Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Grizzly Hunting

Grizzly Hunting

Sorry for the title potentially being misleading.

I am currently searching for info to decide if adding a Grizzly to the family would be a good option. With getting a little older and snow management becoming more of a chore, the discussion of getting a Grizzly to plow with and do some rare trail riding with has become a topic at my house. As you may see (or know), I already have a Viking VI and Wolverine X4, but due to the height of my garage, I am unable to keep them at my house. With a Grizzly I wouldn't be limited by the height of my garage door and I would assume that it would be easier to see around the machine. My driveway is fairly big and oddly shaped, so snowblowing and shoveling have really taken their toll.

I am wanting to get the more current models (2016-Present), but don't know if I should make an effort to stay away from the 708 because from what I can see it is limited to only having been in production for a few years and has shown to have some potential longevity issues (the decomp spring, and oil pump drive gear). I really like the look of the 2019 Tactical Black EPS SE, but there aren't any locally listed.

Also, I am trying to figure out what would be a good plow set up. I would prefer it to be easy to remove, but am not afraid to remove the brackets for summer use.

For the light trail riding, I would be going with my daughter and her 2019 Grizzly 90, so it would be kind of fun to have a Daddy/Daughter set, but I like running the SxS way better.

Thanks for the input.
    2015 Yamaha Viking VI EPS (Camo):
    -JBS Extreme Sheave, JBS Skids, JBS Arm Guards, JBS AIS Block Off, JBS Rad Guards, JBS Slug Kit, 28" Terrabites/14" Hurricanes

2018 Yamaha Wolverine X4 SE (Silver):
    -JBS Extreme Sheave, JBS Spring Kit, 28” Terrabites/14" Hurricanes, Weller ECM Flash

I would avoid the 708 engine. I had a 2007 Grizzly 700, I regret selling it.

"
    White Shadow " Wolverine X2
    JBS Performance Extreme Sheave
    JBS Performance Suspension Springs
    Team Alba Racing ECU
    Rigid Side Shooter Led
    Yamaha Cab Enclosure
    Bazooka Party Bar

It's not what you asked but.... would a small shed or garage addition provide the plowing opportunities by getting the SxS home? Probably not anymore expensive, more convenient, maybe home value up if done right, and less maintenance and less depreciation. Sorry for the tangent, just the Architect in me.
    2016 Wolverine R-Spec EPS, Camo, fender ext. 4000 Moto winch w/syn rope, 14"Method B-locks, 27" Maxxis Vipr 9 & 11's, Full flip windshield, A-arm guards, 2 batts, JBS CVT grind, 16 OD, slugs, purple, JBS/Eibach springs, Autometer Temp Gauge
    08 Rhino 700 SE Black Armor, JBS 734 (bbk w/Carillo crank & rod, CP 11:1, deshrouded valves, Raptor springs, Viking cam & FI, MSD, afr Gauge, Unleashed sheave w/JBS OD 18g greased, Purple, slugs, 27" Mudlite XTRs , 6" Chopped , Mishi Rad, ALBA exhaust

I may be wrong but it looks like you'll have to find a 19 or 20 if you want to stay away from the 708 but have a 2016 or newer as 16, 17, and 18 had the 708. Have you tried searching on utvtrader? Get what you want even if you have to wait a while or drive a little further. As a dad of two girls, I think the daddy daughter combo is a great idea.
    2018 Blue Wolverine X4
    JBS Sheave
    JBS Springs
    Alba Tune

I go back and forth on if I should look at the 2012-15 models also, but don't know if the limited savings would be worth it. And from some of the research and feedback that I have gotten, it seems that I would be best served not getting one of the 708's for their limited production time at least.

We were looking at a different property that is close to the trails at one point, but they don't allow SxS's on the "winter" trails, but will allow limited access to ATV's. When we were looking at that, I had told my wife that I was interested in getting a Grizzly. Then when we bought my daughter's 90, I said that I was interested in getting one, because we could trailer the quads on the trailer together, but not a quad and SxS. The maintenance and depreciation isn't a huge deal to me as long as I don't get a "bad one". And I have a dealer that I have been working with for a while now, so I am trying to pick his brain to see if there is any chance that he could find me a deal on a left over 2019 Tactical Black... So we will see how that goes.

jimclemjr, I do appreciate your approach. It was something that we have considered for years, but due to zoning, and what I actually have doesn't really work. My garage is actually more of a bomb shelter built into the side of a hill that we are unable to add on to and it counts as our "detached structure". Never in a million years would I have thought that I couldn't do what I want with my own property... I typically have the SxS at the house during the summer, but in the winter, I really don't want it sitting there for weeks at a time (between snows) because we can't ride in my "wonderful" state between the months of October to May and there are not trails within an hour of my house.
    -JBS Extreme Sheave, JBS Skids, JBS Arm Guards, JBS AIS Block Off, JBS Rad Guards, JBS Slug Kit, 28" Terrabites/14" Hurricanes

-JBS Extreme Sheave, JBS Spring Kit, 28” Terrabites/14" Hurricanes, Weller ECM Flash

I haven't followed Grizzlies, it there much difference between the 2012-15 and the 2019? If not, I'm sure the 2012-2015 would be fine, but it sure sounds like your sold on the 2019 tactical black. You'll have to weigh if waiting to find one is worth it.
    2018 Blue Wolverine X4
    JBS Sheave
    JBS Springs
    Alba Tune

If you're not 100% set on a Grizzly, the new Zuke KQ is a nice bike.

"
    Team Alba Racing ECU
    Rigid Side Shooter Led
    Yamaha Cab Enclosure
    Bazooka Party Bar

If I were to get a 4-wheeler, I am pretty set on getting the Grizzly. With my background with Yamaha, I know that is the machine that I would want. Trying to decide if I really want/need one and if it should be new or if I got used. And if I go used what to look at...

9. Likes Timmi liked this post
    The 686cc single has been in production now for thirteen years. I foresee a two cylinder in the Grizzy, maybe not the 850, but single cylinder big bores days are numbered.

"
    Team Alba Racing ECU
    Rigid Side Shooter Led
    Yamaha Cab Enclosure
    Bazooka Party Bar

I was kind of thinking the same thing. I wonder if Yamaha went back to the 700 to clear the inventory out for a new engine soon.
    2018 Blue Wolverine X4
    JBS Sheave
    JBS Springs
    Alba Tune

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast