Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  8
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenny G View Post
    Was adjusting the spring tension down on my Elka 4's for track season and noticed both left-hand shocks fine tune adjusters are leaking oil from around the knobs. Anyone had this problem? Does this mean they need re-built? $$$$$
    im not doubting scott but i would call elka

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    09 700 sport
    aftermarket cam, duel muzzy exhaust, alba custom map, MSD fuel controller, alba water temp and oil press gauges, SDR LT6, SDR 4seat custom cage and bed, rigid industries 40in. and 10in. light bars, led head and taillights, fox remote resi shocks, DWT beadlock wheels, twisted stitch seats front and back, crow 4pt harness front and back, super atv power steering, quick release steering wheel. ruggid radios incar communication and car to car com, JBS EXTREME2 sheave on the way

2. Thanks Kenny G thanked for this post
    THAT WOULD SUCK if they have to be re-built. Tracking season is just starting and before it's finished the JBS 2016 ride at Moab comes into play, then summer ripping. I'm sure I blow something out in Moab last spring, as the left side suspension took a big hit several times, but probably worth making a call. Think I'll call iShock also and see what the turn around on a re-build would be. Really thought they'd hold up better thou. Might have to pull the sport shocks off the 450 and use them on the 700 for tracking while the Elkas are in the shop?
    06/450: Rhino; JBS Hot Rod Sheave/12gr OD's; Blue Spring; 04 Style/KN Air; Dyna CDI; Axia Exhaust Tip; 3" Lift; Sport Shocks; 27X14 Mudlite XTR's; Warn 2500#

08/700: Rhino; JBS Hot Rod X-Sheave/16gr OD's/Slugged; Purple Spring; Alba TB; Raptor HotCam; MSD/JBS-Map; Yoshimura Duals; Pro One Doors; LSR MTS; LSR Front & Back Supports; Ricochet Skids; Elka 4's; RackZilla/PS: 26X12 Pitbull Growlers; Camoplast T4S; Viper 4500#; Trail Bright LEDs.
    Let'em Buck!!!

Wow...mine has never leaked

Sent from my PantechP4100 using Tapatalk
    James Davis
    If you have questions call me!!!
    304-673-2602
    304-877-3419
    Check out our web https://jbsperformance.com/
    Email to - jbsperformanceinc@aol.com
    Ship to - 131 Davis Ct., Mt. Hope, WV 25880

5. Thanks Kenny G thanked for this post
    Any idea why the top seal would go bad, I'm guessing that's why they are bleeding by? Hard hits, MTS, maybe handling the weight of the tracks??????
    06/450: Rhino; JBS Hot Rod Sheave/12gr OD's; Blue Spring; 04 Style/KN Air; Dyna CDI; Axia Exhaust Tip; 3" Lift; Sport Shocks; 27X14 Mudlite XTR's; Warn 2500#

08/700: Rhino; JBS Hot Rod X-Sheave/16gr OD's/Slugged; Purple Spring; Alba TB; Raptor HotCam; MSD/JBS-Map; Yoshimura Duals; Pro One Doors; LSR MTS; LSR Front & Back Supports; Ricochet Skids; Elka 4's; RackZilla/PS: 26X12 Pitbull Growlers; Camoplast T4S; Viper 4500#; Trail Bright LEDs.
    Let'em Buck!!!

My shocks are bandits and they had some seals go bad a while back, bandit said there seals come from the same place as elkas so maybe just bad seals??

8. Likes Kenny G liked this post
    I get my Elka S4's serviced every 12 months on my Mud Racer/Hunting Quad. The last time shock fluid was pretty yuck trying to turn oil to grease, had a shaft seal pop out. Always worth a periodic service is you treat them mean as I do. Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Likes Kenny G, madmax 1 liked this post
    Any idea why the top seal would go bad, I'm guessing that's why they are bleeding by? Hard hits, MTS, maybe handling the weight of the tracks??????
    That's how mine started...leaking from around the left rear compression knob . It eventually felt like there wasn't even a shock on there...bottomed out on the slightest bump . I really couldn't say how long it would take , if you sent them to Elka...I ordered the parts ($300+) and me an Brokenrzr800 rebuilt mine .
    Me or James can tell you where NOT to send them . There is a place in KY that done Pitdog's (I can't remember the name) . He spoke very highly of their work .
    08 700 ...

12. Thanks Kenny G thanked for this post
    Likes WV Hot Rod Rhino liked this post
    I have been checking out Elka factory certified service here in the USA; $610 to service, $810 to do a rebuild/tune, just a blind estimate on 4 shocks. iShock, $420 to service and $880 rebuild/tune. If you spent $300+ Scott, just on parts, $120 more wouldn't be a bad cost to have iShocks do the work. I wondering if the complete rebuild would be worth the xtra $$$ or not. They seem to be operating great, I have no complaint there. I don't think I'm so hard on these shocks that I'd blow them out and need a rebuild. But if I go with the Elka cert service another $200 and new shocks. These were gently used when I bought them a few years back. Complete rebuild and buying price would still be less than a new set today.

Let'em Buck!!!

14. Likes WV Hot Rod Rhino liked this post
    Still Shakin' the Cage 08Rhino450SE's Avatar
    maybe you should ask Elka about the tracks and see what they suggest. they might not suggest them for that application. that would be an interesting conversation...
    Mountaineers are Always Free!

16. Likes Kenny G liked this post
    I have been checking out Elka factory certified service here in the USA; $610 to service, $810 to do a rebuild/tune, just a blind estimate on 4 shocks. iShock, $420 to service and $880 rebuild/tune. If you spent $300+ Scott, just on parts, $120 more wouldn't be a bad cost to have iShocks do the work. I wondering if the complete rebuild would be worth the xtra $$$ or not. They seem to be operating great, I have no complaint there. I don't think I'm so hard on these shocks that I'd blow them out and need a rebuild. But if I go with the Elka cert service another $200 and new shocks. These were gently used when I bought them a few years back. Complete rebuild and buying price would still be less than a new set today.

It was basically half price , me doing it instead of them (I had the tank of nitrogen on hand) . The oil was what "hurt" the worst...$25 a quart...and he said I needed 3 . Had the one bottle not leaked some in shipping , I wouldn't have had to open the third bottle . The kits were $25 a piece , but the o-rings for the compression knob aren't in the kit...they're $5 a piece , and you need 3 per shock . Since you didn't buy them new , if the extra cost doesn't hurt you too bad , I'd go for the complete rebuild . They told me , you're "supposed" to have them serviced every year ; but , I ran for 2 or 3 years on the first service that was done .
    08 700 ...

18. Thanks Kenny G thanked for this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast