Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Banned

High elevation setup question

Here goes..
    2019 X2 with 27x10x14's (38lbs each tire/wheel). Stock clutch and weights currently which pretty much sucks with the larger heavier tires. Looking at the Extreme sheave with what weights would be best for mountain trails (not like the hills out east lol) and swerving like I'm George Jones rolling the dirt roads? I'm at 4500ft and ride up to 10,000ft. Some trails are a hell of a climb and for sure need the low end and torque. However still want to roll the dirt roads at 60mph min without the RPM's screaming. Yes I understand an ECU flash is need to obtain these goals. Thanks for any feedback. I think the greased sheave with OD weights are the way to go. Grease-less sheave I have my doubts..

Dr Pulley overdrive weights are definitely the best performers. James has his custom made by Dr Pulley. (they have the patent on them)
    And as you say, use Yamalube on them, they perform better than without grease. I'll let James advise you on what gram weights to go with.
    I have 16's on my X2 which works great for me since I run mountain trails, I seldom get to 40 mph and not for long distances when I do. I can still ride roads at 50 mph with stock tires and not be revving the engine too high. When I replace my tires with larger size, I will be ok still with the light weights.
    The way James sets up his clutch you get quicker belt engagement from zero mph, much easier on the wet clutch, and you get some added top speed also.

"
    White Shadow " Wolverine X2
    JBS Performance Extreme Sheave
    JBS Performance Suspension Springs
    Team Alba Racing ECU
    Rigid Side Shooter Led
    Yamaha Cab Enclosure
    Bazooka Party Bar

You can't run 60 mph without the rpm's screaming anyway you look at it.
    Sure you can hit 60 + but the RPM's will be pretty high.

With stock tires it's about 8,400 rpm with JBS sheave, larger tires would bring it down some. X4/X2 aren't built to run high speeds, Yamaha has them geared low.

"
    Team Alba Racing ECU
    Rigid Side Shooter Led
    Yamaha Cab Enclosure
    Bazooka Party Bar

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmi View Post
    Dr Pulley overdrive weights are definitely the best performers. James has his custom made by Dr Pulley. (they have the patent on them)
    And as you say, use Yamalube on them, they perform better than without grease. I'll let James advise you on what gram weights to go with.
    I have 16's on my X2 which works great for me since I run mountain trails, I seldom get to 40 mph and not for long distances when I do. I can still ride roads at 50 mph with stock tires and not be revving the engine too high. When I replace my tires with larger size, I will be ok still with the light weights.
    The way James sets up his clutch you get quicker belt engagement from zero mph, much easier on the wet clutch, and you get some added top speed also.
    Thanks for the input. I thought maybe 18gram weights. Yeah have to talk to James and see what he advises. I for sure want low end and quicker engagement. Top end I'd still like to be able to hit 60mph. That's with my heavier tires. Figured the OD weights and cam plate, sheave get greased up like the 1st gen wolverine or rhino.

If you're going to be driving 40 mph plus frequently the 16's are probably going to be too light. Like you say, get with James about it, he's the clutching guru, I'm just the PR guy

Quote Originally Posted by InfidelMT View Post
    Thanks for the input. I thought maybe 18gram weights. Yeah have to talk to James and see what he advises. I for sure want low end and quicker engagement. Top end I'd still like to be able to hit 60mph. That's with my heavier tires. Figured the OD weights and cam plate, sheave get greased up like the 1st gen wolverine or rhino.

"
    Team Alba Racing ECU
    Rigid Side Shooter Led
    Yamaha Cab Enclosure
    Bazooka Party Bar

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmi View Post
    If you're going to be driving 40 mph plus frequently the 16's are probably going to be too light. Like you say, get with James about it, he's the clutching guru, I'm just the PR guy
    Agreed. Think the 16's will be too light. I'll get with the guru tomorrow.