Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brakes?

Brakes?

My rear brakes are just about done. Anyone else replace a set yet? They are about $30+ each side. Where are y'all getting pads if you've had to yet?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

EBC from JBS

"
    White Shadow " Wolverine X2
    JBS Performance Extreme Sheave
    JBS Performance Suspension Springs
    Team Alba Racing ECU
    Rigid Side Shooter Led
    Yamaha Cab Enclosure
    Bazooka Party Bar

3. Likes duckmans83 liked this post
    Think he's up? On the way to yamaha now. Also need a insulator pad for the passenger rear side. Fell off the first ride and not worth getting warranty work done for $14.

With 865 miles on my X4, I was doing an inspection on the machine and noted that the inside rears were completely gone. Doing some research shows that Yamaha was friendly enough to use the same pads on the OG Wolverine, Viking, and now the X2/X4. This is only for the 4 corners (obviously all 4 have their own design) and the parking brakes all have a different part number.

I took a chance on the Race Driven pads because I could get them cheap and quick from Amazon and we will see how they hold up, but I am not expecting much for $68/set (no parking brake). If these don't hold up, the EBC will be my next purchase because I am NOT changing pads every other month.

When doing the pads, make sure to lube the pistons prior to pushing them back in, and clean/lube all of the pins as good as you can to get the most movement possible.
    2015 Yamaha Viking VI EPS (Camo):
    -JBS Extreme Sheave, JBS Skids, JBS Arm Guards, JBS AIS Block Off, JBS Rad Guards, JBS Slug Kit, 28" Terrabites/14" Hurricanes

2018 Yamaha Wolverine X4 SE (Silver):
    -JBS Extreme Sheave, JBS Spring Kit, 28” Terrabites/14" Hurricanes, Weller ECM Flash

Let us know. What do you mean lube the piston?

The pistons on the calipers will be WAY out. They get enough dirt on them and are basically dry (*they have 2 o-rings to seal them, 1 for sealing in brake fluid, 1 for sealing out dirt). So you brush them off as best as you can, shoot a shot of brake cleaner on them, wait for the brake cleaner to dry, then shoot a shot of WD-40 (or similar) on them and rub it around with your finger. Then push the pistons back in to reset them.

I will be riding this weekend, so I hope to be able to say if the $68 (only used the back pads because the fronts were still good) was worth it.
    -JBS Extreme Sheave, JBS Skids, JBS Arm Guards, JBS AIS Block Off, JBS Rad Guards, JBS Slug Kit, 28" Terrabites/14" Hurricanes

-JBS Extreme Sheave, JBS Spring Kit, 28” Terrabites/14" Hurricanes, Weller ECM Flash

For the pins. There are 2 pins that hold the pads in, those were pretty rough already. I cleaned mine up with a wire wheel and lubed them with Silicone brake pin lube (Autozone or the likes should have something). I then took apart the sliders on the calipers, and wiped those clean. There was a bit of lube on them, and they were not dirty at all. So they got some of the same lube on them and reinstalled everything. After I had everything together, with my hands I flexed everything to make sure that the movement was good.

9. Thanks Timmi thanked for this post

Like with any brake job, make sure to clean up all of the surfaces with some brake cleaner to remove any grease from your hands or other. And remember that there is a "break-in" on brake pads before they will work best.

And keep an eye on the master cylinder fluid levels. If you added brake fluid at any point (or the dealer during any service), when you push the pistons back in to reset them, the fluid could become over full.

After you have both sides installed, you will need to "pump" the brakes back up to move the pistons and pads out to their normal operating position. The pedal will be very soft during this and will likely take a few pumps and then pressure will be present on the pedal.

11. Thanks Timmi thanked for this post
    They start milling early
    Quote Originally Posted by duckmans83 View Post
    Think he's up? On the way to yamaha now. Also need a insulator pad for the passenger rear side. Fell off the first ride and not worth getting warranty work done for $14.

"
    White Shadow " Wolverine X2
    JBS Performance Extreme Sheave
    JBS Performance Suspension Springs
    Team Alba Racing ECU
    Rigid Side Shooter Led
    Yamaha Cab Enclosure
    Bazooka Party Bar

You need to take the mounting bracket off the caliper and service the sliders, not to be confused with the brake retainer pins. Service manual has specs, torques and procedures. When reassembling calipers be sure to use antisieze on the threads only of the pad retainer pins.
    When the sliders get dry they bind the caliper and keep the caliper pressure from relaxing and it wears the inside pads prematurely. If the pads are worn evenly they are not binding but sliders need to still be serviced. Some synthetic brake grease at auto parts store.
    2016 Wolverine R-Spec EPS, Camo, fender ext. 4000 Moto winch w/syn rope, 14"Method B-locks, 27" Maxxis Vipr 9 & 11's, Full flip windshield, A-arm guards, 2 batts, JBS CVT grind, 16 OD, slugs, purple, JBS/Eibach springs, Autometer Temp Gauge
    08 Rhino 700 SE Black Armor, JBS 734 (bbk w/Carillo crank & rod, CP 11:1, deshrouded valves, Raptor springs, Viking cam & FI, MSD, afr Gauge, Unleashed sheave w/JBS OD 18g greased, Purple, slugs, 27" Mudlite XTRs , 6" Chopped , Mishi Rad, ALBA exhaust

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast