Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Performance mods that work

Lets see what performance mods you've done. Opinions of what you gained, pics, and or install tutorials would be great. I'm thinking more on the performance side and less on the accessories.

For me.

Air box mod. I didn't really see a difference
    JBS springs. Gained some lift and rides much smoother
    JBS sheave V1. All around performance. Pulls like a diesel in low and allows me to ride pretty much all trails in high now. Also Accelerates much quicker.
    2018 Blue Wolverine X4
    JBS Sheave
    JBS Springs
    Alba Tune

2. Likes WV Hot Rod Rhino liked this post
    see my signature
    2016 Alpine white Wolverine EPS
    Kenwood 2-way radio w/frs frequencies
    Super ATV half windshield tinted
    Viper Max 4000 widespool winch
    Dragonfire 3" 4-point harnesses
    2" Super ATV lift
    Pyle audio system
    Yamaha over fenders
    4" cage chop
    27" tusk Terabites
    JBS extreme sheave
    16g OD weights
    Purple Eibach Spring
    Slugs
    JBS Doors

4. Likes WV Hot Rod Rhino liked this post
    I have a exhaust coming to do more testing with

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk
    James Davis
    If you have questions call me!!!
    304-673-2602
    304-877-3419
    Check out our web https://jbsperformance.com/
    Email to - jbsperformanceinc@aol.com
    Ship to - 131 Davis Ct., Mt. Hope, WV 25880

6. Likes Timmi liked this post
    I had heard that and have been waiting for you to make an announcement.
    2018 Blue Wolverine X4
    JBS Sheave
    JBS Springs
    Alba Tune

JBS clutch and JBS springs of course. Just added YXZ wheels/tires, way better riding than the stockers and way quieter on paved roads.

"
    White Shadow " Wolverine X2
    JBS Performance Extreme Sheave
    JBS Performance Suspension Springs
    Team Alba Racing ECU
    Rigid Side Shooter Led
    Yamaha Cab Enclosure
    Bazooka Party Bar

28" ocellot tires on tusk 14" rims: love the rims but hate the tires. 28" tires have been the best performance mod to date. the machine does 0-50 quicker than it did on stockers
    weller ecu flash: got rid of the limiter and lowered the fan temp. No real performance gain to speak of. Kinda hate the idle surge that is sometimes has. I'm going to send it back as they claim to be able to fix it.
    HMF exhaust: Love the look and the sound but again, no real performance gain. Probably reduces exhaust heat build up though due to the lack of a cat.
    Front sway bar disconnected: so far no real negative but rides much better.

I plan to do some suspension upgrades. Looking at the JBS springs because I want to retain the stock ride leveling shocks. I'm unsure what to do with the fronts as of now. I don't really like the cheap shocks that come on them and would like some more adjustabiltiy.
    Some sort of clutching is in my future. I am content for now with the larger tires and stock clutch. Really the only negative right now is that there is extra effort to get the machine rolling. Once it is moving, the accelleration is fine and I am topping out at around 57mph.
    I am hoping that the rear A arms from the 2020 models will swap over or someone will come out with a kit to move the rear wheels back an inch or so.

So far I have:
    -Airbox mod: haven't really seen a lot of improvement, does give MAYBE 1 MPH more on a long paved section
    -Weller ECM Flash: Removed the limiter, and lowered the fan temp. Mine also needs to go back for the surging issue. Mileage is down slightly also. I wouldn't say that it has any more "power", but still worth it to remove the limiter.
    -JBS V1 Sheave: Changed to the 18gr OD's. Pulls a lot better off the bottom, and carries into the top end being better.
    -JBS Springs (on X4 Shocks): Small Lift, and seems a lot more stable. Rides a bunch better than OEM

Coming:
    -KYB X2 R-Spec Shocks: Hoping for adjustability for when I am doing Rocks vs trails... (Getting JBS Springs for these also)
    -XT-R Rear Arms: If they move the wheels and will work on the 2018...
    2015 Yamaha Viking VI EPS (Camo):
    -JBS Extreme Sheave, JBS Skids, JBS Arm Guards, JBS AIS Block Off, JBS Rad Guards, JBS Slug Kit, 28" Terrabites/14" Hurricanes

2018 Yamaha Wolverine X4 SE (Silver):
    -JBS Extreme Sheave, JBS Spring Kit, 28” Terrabites/14" Hurricanes, Weller ECM Flash

works great

-weller flash , jbs clutching version 1, stock exhaust
    -proper set up of kyb resi. shocks. hoping soon to come JBS springs
    -28" tires with 14" beadlocks. running 10psi.

Does not work (needs major tweaking to make work)

-combination of HMF, JBS version 1, weller flash

Future mods to test (going to take time as products are in development)
    -New JBS/Alba exhaust
    -Weller turbo
    -lighter secondary spring and JBS version 2

James is working with exhaust mods now. I have seen some claims of improved performance with aftermarket exhaust but no real proof. If you want to keep self leveling shocks, JBS springs soften the ride considerably while giving lift. Rspec shocks from the X2 fit the X4 if you can get a good price on them new or used. They are KYB stage 4 shocks, but some people are replacing them with aftermarket stage 1 or stage 2 shocks because they think the KYB shock is the cause for the harsh ride.
    JBS clutch will improve the take off, acceleration and top end of even a stock bike.

Quote Originally Posted by kevin5881 View Post
    28" ocellot tires on tusk 14" rims: love the rims but hate the tires. 28" tires have been the best performance mod to date. the machine does 0-50 quicker than it did on stockers
    weller ecu flash: got rid of the limiter and lowered the fan temp. No real performance gain to speak of. Kinda hate the idle surge that is sometimes has. I'm going to send it back as they claim to be able to fix it.
    HMF exhaust: Love the look and the sound but again, no real performance gain. Probably reduces exhaust heat build up though due to the lack of a cat.
    Front sway bar disconnected: so far no real negative but rides much better.

I plan to do some suspension upgrades. Looking at the JBS springs because I want to retain the stock ride leveling shocks. I'm unsure what to do with the fronts as of now. I don't really like the cheap shocks that come on them and would like some more adjustabiltiy.
    Some sort of clutching is in my future. I am content for now with the larger tires and stock clutch. Really the only negative right now is that there is extra effort to get the machine rolling. Once it is moving, the accelleration is fine and I am topping out at around 57mph.
    I am hoping that the rear A arms from the 2020 models will swap over or someone will come out with a kit to move the rear wheels back an inch or so.

"
    Team Alba Racing ECU
    Rigid Side Shooter Led
    Yamaha Cab Enclosure
    Bazooka Party Bar

JBS clutching isn't done to match aftermarket exhaust so you won't see the difference in "version 1" or "version 2". I have one of the first clutches James did for the X2/X4 and it runs 64-65 mph with stock or 27" tires and stock exhaust. Acceleration is where exhaust would show up most but the ecu mapping must be correct for it. James is working on that now.

Quote Originally Posted by 19Wherry View Post
    works great

-weller flash , jbs clutching version 1, stock exhaust
    -proper set up of kyb resi. shocks. hoping soon to come JBS springs
    -28" tires with 14" beadlocks. running 10psi.

Does not work (needs major tweaking to make work)

-combination of HMF, JBS version 1, weller flash

Future mods to test (going to take time as products are in development)
    -New JBS/Alba exhaust
    -Weller turbo
    -lighter secondary spring and JBS version 2

"
    Team Alba Racing ECU
    Rigid Side Shooter Led
    Yamaha Cab Enclosure
    Bazooka Party Bar

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast