Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Rear end hot to touch

I went out to check my trail cams today about an hour ride...rough terrain.
    When loading the SxS up, I noticed some axle grease leaking outta my boot. I touch it to wipe it off and see if I tore a boot and noticed the axle where it goes into the rear end was extremely hot...hot enough that you couldn't hold your hand on it. The whole housing was hot as hell...it wouldn't sizzle if you spit on it but it was close.
    I changed my axle boot this week and topped the rear end off with oil when I was finished.
    Has anyone had this trouble as well?
    I never felt it before I done my axle boots so it may have always been running hot

I haven't noticed this but then again I haven't touched my rear end after riding. I'll try to remember to check the next time I'm out for a spin.
    2018 Blue Wolverine X4
    JBS Sheave
    JBS Springs
    Alba Tune

When I smoked a rear CV boot, I noticed this on my machine also. Was kind of shocking how hot it actually was. I spoke with James about it and he suggested trying to put as much oil (of as high a quality) as possible. I now kind of keep an eye on it trying to make sure that it isn't putting additional stress on the working operation of that system.
    2015 Yamaha Viking VI EPS (Camo):
    -JBS Extreme Sheave, JBS Skids, JBS Arm Guards, JBS AIS Block Off, JBS Rad Guards, JBS Slug Kit, 28" Terrabites/14" Hurricanes

2018 Yamaha Wolverine X4 SE (Silver):
    -JBS Extreme Sheave, JBS Spring Kit, 28” Terrabites/14" Hurricanes, Weller ECM Flash

I made a couple of heat shields above and below the exhaust to try and protect the rest of the Wolv from the inferno chamber. I think it is helping but I did not put a heat gun on diff before and after.
    2016 Wolverine R-Spec EPS, Camo, fender ext. 4000 Moto winch w/syn rope, 14"Method B-locks, 27" Maxxis Vipr 9 & 11's, Full flip windshield, A-arm guards, 2 batts, JBS CVT grind, 16 OD, slugs, purple, JBS/Eibach springs, Autometer Temp Gauge
    08 Rhino 700 SE Black Armor, JBS 734 (bbk w/Carillo crank & rod, CP 11:1, deshrouded valves, Raptor springs, Viking cam & FI, MSD, afr Gauge, Unleashed sheave w/JBS OD 18g greased, Purple, slugs, 27" Mudlite XTRs , 6" Chopped , Mishi Rad, ALBA exhaust