Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Loose axle?

Loose axle?

My 2013 seemed to have axle play at the front diff bearing. So, I replaced the diff case/bearing/gear (passenger side front), installed axle, and still have the same amount of play. It’s more play than the driver side, so I’m concerned. What the heck could be wrong? Could the axle end be worn out too much? I checked the mounting surface and it’s the same diameter as the driver side. I’m lost...

A little more details- hours? miles? original axle? is this end play? slop in the diameters? is it making noise? do you install a new circlip?
    2016 Wolverine R-Spec EPS, Camo, fender ext. 4000 Moto winch w/syn rope, 14"Method B-locks, 27" Maxxis Vipr 9 & 11's, Full flip windshield, A-arm guards, 2 batts, JBS CVT grind, 16 OD, slugs, purple, JBS/Eibach springs, Autometer Temp Gauge
    08 Rhino 700 SE Black Armor, JBS 734 (bbk w/Carillo crank & rod, CP 11:1, deshrouded valves, Raptor springs, Viking cam & FI, MSD, afr Gauge, Unleashed sheave w/JBS OD 18g greased, Purple, slugs, 27" Mudlite XTRs , 6" Chopped , Mishi Rad, ALBA exhaust

Jim, thanks for the reply. I have about 900 miles on the Rhino, original axle, end play/slop right at the diff where the axle is installed (seems to be a diameter type slop), no noise that i can tell, and no I didn't use a new circlip on the diff end of the axle when I reinstalled. Thoughts?

did it slide out easy or did it take a good yank to extract it?
    2016 Wolverine R-Spec EPS, Camo, fender ext. 4000 Moto winch w/syn rope, 14"Method B-locks, 27" Maxxis Vipr 9 & 11's, Full flip windshield, A-arm guards, 2 batts, JBS CVT grind, 16 OD, slugs, purple, JBS/Eibach springs, Autometer Temp Gauge
    08 Rhino 700 SE Black Armor, JBS 734 (bbk w/Carillo crank & rod, CP 11:1, deshrouded valves, Raptor springs, Viking cam & FI, MSD, afr Gauge, Unleashed sheave w/JBS OD 18g greased, Purple, slugs, 27" Mudlite XTRs , 6" Chopped , Mishi Rad, ALBA exhaust

It took one hell of a yank or two.

6. Likes Timmi liked this post
    But now its loose, so I would replace the circlip with a new one, and when you pull it out this time it will maybe be very easy if bad circlip. If the slop is bad it should be leaking past the seal and you would either see grease coming out or water going in turning your grease milky.

8. Thanks Timmi thanked for this post
    Will the clip prevent up/down and back/forth play? I expected it allowing in/out play. I appreciate the advice.

This is a tough assessment without being able to touch it. you said no noise and you replaced the carrier bearing . I have not seen an axle end wear to create the symptoms you are describing. I am searching for the cheapest and most obvious solution one step at a time. so a new circlip as manual prescribes is what I would recommend. Honestly I have R&Rd axles and most of time reused the clip but it's all I can suggest from the couch.