Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

PSA: X4 Rear Cage Cross Bar

If you have a Wolverine X4, I would double check the installation of the rear most cross bar on the cage. I have seen many pictures that guys are posting with them installed upside down. If you look closely at the mounting flange, you will be able to see that there is a very slight angle to it, and if installed incorrectly, could lead to a weaken cage in the event of a roll over. There have been a couple posts of guys doing a very slow speed tip on to the side and doing some big damages to their cages.

The little "loop" should be going up vs down. Shouldn't look like a inboard canoe rack. If you don't beleive me, check the Yamaha Website for the correct installation.

As you know the dealers are responsible for installation of the cage as part of the set-up/prep of the new units. I don't believe that guys are changing this around for any reason, but rather the under paid guy at the dealer doing it, and the dealer sticking a $300-800 Set-up/Prep charge to us as the customers.

Enjoy the rest of your day...
    2015 Yamaha Viking VI EPS (Camo):
    -JBS Extreme Sheave, JBS Skids, JBS Arm Guards, JBS AIS Block Off, JBS Rad Guards, JBS Slug Kit, 28" Terrabites/14" Hurricanes

2018 Yamaha Wolverine X4 SE (Silver):
    -JBS Extreme Sheave, JBS Spring Kit, 28” Terrabites/14" Hurricanes, Weller ECM Flash

2. Thanks Timmi, SteveS thanked for this post
    Thanks for noticing that and posting in our facebook groups. Rear bar should look like this.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bar.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	26.6 KB 
ID:	13635

"
    White Shadow " Wolverine X2
    JBS Performance Extreme Sheave
    JBS Performance Suspension Springs
    Team Alba Racing ECU
    Rigid Side Shooter Led
    Yamaha Cab Enclosure
    Bazooka Party Bar

A bunch of guys are now asking, "What difference does it make?"

I answer that with a couple of things...

1. If you look at the flange on the cross bar and cage, you will see a very slight angle. If the bar is "flipped" then the angles don't match. If the angles don't match, you have a gap. A gap is a place to introduce unwanted flex into a system designed to protect the occupants.

2. If the loop is installed upside-down, then it is in your way every time you do anything at the rear of your machine. If it is correctly installed, you can get your head in there without smashing it into a misplaced bar, or have to work around said misplaced bar.

Do I think that this is the sole reason for the cages to bend? Do I think that the cross bar being installed "correctly" is going to solve all the problems? The answer is no. I think that it will minimize problems and the only way to prevent problems is to not get into those situations. But what fun is in that? So the only other way is to reinforce your factory cage, or have a nice one made out of Chromoly.
    -JBS Extreme Sheave, JBS Skids, JBS Arm Guards, JBS AIS Block Off, JBS Rad Guards, JBS Slug Kit, 28" Terrabites/14" Hurricanes

-JBS Extreme Sheave, JBS Spring Kit, 28” Terrabites/14" Hurricanes, Weller ECM Flash

5. Thanks Timmi thanked for this post

Some of the folks on FB are starting to report that they have done a slow speed tip, and haven’t folded their cages and had that cross bar correct. Also some folks are reporting that they pulled their back cross bar and found it fit better the way that it is supposed to. So to me it seems that it is really worth looking at.

shortbus,

Thank you so much for your conveyance of a very important issue.

In Engineer speak, it is named "fatigue" .
    It can be demonstrated by bending a paper clip over and over in the same spot.
    You must have patience and continue until the inevitable happens.
    The wire will break, as I expect that all have seen such things happen.
    The bar sees lots of flexing through the life of the machine which leads to a serious
    danger when the machine sees an event such as a rollover or other sort of crash.
    The cage could even collapse, trapping yourself and/or your passengers.
    This could be a fatal event if the worst should happen.
    All take notice and act as is recommended and verify that all is well.

It looks like an easy to happen accidental mistake to make.
    No blame should lie on anyone's shoulders, simply because we are human and this is our game.

I took a look at Wolfy and hers is fine. If it were to fall off,
    I would have had a loss of my ORV permit sticker.
    This would be grounds for a pullover and perhaps serious consequences
    for me and my passengers, such as a fierce talking to by Johnny Law
    and possibly a walk home, or even worse.

| I took the one less traveled by....
    | Oh, Oh .

| ............... #
    |___________________________________