Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  1

06 660 Rhino Creeping in Gear after riding

Greetings gents,

Just picked up my (wife's) rhino in May and have been on travel for work since. Now that I am home I've changed oil, filter, spark plug, and rear diff oil. Today was the first time Ive been able to ride/use it more than 30 minutes since Ive had it. Specs are @ 230 hrs and about 800 miles, 686 kit with cam, carb, and secondary spring. I havent been into the clutches at all since Ive had it but until today it worked fine. (going into clutches is on the upcoming to do list).

Anyway, wife and I used the rhino today to haul about 200lbs of flower/mulch debris back to the farm and then cut a few laps around the back 40 (@10-12 miles total round trip). On our second trip back there I put it in low 4wd to crawl up a short trail we have for the other atvs and when I stopped at the top of the hill it wanted to creep in all ranges H, L, and R. Not creeping badly since I was able to get it out of gear and then it stopped doing it altogether.

So, we rode back to the house to grab another round of libations :grinand then cut another loop around the small part of the farm (@ 4 miles). WHen we got back to the house it was hard to get out of gear again and then would creep no matter what gear you put it in...

My question for you guys (coming from Polaris) is what do I need to look at? One way bearing? Wet clutch? All of the above?

Thanks for putting up with my Newb Question, I am quickly learning about the Yamaha clutching system and obviously coming from Polaris the wet clutch is new to me as well as the rollers and grease in the primary.

THanks for any and all input, looking forward to learning more about Yamaha and the drivetrain of the start of the sxs game.

-j-rod
    ================================================== ==

-j-rod

'06 Rhino 660

Hey sorry this post required approval and it just popped up.

"
    White Shadow " Wolverine X2
    JBS Performance Extreme Sheave
    JBS Performance Suspension Springs
    Team Alba Racing ECU
    Rigid Side Shooter Led
    Yamaha Cab Enclosure
    Bazooka Party Bar

3. Likes jhama78 liked this post
    Has the idle increased at all? My first thing would be to check that as it is an older machine. Carb could be dirty etc.

5. Thanks jhama78 thanked for this post
    Quote Originally Posted by dygz21 View Post
    Has the idle increased at all? My first thing would be to check that as it is an older machine. Carb could be dirty etc.
    Thats the crazy thing, the idle hadnt increased, the choke was all the way in and then later in the evening once everything had cooled down it wasnt doing it any more...

Either way, I plan to pull the belt cover this week and take a peek inside there. I have a new belt in hand but I dont think that is going to do anything considering the wet clutch is what controls creeping... Might just be a good time to go ahead and pull the wet clutch to inspect/replace/slug and then go ahead with some JBS parts as it goes back together...
    ================================================== ==

-j-rod

'06 Rhino 660

800 miles should not be a wet clutch issue all things being equal but with some sludge in there, maybe. But you have a lot of hours for the miles, and maybe indicates stop and go's which will prematurely wear the clutch but not typically make it grab. I have found by using a little digital tach, the rpm can vary by a couple hundred and you can hardly hear it so I would first of all adjust the carb and make sure it is at proper idle. Check all the tubes, hoses and ports on carb and make sure there are no air leaks.
    2016 Wolverine R-Spec EPS, Camo, fender ext. 4000 Moto winch w/syn rope, 14"Method B-locks, 27" Maxxis Vipr 9 & 11's, Full flip windshield, A-arm guards, 2 batts, JBS CVT grind, 16 OD, slugs, purple, JBS/Eibach springs, Autometer Temp Gauge
    08 Rhino 700 SE Black Armor, JBS 734 (bbk w/Carillo crank & rod, CP 11:1, deshrouded valves, Raptor springs, Viking cam & FI, MSD, afr Gauge, Unleashed sheave w/JBS OD 18g greased, Purple, slugs, 27" Mudlite XTRs , 6" Chopped , Mishi Rad, ALBA exhaust

8. Thanks jhama78 thanked for this post