Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Bruin 350 4x4 CVT Issue

I have a 2004 bruin 350 4x4. I recently replaced the cvt belt and cleaned and re-greased the sheeve internals. Now when I put it into forward or reverse it moves before throttle input. If I try to stop it by braking it kills the engine. Any ideas what the problem could be.

I am not the expert on this machine by any means, but I believe that it follows suit with the rest of the Yamaha's and has a wet clutch. If the idle is set too high, the wet clutch can engage immediately vs waiting for throttle input.

Also if it has a wet clutch, the oil could be really nasty in there and the shoes are not moving freely.

Was the original belt that was replaced a OEM Yamaha? The original belt? Replaced with an OEM Yamaha?
    2015 Yamaha Viking VI EPS (Camo):
    -JBS Extreme Sheave, JBS Skids, JBS Arm Guards, JBS AIS Block Off, JBS Rad Guards, JBS Slug Kit, 28" Terrabites/14" Hurricanes

2018 Yamaha Wolverine X4 SE (Silver):
    -JBS Extreme Sheave, JBS Spring Kit, 28” Terrabites/14" Hurricanes, Weller ECM Flash

one way bearing is in backwards

"
    White Shadow " Wolverine X2
    JBS Performance Extreme Sheave
    JBS Performance Suspension Springs
    Team Alba Racing ECU
    Rigid Side Shooter Led
    Yamaha Cab Enclosure
    Bazooka Party Bar

One way bearing?

I would say that it is doubtful that the one-way bearing was placed in backward, considering that it shouldn't have been touched in this case. I didn't see anywhere that would indicate that the wet clutch was pulled or the bearing replaced (they don't just jump out and turn themselves around). I will look at the parts diagram here shortly to see if there is anything else that may have negatively effected this machine.
    -JBS Extreme Sheave, JBS Skids, JBS Arm Guards, JBS AIS Block Off, JBS Rad Guards, JBS Slug Kit, 28" Terrabites/14" Hurricanes

-JBS Extreme Sheave, JBS Spring Kit, 28” Terrabites/14" Hurricanes, Weller ECM Flash

After having a chance to look at the part diagram (only for the clutch), I see that this machine seems to be set up a lot like the Rhino.

After thinking about your symptom, I am concerned that there was a reason that you went into the clutch in the first place. The wet clutch area is likely where you will find the root of your problem. Like Timmi said, you could have an issue with your one way bearing (not that it is in backward, but something may have failed with it). This bearing provides engine braking, but it could also interfere with operation of the engagement of the wet clutch.

The wet clutch itself could like I said be worn/damaged due to service life (spring broken perhaps not allowing a shoe to retract).

Otherwise, if you truly did simply just service the clutch and change the belt, there really shouldn't be anything that would cause the issues that you have listed.

I changed the belt because it was worn and slipping. I figured I might as well service the clutch while I was in there. All I did was clean out the old grease and regrease the rollers and sliders. The clutch is a centrifugal but it doesn't have springs and shoes it works more like a torque converter on a go cart.

There is the CVT and a wet clutch that also has the one way bearing (provides engine braking). You cleaned and regreased the primary by the sounds of things, but that shouldn’t make the engine stall when place in gear and brake applied. Seems likely the wet clutch or one way bearing need attention. Hoping someone other than me will chime in...