Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  8
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Battery/Starting Issue

Hey there, I was directed to this forum from a member on Viking Forum. Had no idea it existed, so glad to be here for more resources and info!

I posted this over there, and am hoping to get some info from you all here too.

I was having an issue when starting my 2015 VI where the key on would display 12.6v on the dash. Then when I turn to start it would drop to around 9.5, but very slowly turn over and start. This is with a brand new battery that is often plugged into a battery tender.

Video of issue- https://youtu.be/S5P4Aa7E6M8

Many suggested the starter relay or starter so I started poking around and found this wire/connector pretty much melted.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2460-2.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	102.5 KB 
ID:	13627

I was able to peel the connector away from the wires, one going to the negative terminal on the battery, the other end joins a huge bundle of wires that I am unsure of where they end up yet.

Name:	IMG_2461-3.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	129.6 KB 
ID:	13628

The connector appeared to be a male and female spade type, encased inside the plastic connector. I attempted to connect the two exposed wire ends with a wire nut, but now the Viking just make a loud buzzing noise when the key is turned over. Was this connector doing more than just joining the wires? I have looked thru parts diagrams, the service manual, etc. and have yet to find this part or any mention of it.

I found a pic of another members hood area, and this is the connector in question.

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	143 
Size:	134.5 KB 
ID:	13629

If anyone has any ideas on where to go from here, I sure would appreciate it!

That wire connector does look to be a problem, but independent of that it sounds like a battery issue. I would hate to rule out the battery too soon, tear into the wiring only to find the battery was the issue all along. From what you are saying a bad battery would be unlikely, but ruling it out should be super easy, with a pair of jumper cables.
    2007 660 JBS sheave, and MSD Charge

3. Likes kynknwl liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by chalkminer View Post
    That wire connector does look to be a problem, but independent of that it sounds like a battery issue. I would hate to rule out the battery too soon, tear into the wiring only to find the battery was the issue all along. From what you are saying a bad battery would be unlikely, but ruling it out should be super easy, with a pair of jumper cables.
    Yeah, I failed to mention that I have tried 3 different batteries and all produced the same results before I tore in to the connector. The first was the original battery, which reads 12.4v on a meter, the second was a lawn and garden batter, then the battery in there now is a brand new same as stock spec. I got it maybe 2 weeks ago.

Whoever helps troubleshoot this, be sure to look at the red circled wire in the last pic. It's a little hard to see. Negative wire leads to something; not sure what.
    Blooo Banger
    2014 Yamaha Viking

6. Likes kynknwl liked this post
    Can someone maybe check theirs out see if there is anything special about it? I may not be seeing something since mine was melted? Otherwise, I am just going to get this I think. It's the closest thing I can find.

Name:	1p-312-yazaki.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	28.1 KB 
ID:	13630

Yep - that black negative goes to your starter relay. Your connector was super heated - maybe by your starter. You'll want to trouble shoot that first.
    Blooo Banger
    2014 Yamaha Viking

Just an update for anyone who may stumble on this later in a search.

Last night I repaired the wire with the burnt connector. I just used insulated spade terminals and then heat shrink over them. I jumped the starter relay with the key on and it started. When I turned it off, I could hear a whining from the back like gears winding down. From all the advice I've been given, it definitely sounds like a starter issue. I have one ordered and will update when I get it in.

Quote Originally Posted by kynknwl View Post
    Just an update for anyone who may stumble on this later in a search.

Last night I repaired the wire with the burnt connector. I just used insulated spade terminals and then heat shrink over them. I jumped the starter relay with the key on and it started. When I turned it off, I could hear a whining from the back like gears winding down. From all the advice I've been given, it definitely sounds like a starter issue. I have one ordered and will update when I get it in.
    I do believe that you might have the dreaded ground pigtail problem. The black battery negative main cable has a small pigtail that can melt down. Quite common, at least until a fix is done. Fix is to cut it and get it out of the picture. Rerouting is the second part of the fix to restore the grounding (still necessary) at another place (the engine case to frame). There have been a lot of posts on this in the older days and would be worth doing a search. Look for something like "Battery Grounding" if you are in a hurry.

Later when I am back from a shopping trip, I will try to post a link the grandfather of all of the threads involved.
    | I took the one less traveled by....
    | Oh, Oh .

| ............... #
    |___________________________________

11. Thanks Timmi thanked for this post
    Likes skrillz liked this post
    Will be curious how this pans out.
    Blooo Banger
    2014 Yamaha Viking

https://hotrodforums.net/forums/show...ding-by-SteveS

Refer the recent "misfire" thread above. It will likely get you to where you want to be.

| I took the one less traveled by....
    | Oh, Oh .

| ............... #
    |___________________________________

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast