Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Rear Diff Vent Tube

I have had some rear diff leakage obvious from diff oil cream. It seems to have slowed but could not figure why with only 1450 miles. While reinstalling my motor I had to pull the axles and rotate the diff to put in driveshaft so I detached the vent tube. After I got the Wolv I checked the vent tube routing that most know abut and it was low and so put it up high. But I never checked the hose. While installing new seals, I looked at the vent tube outlet and it was full of mud. Got to checking hose and yep it was totally blocked, it must have had 6" of its length totally full of dried caked dirt in it, mostly at bottom loop. I initially could not blow compressed air thru it. I did thoroughly clean it out and will reinstall the correct way. I guess I am a little embarrassed for trusting that the hose was open and doing its job. So why would this clogged vent hose make it leak? I believe without the ambient atmosphere available for the diff to release heat and pull in clean fresh air, when it gets as hot as those diffs do, it will vent the pressure thru the seals and when it cools like going thru a stream or even stopping for a few minutes in water, it can create a vacuum to pull in the water with the air trying to equalize the pressure. Mostly I just wanted to share the need to check the rogue rear diff vent hose if you never have, you should be able to blow through it.
    2016 Wolverine R-Spec EPS, Camo, fender ext. 4000 Moto winch w/syn rope, 14"Method B-locks, 27" Maxxis Vipr 9 & 11's, Full flip windshield, A-arm guards, 2 batts, JBS CVT grind, 16 OD, slugs, purple, JBS/Eibach springs, Autometer Temp Gauge
    08 Rhino 700 SE Black Armor, JBS 734 (bbk w/Carillo crank & rod, CP 11:1, deshrouded valves, Raptor springs, Viking cam & FI, MSD, afr Gauge, Unleashed sheave w/JBS OD 18g greased, Purple, slugs, 27" Mudlite XTRs , 6" Chopped , Mishi Rad, ALBA exhaust

i called Nikki and ordered seals this morning for my rear diff on my viking, my hose is not clogged but i have not checked to see if its clogged at the 90 degree angled nipple at the top of diff though. kind of curious what kind of pain its going to be to pull that diff out to replace the seals.
    2015 Viking EPS SE
    KFI Stealth 4500s
    KFI 72" Open Trail Plow
    SuperATV Flip Up Windshield
    SuperATV Side Mirrors
    Seizmik Soft Rear Window
    IR Backup Camera
    42" LED Light Bar
    JBS Extreme Sheave
    JBS Slug Kit
    Black & Gray YXZ seats
    JBS Doors