Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  6

Normal Temp Rhino 660

I read the thermostat post from back in august of 2018 where Hump said he tries to keep his temp between 175 and 190 with an override switch. I recently installed a gauge and was wondering
    what the normal operating temp is without an override switch. I am of his same opinion not really wanting a temp above 200 and would also like to know how to install an override switch. What I have
    noticed is when I startup let warm up it gets to and stays at around 175 at an idle which is what I thought would be the temp based on a Youtube video where they said temp should be 170. Obviously
    that was incorrect because as soon as I start riding it climbs to above 200. The fan is cycling on and off and like I mentioned above I agree with Hump in that I would prefer cooler.

Quote Originally Posted by JJBRhino View Post
    I read the thermostat post from back in august of 2018 where Hump said he tries to keep his temp between 175 and 190 with an override switch. I recently installed a gauge and was wondering
    what the normal operating temp is without an override switch. I am of his same opinion not really wanting a temp above 200 and would also like to know how to install an override switch. What I have
    noticed is when I startup let warm up it gets to and stays at around 175 at an idle which is what I thought would be the temp based on a Youtube video where they said temp should be 170. Obviously
    that was incorrect because as soon as I start riding it climbs to above 200. The fan is cycling on and off and like I mentioned above I agree with Hump in that I would prefer cooler.
    I have ben off of the forum for a day or three, due to internet connectivity problems, as well as my personal local network problems.

Logging in just now, your question caught my attention and I immediately looked up as much info on Rhinos as I could, but did not find info specific to Rhino #660. I did find a link that explains a lot about their regulation of body temperature. They are mud wallowers and love to dive into deep mudholes. While submerged in the mud they cool off drastically. They have no sweat glands, so cannot regulate their body temperature as we, and most other warm blooded creatures can. So when you ride your Rhino make sure that you stay near, or better yet, submerge within it.

Here in Oregon, it rains nearly continuously during most seasons of the year. We rarely have problems overheating due to the cooling effect of the water. Mudholes are nearly everywhere you go. My avatar is a snapshot of my Rhino, named Splotchy because she has thick skin and is quite camouflaged, especially after coming out of the mud.

There is a great deal of information on Rhinos on this site. Do explore it and see

https://www.livescience.com/27439-rhinos.html

I hope you enjoyed this little trip into never-never land, I certainly did.
    I have to beg off from more discussion due to my tongue sticking to my cheek.....

Cheers, and stay cool

| I took the one less traveled by....
    | Oh, Oh .

| ............... #
    |___________________________________

3. Thanks JJBRhino thanked for this post
    Likes JJBRhino, WV Hot Rod Rhino, Hump liked this post

Thanks for the Rhino Anatomy lesson as I do like to learn and so I will keep this advice in mind when I go riding.

The 660 does not have a t-stat...for the most part , they tend to run cooler than the 700’s. The fan (with over-ride off) on mine would kick on around 208 , and kick off around 185-190 ish. As long as I wasn’t climbing long , steep hills , the over-ride would keep it around 175.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    08 700 ...

6. Thanks JJBRhino thanked for this post
    Likes JJBRhino liked this post
    ^^^^^what Scott said. I don't run my override on mine all the time. If I do, it will pull it down into the 150 range and it acts like it doesn't run quite right when it's that cool. Seems for a 700, the normal operating temp is between 190 and 210. I can tell you this, there is a huge difference in the temp of your ass between 200 or more, and 190 on a hot day.
    JBS 734 with Crank Works crank and rod - CP 11:1 BBK- Hotcams stage 3 Raptor cam - JBS ported head - JBS Hot Rod sheave with 16s - Gold secondary - 26x9 OG Bighorns on Racline wheels - BRP cdi - Bazzaz Z FI - Yoshimura exhaust - Hump's led headlight swap with Trailbrightled lights - 10" Rigid SR light bar - 4" cage chop with home made custom bracing - home built doors - Mishimoto radiator

8. Thanks JJBRhino thanked for this post
    Likes JJBRhino liked this post

Thanks for the info. I plan to add override switch and a fan shroud since I have seen where others have done that to help also. Correct me if I am wrong but I believe the 700's have fan shrouds from the factory.

Quote Originally Posted by JJBRhino View Post
    Thanks for the info. I plan to add override switch and a fan shroud since I have seen where others have done that to help also. Correct me if I am wrong but I believe the 700's have fan shrouds from the factory.
    Yes they do. I don't know about the 660, but the 700s have a wire you tap into up at the relay near the battery to wire your switch. I can't remember where I seen how to do mine. May have been on here or somewhere else, just google it if you can't find it on here.
    JBS 734 with Crank Works crank and rod - CP 11:1 BBK- Hotcams stage 3 Raptor cam - JBS ported head - JBS Hot Rod sheave with 16s - Gold secondary - 26x9 OG Bighorns on Racline wheels - BRP cdi - Bazzaz Z FI - Yoshimura exhaust - Hump's led headlight swap with Trailbrightled lights - 10" Rigid SR light bar - 4" cage chop with home made custom bracing - home built doors - Mishimoto radiator

Made the fan override harness and switch today and cost less than $20 and about 15 minutes of my time. I most likely will still add a fan shroud at some point.

12. Likes Timmi liked this post