Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Brakes?

Quote Originally Posted by shortbus453 View Post
    With 865 miles on my X4, I was doing an inspection on the machine and noted that the inside rears were completely gone. Doing some research shows that Yamaha was friendly enough to use the same pads on the OG Wolverine, Viking, and now the X2/X4. This is only for the 4 corners (obviously all 4 have their own design) and the parking brakes all have a different part number.

I took a chance on the Race Driven pads because I could get them cheap and quick from Amazon and we will see how they hold up, but I am not expecting much for $68/set (no parking brake). If these don't hold up, the EBC will be my next purchase because I am NOT changing pads every other month.

When doing the pads, make sure to lube the pistons prior to pushing them back in, and clean/lube all of the pins as good as you can to get the most movement possible.
    Rear calipers are the same as the OG Wolverine too. Broke both my rears on second trip out on the X4. The X4 had only been out a couple of months and there were no used parts for it yet but I got a cheap set off Ebay for the OG Wolverine and they've worked great since. However, I also had the rear inner pad wore down at 1000 miles. I went back with OEM pads and lubed everything with synthetic brake grease. We'll see how they do. Probably go with EBC next time.
    2018 Blue Wolverine X4
    JBS Sheave
    JBS Springs
    Alba Tune

Awesome info, thanks! I don't have a service manual yet, let me know where to get one if you can. I have one for my grizzly 660 and other bikes. Figured about 5 ft/lbs for the retainer pins and 30 ft/lbs for the caliper bracket.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

you can download manual off Wolverineforum for free. The pins are 11ftlb w/ antiseize and the caliper bolts are 35ftlb.
    I just went through my brakes at 1450 miles, rears gone, fronts less than half gone but one caliper bracket 'frozen' due to sliders (saved it) and had one rear caliper bracket 'frozen'. Service The Sliders!
    Edit- Manual is a 27MB file and I do not know how to do Dropbox very well but if you cannot get it off the other site PM me and I will try to get it to you. And encourage you to download it to your phone too...I have it in my iBooks and great to have with you on the trail.
    2016 Wolverine R-Spec EPS, Camo, fender ext. 4000 Moto winch w/syn rope, 14"Method B-locks, 27" Maxxis Vipr 9 & 11's, Full flip windshield, A-arm guards, 2 batts, JBS CVT grind, 16 OD, slugs, purple, JBS/Eibach springs, Autometer Temp Gauge
    08 Rhino 700 SE Black Armor, JBS 734 (bbk w/Carillo crank & rod, CP 11:1, deshrouded valves, Raptor springs, Viking cam & FI, MSD, afr Gauge, Unleashed sheave w/JBS OD 18g greased, Purple, slugs, 27" Mudlite XTRs , 6" Chopped , Mishi Rad, ALBA exhaust

I have been hearing some brake rubbing which kind of drives me crazy. I'm guessing it's the rear because they are basically gone with probably a couple rides left on the front.

With my machine it never really made any noise. I had recently went trail riding in a sandy area that had gotten a bit of rain and managed to find a hole that was deeper than I thought it would be. So I was cleaning it all up from that and noticed that the parking brake was full of grit. I pulled the wheels to clean and check everything, and discovered the state of the rears. I then went through all of the brakes to lube them up nice and make sure that they were free of unnecessary grit. Everything is pretty smooth now.
    2015 Yamaha Viking VI EPS (Camo):
    -JBS Extreme Sheave, JBS Skids, JBS Arm Guards, JBS AIS Block Off, JBS Rad Guards, JBS Slug Kit, 28" Terrabites/14" Hurricanes

2018 Yamaha Wolverine X4 SE (Silver):
    -JBS Extreme Sheave, JBS Spring Kit, 28” Terrabites/14" Hurricanes, Weller ECM Flash

I never heard anything out of mine...but I have this ringing in my old ears anyway lol. I decided to try some cheap Amazon semi-metalllics as the OEM and most others were what I thought was too expensive to not last very long. I was hoping to find some ceramic or carbon type pads. My Rhino would squeel with semi-met on it and I found some cheap ceramic pads that did not last a long time but were cheap, quiet, did not wear the rotor and stopped better. I would love to find such but can't. I do not mind changing cheap pads as I figure you need to service those bracket sliders anyway and it does not take very long.
    2016 Wolverine R-Spec EPS, Camo, fender ext. 4000 Moto winch w/syn rope, 14"Method B-locks, 27" Maxxis Vipr 9 & 11's, Full flip windshield, A-arm guards, 2 batts, JBS CVT grind, 16 OD, slugs, purple, JBS/Eibach springs, Autometer Temp Gauge
    08 Rhino 700 SE Black Armor, JBS 734 (bbk w/Carillo crank & rod, CP 11:1, deshrouded valves, Raptor springs, Viking cam & FI, MSD, afr Gauge, Unleashed sheave w/JBS OD 18g greased, Purple, slugs, 27" Mudlite XTRs , 6" Chopped , Mishi Rad, ALBA exhaust

Quote Originally Posted by jimclemjr View Post
    you can download manual off Wolverineforum for free. The pins are 11ftlb w/ antiseize and the caliper bolts are 35ftlb.
    I just went through my brakes at 1450 miles, rears gone, fronts less than half gone but one caliper bracket 'frozen' due to sliders (saved it) and had one rear caliper bracket 'frozen'. Service The Sliders!
    Edit- Manual is a 27MB file and I do not know how to do Dropbox very well but if you cannot get it off the other site PM me and I will try to get it to you. And encourage you to download it to your phone too...I have it in my iBooks and great to have with you on the trail.
    They have a manual for the X4? The OG Wolverine manual is on this forum https://hotrodforums.net/forums/show...ice-Manual-pdf. I would imagine almost everything in the brake section applies to our brakes as well.
    2018 Blue Wolverine X4
    JBS Sheave
    JBS Springs
    Alba Tune

Quote Originally Posted by duckmans83 View Post
    I have been hearing some brake rubbing which kind of drives me crazy. I'm guessing it's the rear because they are basically gone with probably a couple rides left on the front.

Mine didn't make any noise that I remember.
    2018 Blue Wolverine X4
    JBS Sheave
    JBS Springs
    Alba Tune

Oh no sorry Rebel I did not notice this was X machine thread. I never looked at my manual for Rhino or Wolverine after the Grizzly other than torque values ha they are all about the same. But do not know firsthand about X machines.

I have a portal lift so maybe something off with that. Had some longer rear brake lines. I will Bleed them again when I do pads.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12