Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  7
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Another thing that had me leaning toward the KYB's was my experience on my Motocross Race bikes. Of course the factory valving on the MX bikes was not going to work for my application at the time, but that was a very specific application with a very specific rider weight. So with these machines, a simple spring change for better quality springs, and a rate that is closer to the real world application, should yield good results. Otherwise, if ridden on for a time and adjustments are far too soft or hard, a revalve shouldn't be hard with a MX Suspension shop, as they should be able to measure the valve shims and listen to what you are asking them to do. They wouldn't likely have the direct testing feedback to get you instantly into the ballpark, but if it was an extreme, they should be able to get you close.

Also, I was thinking that there are a lot more guys out there with the KYB equipted Yamaha SxS's to be able to either get another set down the road, or be able to share setting advise.
    2015 Yamaha Viking VI EPS (Camo):
    -JBS Extreme Sheave, JBS Skids, JBS Arm Guards, JBS AIS Block Off, JBS Rad Guards, JBS Slug Kit, 28" Terrabites/14" Hurricanes

2018 Yamaha Wolverine X4 SE (Silver):
    -JBS Extreme Sheave, JBS Spring Kit, 28” Terrabites/14" Hurricanes, Weller ECM Flash

To support your position...my nephew has a small shock business for the quad racing crowd and the KYBs are popular on the quads. He just changed out my oil and recharged them on my Rhino KYBs (6 yrs old at the time) and it made a significant difference in their performance. Shocks need maintenance too. And I think you are right that with a little more knowledge base on these units they can be setup for the fun riders although maybe not for full bore racing.
    2016 Wolverine R-Spec EPS, Camo, fender ext. 4000 Moto winch w/syn rope, 14"Method B-locks, 27" Maxxis Vipr 9 & 11's, Full flip windshield, A-arm guards, 2 batts, JBS CVT grind, 16 OD, slugs, purple, JBS/Eibach springs, Autometer Temp Gauge
    08 Rhino 700 SE Black Armor, JBS 734 (bbk w/Carillo crank & rod, CP 11:1, deshrouded valves, Raptor springs, Viking cam & FI, MSD, afr Gauge, Unleashed sheave w/JBS OD 18g greased, Purple, slugs, 27" Mudlite XTRs , 6" Chopped , Mishi Rad, ALBA exhaust

Very interesting. Keep us posted on your results.
    2018 Blue Wolverine X4
    JBS Sheave
    JBS Springs
    Alba Tune

Got shipping notification on my shocks. According to FedEx they are supposed to arrive on the 23rd. Hoping to get a set of JBS springs for them shortly after, so I can get them installed and set up.
    -JBS Extreme Sheave, JBS Skids, JBS Arm Guards, JBS AIS Block Off, JBS Rad Guards, JBS Slug Kit, 28" Terrabites/14" Hurricanes

-JBS Extreme Sheave, JBS Spring Kit, 28” Terrabites/14" Hurricanes, Weller ECM Flash

Quote Originally Posted by shortbus453 View Post
    Got shipping notification on my shocks. According to FedEx they are supposed to arrive on the 23rd. Hoping to get a set of JBS springs for them shortly after, so I can get them installed and set up.
    JBS Springs are a game-changer for those shocks

"
    White Shadow " Wolverine X2
    JBS Performance Extreme Sheave
    JBS Performance Suspension Springs
    Team Alba Racing ECU
    Rigid Side Shooter Led
    Yamaha Cab Enclosure
    Bazooka Party Bar

Springs were a game changer for the stock X4 shocks. I'm sure the X2 shocks with springs would be awesome but out of my financial reach. Three birthdays, July 4th, and an anniversary in July has drained my funds for upgrading my sheave to the latest version which is my next priority.
    2018 Blue Wolverine X4
    JBS Sheave
    JBS Springs
    Alba Tune

According to FedEX the shocks are supposed to be here this evening. I am trying to decide if I should mount them now with the OEM springs, or wait until I get the JBS Springs. I know that the JBS Springs really helped out the X4 OEM Shocks, so I am expecting the same from the X2 R-Spec Shocks.

So, I am looking for settings where people have gotten good results.

I'd go ahead and mount them. Then you can compare stock vs JBS springs for us later on when your springs come in. Also curious how stock X2 shocks vs X4 shocks with JBS springs compare.
    2018 Blue Wolverine X4
    JBS Sheave
    JBS Springs
    Alba Tune

9. Likes shortbus453 liked this post
    Now I really do not have a clue...but you might check with James to see if the X4 OEM are same diameter as X2 or someone may get you a dimension. I would wait if me but its not all that much work either lol.
    2016 Wolverine R-Spec EPS, Camo, fender ext. 4000 Moto winch w/syn rope, 14"Method B-locks, 27" Maxxis Vipr 9 & 11's, Full flip windshield, A-arm guards, 2 batts, JBS CVT grind, 16 OD, slugs, purple, JBS/Eibach springs, Autometer Temp Gauge
    08 Rhino 700 SE Black Armor, JBS 734 (bbk w/Carillo crank & rod, CP 11:1, deshrouded valves, Raptor springs, Viking cam & FI, MSD, afr Gauge, Unleashed sheave w/JBS OD 18g greased, Purple, slugs, 27" Mudlite XTRs , 6" Chopped , Mishi Rad, ALBA exhaust

Well, got 3 of the 4 shocks. Apparently the 4th is on back-order for as much as another 3 weeks. This stinks to have the project this close, but still waiting.

As far as the JBS springs. James said that the front springs are the same between the X4 and X2 Rspec, but the rears are different. If the springs are here when the last shock arrives, they will be going straight on. If the springs are still due out, then I will install and get to setting the shocks for my machine.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast