Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Hi Beams blow fuse - con"fused" again

Our '06 660 has another electrical gremlin, may have been there for awhile as we are rarely out after dark; but a few nights ago we were visiting just up the road and had to creep home without lights.
    Found the 15A fuse blown, replaced and we had lows and rears, but when turned to high beams the fuse popped again.
    Thought the yellow high beam wire had a short to ground, couldn't find it and was preparing to jumper in another yellow outside of the harness, but was reluctant to do more cutting. I think my confusion started because one bulb was still connected and showed continuity to grd through the filament?
    Remembered the suggestion from SteveS last year, when fixing the signal fuse blowing, to put a light across the fuse connections. Managed to cobble something up and added to the confusion, only connected one headlight, and my 25w "fuse" bulb was dim with low beam also dim; turned to highs and the test bulb was bright and no headlight. Thought this confirmed the short, Y to Blk somewhere, but when I checked the Y at the connector to blk / grd it was fine???
    Then tried again, test light was now dim on low and hi beams, but noticed that it went "bright" as the switch was turned and there was a position between where it would remain bright, thinking maybe giving Hi + Lo and blowing that fuse????
    Switch is now in pieces, looks ok, but will clean and look closer tomorrow.
    Thinking will put fused 12v to the Y and Grn at the lite switch end to rule out harness problems.
    Relays and better lights maybe in its future.
    Wondering if anyone else has gone thro' this? Thoughts appreciated.
    Hope I can sleep tonight.
    Trevor T
    in Durham ON

Went thru same issues on an 06 as well tried doing everything but nded up replacing wiring segments with OEM PARTS AND FIXED ALL OUR PROBLEMS. Started at the bulb segments and worked back toward main harness. one side was short wires to one side shorting inside plug.

Quote Originally Posted by keeter View Post
    Went thru same issues on an 06 as well tried doing everything but nded up replacing wiring segments with OEM PARTS AND FIXED ALL OUR PROBLEMS. Started at the bulb segments and worked back toward main harness. one side was short wires to one side shorting inside plug.
    Well, that is not good to hear Keeter, but good to know that you resolved your problems, although it sounds a bit expensive for me. I can see me rewiring the lights outside of the origial harness with relays etc as a last resort. Luckily no rush at the moment, time to think.
    Cheers, Trevor

4. Likes keeter liked this post
    Hi again, should have asked, was that short at one of the 3 pin connectors near the lights? Male or female? Will take a closer look.
    Thanks again
    Trevor T

It was the female connector close to light assembly. also corroded

It was he female connector close to light assembly. the connecter and wire were corroded quite a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by keeter View Post
    It was he female connector close to light assembly. the connecter and wire were corroded quite a bit.
    Thank you Keeter, I came close to cutting wires, but it is still all original and the high beams are working without blowing the fuse. Switch has been cleaned and reinstalled, nothing out of place in it.
    Found the rhs bulb socket failing, old age? The bulb was at a crazy angle, not being held by the little plastic "snap fingers". They were still there but cracked and weak. Backed them up with pieces of rubber for a quick fix, but a replacement socket is now on the list.
    Looking into upgrades over the winter, wheels and tyres, Dynatek ignition and some cvt mods so we can keep up with the neighbours....
    Thanks again, Trevor