Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Grizzly Hunting

I would guess that the 686 is fairly emissions compliant and that is a prime reason they have lasted so long. Cause of that I would also guess that the motor will be around for a while longer even if they put it in a smaller frame ATV. Or would not be surprised to see Yamaha come out with one of the mega frame ATVs with twin cylinder to compete with that market. Either way if price is an object the 686, from my limited experience and observation, is a solid possibility for an older unit with low to moderate miles if machine has been taken care of. In your part of the world, I would be more prone to look at the frame corrosion from any winter grime indicating like of care.
    2016 Wolverine R-Spec EPS, Camo, fender ext. 4000 Moto winch w/syn rope, 14"Method B-locks, 27" Maxxis Vipr 9 & 11's, Full flip windshield, A-arm guards, 2 batts, JBS CVT grind, 16 OD, slugs, purple, JBS/Eibach springs, Autometer Temp Gauge
    08 Rhino 700 SE Black Armor, JBS 734 (bbk w/Carillo crank & rod, CP 11:1, deshrouded valves, Raptor springs, Viking cam & FI, MSD, afr Gauge, Unleashed sheave w/JBS OD 18g greased, Purple, slugs, 27" Mudlite XTRs , 6" Chopped , Mishi Rad, ALBA exhaust

yea I own a 708 rspec and I would stay away from the 708 unless it was a killer deal then get the head ground (they never finished them at the factory) (Yamaha is doing that to most of them or at least my dealer is ) new jug piston and rings then go in and take the gear off of the water pump / oil pump and pien both sides as well as the washer lock tight it and torque it wayyyy above factory spec. so far that is the down fall to the 708 as far as I know. I have 5k on my machine added an oil light just so I know if it dose happen again I am sure to catch it. crossing my fingers it will be a good one now lol as I love the way it rides and even if they get the doors changed on the x2 /x4 and I get that one I would like to keep this one if it is reliable.
    2016 wolverine chopped top, warren 3500 winch, custom seats, custom rear window, fold down front window, duel battery set up with all accessories on the second batteries , led head lights, led light bar, interior lights, heater, 27” X14 x9 rage storm tires all sides, 2” super atv lift, jbs clutch, jbs mud guards , exhaust tip, pcv with jbs tunes, I know I am forgetting stuff but more to come

good to know about the engine fixes, I liked my old wolvy is many ways more than the new one, especially with the JBS doors and dom cage

"
    White Shadow " Wolverine X2
    JBS Performance Extreme Sheave
    JBS Performance Suspension Springs
    Team Alba Racing ECU
    Rigid Side Shooter Led
    Yamaha Cab Enclosure
    Bazooka Party Bar

Now am looking hard at a new 2019 Kodiak 700 EPS... trying to figure out the plow and winch set-up...
    2015 Yamaha Viking VI EPS (Camo):
    -JBS Extreme Sheave, JBS Skids, JBS Arm Guards, JBS AIS Block Off, JBS Rad Guards, JBS Slug Kit, 28" Terrabites/14" Hurricanes

2018 Yamaha Wolverine X4 SE (Silver):
    -JBS Extreme Sheave, JBS Spring Kit, 28” Terrabites/14" Hurricanes, Weller ECM Flash

Quote Originally Posted by buellpjw View Post
    yea I own a 708 Rspec get the head ground (they never finished them at the factory) (Yamaha is doing that to most of them or at least my dealer is ) .
    bluellpjw - I would appreciate it if you would elaborate on your comment, "head ground", I personally like the 708 format and have done the pump sprocket fix and plan on keeping it a long time. I do have the oil loss issue and figure it the bad second compression ring. I did not get the bike till 750 miles so figured the filter was not maintained and not willing to get into a dealer hassle/anxiety to fix under the service bulletin. So I am going to do the BBK with James advice/parts. While doing it I thought I would do a little head polishing but what specifically can you tell us about "head ground"? Or a post or PM to a dealer contact I could call. Thx in advance.
    2016 Wolverine R-Spec EPS, Camo, fender ext. 4000 Moto winch w/syn rope, 14"Method B-locks, 27" Maxxis Vipr 9 & 11's, Full flip windshield, A-arm guards, 2 batts, JBS CVT grind, 16 OD, slugs, purple, JBS/Eibach springs, Autometer Temp Gauge
    08 Rhino 700 SE Black Armor, JBS 734 (bbk w/Carillo crank & rod, CP 11:1, deshrouded valves, Raptor springs, Viking cam & FI, MSD, afr Gauge, Unleashed sheave w/JBS OD 18g greased, Purple, slugs, 27" Mudlite XTRs , 6" Chopped , Mishi Rad, ALBA exhaust

Yamaha is grinding the heads putting in new jug and piston and rings the heads I have seen that go out are not close to one another and have not been flattened you see the machine marks and like my head 7 thousants off the dealer here is / has been great to work with no it is not from the filter at all out of 5 bikes I take care of from new not one had any dirt or contamination past the filter all but one burns oil … and they are fixing them ? they are all out of warranty but the fix has been free including having the heads done...… they sound so much happier when done !!!!!
    2016 wolverine chopped top, warren 3500 winch, custom seats, custom rear window, fold down front window, duel battery set up with all accessories on the second batteries , led head lights, led light bar, interior lights, heater, 27” X14 x9 rage storm tires all sides, 2” super atv lift, jbs clutch, jbs mud guards , exhaust tip, pcv with jbs tunes, I know I am forgetting stuff but more to come

Quote Originally Posted by Timmi View Post
    good to know about the engine fixes, I liked my old wolvy is many ways more than the new one, especially with the JBS doors and dom cage
    yes I like my machine other than the 708 and hoping now that it is going to be a good one now the inside of the top end looked like it was toast after 5k so here is to hoping now its good to go !! I want a 850 but keep waiting to see if they do something different with the doors.

the door latch bothered me some at first then I learned to step in with both feet then sit, doing that avoids it altogether

yes I like my machine other than the 708 and hoping now that it is going to be a good one now the inside of the top end looked like it was toast after 5k so here is to hoping now its good to go !! I want a 850 but keep waiting to see if they do something different with the doors.

"
    Team Alba Racing ECU
    Rigid Side Shooter Led
    Yamaha Cab Enclosure
    Bazooka Party Bar

Quote Originally Posted by Timmi View Post
    the door latch bothered me some at first then I learned to step in with both feet then sit, doing that avoids it altogether
    don't know why I cant see this unless I go to what's new lol don't show in the thread … yea I just know for the big guys it is not going to work at all and they are a big portion of the market so I am sure they will have a fix sooner or later and I do like my machine so I am waiting

I'm six feet, 245 lbs I do fine with it. It's easy once you get used to doing it.

don't know why I cant see this unless I go to what's new lol don't show in the thread … yea I just know for the big guys it is not going to work at all and they are a big portion of the market so I am sure they will have a fix sooner or later and I do like my machine so I am waiting

"
    Team Alba Racing ECU
    Rigid Side Shooter Led
    Yamaha Cab Enclosure
    Bazooka Party Bar

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast