Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Replacement fan ?

Is this a good replacement fan ? Does it still use the vent tube ? How easy is it to replace ? What do I need to remove to do the replacement.

My fan is beginning to make a little noise but still runs. I've seen where you can squirt some oil into the vent tube. Does that seem to be a good fix or should I use the suggested fan and just go ahead and replace ?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SPAL-Automo...YAAOSwhYJcSKpT
    2016 Alpine white Wolverine EPS
    Kenwood 2-way radio w/frs frequencies
    Super ATV half windshield tinted
    Viper Max 4000 widespool winch
    Dragonfire 3" 4-point harnesses
    2" Super ATV lift
    Pyle audio system
    Yamaha over fenders
    4" cage chop
    27" tusk Terabites
    JBS extreme sheave
    16g OD weights
    Purple Eibach Spring
    Slugs
    JBS Doors

It looks like the same one I got but without the aluminum shroud. No you will not need the vent tube. It may need a fan breaker replacement if it short cycles but mine did not. It is pretty easy. jack it up disconnect the top of the left shock and roll it out of the way then pull the four shroud mounting bolts and disconnect power connector and untangle vent tube and it will snake out. You may want to pinch the radiator hose and remove it from radiator. The JBS rad guards make you work around a couple bolts but not a big deal. When I got this far, I looked at my radiator and took it off and tanked it and cleaned it out, there is a serious load of dirt in the bottom of the radiator you cannot see and would recommend you go ahead and pull and clean as long as you are this close. You will need to adapt the fan to the plastic shroud and that will be a whole lot easier if out of the unit. And if it was me I believe I would overlay the fan and the shroud and if it aligns with some overlap, use some wide flange pop rivets with backer plates at about 8 or 10 points around the circumference. let us know how it goes.
    2016 Wolverine R-Spec EPS, Camo, fender ext. 4000 Moto winch w/syn rope, 14"Method B-locks, 27" Maxxis Vipr 9 & 11's, Full flip windshield, A-arm guards, 2 batts, JBS CVT grind, 16 OD, slugs, purple, JBS/Eibach springs, Autometer Temp Gauge
    08 Rhino 700 SE Black Armor, JBS 734 (bbk w/Carillo crank & rod, CP 11:1, deshrouded valves, Raptor springs, Viking cam & FI, MSD, afr Gauge, Unleashed sheave w/JBS OD 18g greased, Purple, slugs, 27" Mudlite XTRs , 6" Chopped , Mishi Rad, ALBA exhaust

Quote Originally Posted by jimclemjr View Post
    It looks like the same one I got but without the aluminum shroud. No you will not need the vent tube. It may need a fan breaker replacement if it short cycles but mine did not. It is pretty easy. jack it up disconnect the top of the left shock and roll it out of the way then pull the four shroud mounting bolts and disconnect power connector and untangle vent tube and it will snake out. You may want to pinch the radiator hose and remove it from radiator. The JBS rad guards make you work around a couple bolts but not a big deal. When I got this far, I looked at my radiator and took it off and tanked it and cleaned it out, there is a serious load of dirt in the bottom of the radiator you cannot see and would recommend you go ahead and pull and clean as long as you are this close. You will need to adapt the fan to the plastic shroud and that will be a whole lot easier if out of the unit. And if it was me I believe I would overlay the fan and the shroud and if it aligns with some overlap, use some wide flange pop rivets with backer plates at about 8 or 10 points around the circumference. let us know how it goes.
    Thanks for the reply. I probably won't be removing the rad. What's this about adapting the the fan to the shroud ? Also how will I know if I need a new breaker ? What size breaker and where do I purchase this breaker ?
    2" Super ATV lift
    Pyle audio system
    Yamaha over fenders
    4" cage chop
    27" tusk Terabites
    JBS extreme sheave
    16g OD weights
    Purple Eibach Spring
    Slugs
    JBS Doors

Factory fan won't give you any issues if you extend the vent on the new one

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk
    James Davis
    If you have questions call me!!!
    304-673-2602
    304-877-3419
    Check out our web https://jbsperformance.com/
    Email to - jbsperformanceinc@aol.com
    Ship to - 131 Davis Ct., Mt. Hope, WV 25880

Quote Originally Posted by WV Hot Rod Rhino View Post
    Factory fan won't give you any issues if you extend the vent on the new one

Isn't the factory fan quite expensive?
    2" Super ATV lift
    Pyle audio system
    Yamaha over fenders
    4" cage chop
    27" tusk Terabites
    JBS extreme sheave
    16g OD weights
    Purple Eibach Spring
    Slugs
    JBS Doors

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dog Daddy View Post
    Isn't the factory fan quite expensive?
    I will get you a price tomorrow

James Davis
    If you have questions call me!!!
    304-673-2602
    304-877-3419
    Check out our web https://jbsperformance.com/
    Email to - jbsperformanceinc@aol.com
    Ship to - 131 Davis Ct., Mt. Hope, WV 25880

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dog Daddy View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I probably won't be removing the rad. What's this about adapting the the fan to the shroud ? Also how will I know if I need a new breaker ? What size breaker and where do I purchase this breaker ?
    IIRC there are four fasteners from the OEM fan to the OEM plastic shroud. I do not know if the fastener locations line up to the SPAL, but guessing they do not. I think this fan is 1" bigger and it is 20% more volume than OEM. And I just meant that if it were me I would take off the four mounting bolts of shroud to radiator and work on the unit on a bench. I would not trust any self tapping screws or pop rivets into plastic if I had to put this together, so would prefer to be able to use a bolt and nut with a lock washer or keeper nut or pop rivets with backer plates. Too much heat and vibration to do a blind fastener for my liking. Let us know if fastener holes align. Also recommend you use some anti-seize when the bolts go back in radiator.
    The OEM breaker is an auto reset breaker which should be OK but if it opens and closes to make the fan short cycle you will be able to tell it. As a test when I put mine together I initially jumped a hot wire to the inlet side of breaker and let it run for a few minutes and put cardboard over radiator intermittently to give it some load. If you need another breaker you can get various sizes at a typical auto store and make up a short adapter harness with some spade and bullet connectors.
    2016 Wolverine R-Spec EPS, Camo, fender ext. 4000 Moto winch w/syn rope, 14"Method B-locks, 27" Maxxis Vipr 9 & 11's, Full flip windshield, A-arm guards, 2 batts, JBS CVT grind, 16 OD, slugs, purple, JBS/Eibach springs, Autometer Temp Gauge
    08 Rhino 700 SE Black Armor, JBS 734 (bbk w/Carillo crank & rod, CP 11:1, deshrouded valves, Raptor springs, Viking cam & FI, MSD, afr Gauge, Unleashed sheave w/JBS OD 18g greased, Purple, slugs, 27" Mudlite XTRs , 6" Chopped , Mishi Rad, ALBA exhaust

Quote Originally Posted by WV Hot Rod Rhino View Post
    I will get you a price tomorrow

Ok. Thanks.
    2" Super ATV lift
    Pyle audio system
    Yamaha over fenders
    4" cage chop
    27" tusk Terabites
    JBS extreme sheave
    16g OD weights
    Purple Eibach Spring
    Slugs
    JBS Doors

Quote Originally Posted by jimclemjr View Post
    IIRC there are four fasteners from the OEM fan to the OEM plastic shroud. I do not know if the fastener locations line up to the SPAL, but guessing they do not. I think this fan is 1" bigger and it is 20% more volume than OEM. And I just meant that if it were me I would take off the four mounting bolts of shroud to radiator and work on the unit on a bench. I would not trust any self tapping screws or pop rivets into plastic if I had to put this together, so would prefer to be able to use a bolt and nut with a lock washer or keeper nut or pop rivets with backer plates. Too much heat and vibration to do a blind fastener for my liking. Let us know if fastener holes align. Also recommend you use some anti-seize when the bolts go back in radiator.
    The OEM breaker is an auto reset breaker which should be OK but if it opens and closes to make the fan short cycle you will be able to tell it. As a test when I put mine together I initially jumped a hot wire to the inlet side of breaker and let it run for a few minutes and put cardboard over radiator intermittently to give it some load. If you need another breaker you can get various sizes at a typical auto store and make up a short adapter harness with some spade and bullet connectors.
    Gotcha. Thanks.
    2" Super ATV lift
    Pyle audio system
    Yamaha over fenders
    4" cage chop
    27" tusk Terabites
    JBS extreme sheave
    16g OD weights
    Purple Eibach Spring
    Slugs
    JBS Doors

So as I read somewhere I shot some WD-40 in the tube and it is now running quietly. Now keep in mind it never failed but just seemed a bit noisier than normal. It was still spinning freely and cooling properly. I will eventually replace it but I think I will get though the 4 day ride coming up at RRB. Any thoughts ?????
    2" Super ATV lift
    Pyle audio system
    Yamaha over fenders
    4" cage chop
    27" tusk Terabites
    JBS extreme sheave
    16g OD weights