine running
    and got a reading of 23 or higher on the meter checking all three wires. Crazy or not but it seems the engine ran smoother with the regulator unplugged which to me is another indicator.

16. Likes jimclemjr liked this post
    https://hotrodforums.net/forums/show...ding-by-SteveS

Click on the above link and you will be taken to the grandfather post that I mentioned.

I originally posted it on a not to be mentioned website. James, this was toward the beginning of your original forum. Old Old old... Courtesy of one of your old-timer members, 08Rhino450SE

Follow the thing to the letter and your problem will be gone, unless you also have secondary unrelated problems. This will get you going in the right direction no matter what.

Good luck, SteveS

| I took the one less traveled by....
    | Oh, Oh .

| ............... #
    |___________________________________

18. Thanks JJBRhino, skrillz thanked for this post
    Likes JJBRhino, skrillz liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast