Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  5
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    If your interested in the best ride and handling, then you want your preload set to have 30 to 40% droop at ride height. I would give up ground clearance for a better ride and handling any day of the week. As already stated the more preload you have the stiffer the ride will be. IE; lets say you have a 300# single rate springs and your spring preload is at 2". That means you need to overcome 600#s before the spring continues to compress, and that's on each corner.

2. Thanks Kenny G thanked for this post
    Looking at the spec sheet for the res shock they call out 2.5" standard & minimum for rear shock load, that is where the rear shock load is at. The rear-end of the bike is still 1.25" higher than the front-end. The spec on the front shock load is 2.44-3.03". I've got the front shock load at 2.75". My though is if I increase the front much more I'd be pretty stiff up front. I'm taking my measurement from the top of the spring shoulder to the center of the top shock bolt. I'm looking for some drop in the rear. Can you go past the minimum spec for the rear and still be okay?
    06/450: Rhino; JBS Hot Rod Sheave/12gr OD's; Blue Spring; 04 Style/KN Air; Dyna CDI; Axia Exhaust Tip; 3" Lift; Sport Shocks; 27X14 Mudlite XTR's; Warn 2500#

08/700: Rhino; JBS Hot Rod X-Sheave/16gr OD's/Slugged; Purple Spring; Alba TB; Raptor HotCam; MSD/JBS-Map; Yoshimura Duals; Pro One Doors; LSR MTS; LSR Front & Back Supports; Ricochet Skids; Elka 4's; RackZilla/PS: 26X12 Pitbull Growlers; Camoplast T4S; Viper 4500#; Trail Bright LEDs.
    Let'em Buck!!!

To truly check preload you need to measure from when the adjuster collar just touch's the top of the spring. Then if you crank down 1" then you know your actually at 1" of preload.

Quote Originally Posted by Odyknuck View Post
    To truly check preload you need to measure from when the adjuster collar just touch's the top of the spring. Then if you crank down 1" then you know your actually at 1" of preload.
    I'm measuring from the top of the shock spring to the middle of the top shock bolt, Am I understanding the manual correctly in how to make that measurement. Forgive, I think maybe I'm just over thinking something simple? Where is your 2nd measurement point at Odyknuck?
    06/450: Rhino; JBS Hot Rod Sheave/12gr OD's; Blue Spring; 04 Style/KN Air; Dyna CDI; Axia Exhaust Tip; 3" Lift; Sport Shocks; 27X14 Mudlite XTR's; Warn 2500#

08/700: Rhino; JBS Hot Rod X-Sheave/16gr OD's/Slugged; Purple Spring; Alba TB; Raptor HotCam; MSD/JBS-Map; Yoshimura Duals; Pro One Doors; LSR MTS; LSR Front & Back Supports; Ricochet Skids; Elka 4's; RackZilla/PS: 26X12 Pitbull Growlers; Camoplast T4S; Viper 4500#; Trail Bright LEDs.
    Let'em Buck!!!

If Im reading it correctly I think he's saying back the jam nuts off all the way tighten until they touch the spring and measure down one inch? Then tighten to measurement? I could be off too? Thats what i get out of it.

now I'm ever more confused, I'd just get new shocks...lol
    Sent from my momma's basement

"The family Comfort Wagon"..JBS sheave, +6 LT w/kings, 4 seat cage w/3 twisted stitch seats

8. Likes scottwv, deuceswild liked this post
    Measuring from the fixed bolt is a nominal factory starting point for the spect ground clearance. After a spring sets or you change the spring rate the factory value is no longer valid. So the only true way to know your preload is to do it dynamicaly by measuring how much you actually compress the spring. Typically if you need to compress the spring more than 1 1/2" to get the desired ride height, you would jump the rate up 25 to 50#s.

10. Thanks Kenny G thanked for this post
    Quote Originally Posted by ASPENDELLROVER View Post
    now I'm ever more confused, I'd just get new shocks...lol
    Ya, probably new shocks would be nice, but the Obumma plan has me paying in again this year. But what Ody was saying finally seeped in. Got to scrap factor spec and reset from the top of the spring height. I've got plenty of body height without cranking the springs down just wanting to level/drop the rear-end. Which should be easy if I don't worry about manual spec sheet. Thanks

Let'em Buck!!!

Hey Kenny how does it ride with the stock shocks? Would really like the mt kit but can't do it all at once.

Sent from space

Quote Originally Posted by Virgils686 View Post
    Hey Kenny how does it ride with the stock shocks? Would really like the mt kit but can't do it all at once.

Sent from space
    I have only taken it out for a short spin to kinda set everything so I could torque the nuts up. It's been so friggin cold here that it's been hard to find time I can work on it. Last week was all sub-zero temps.

Let'em Buck!!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast