Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

2014 Viking repair recommendations

Hi Everyone, This is my first time posting but have been lurking around here for awhile.

I have a 2014 Viking that recently was diagnosed with the loose middle drive gear bolts. The bolts came loose and cracked the crank case, discovered via oil leak.

I have pulled the motor and split the cases. Motorcycle shop welded up the small crack and will begin to put it all back together. All bearings seem to be good.

It has 500 hours on it but only about 1500 miles, mostly very slow speed lawn spraying, hunting, farm work and occasion trail rides. It has the JBS Sheave, slugged clutch, snorkels and 30 inch zillas.

Should I replace the crank while I have it split? Hot Rod stroker crank JBS sells is possibly?
    Can I keep the rest all stock, head, exhaust, etc and be worth it?
    If they put the 850 in Viking I would trade it in.

Any thoughts would be apprieciated.

Call James at JBS Performance 304-673-2602 he knows all about what the best options are.

"
    White Shadow " Wolverine X2
    JBS Performance Extreme Sheave
    JBS Performance Suspension Springs
    Team Alba Racing ECU
    Rigid Side Shooter Led
    Yamaha Cab Enclosure
    Bazooka Party Bar

3. Likes JoshK liked this post
    Thanks, I spoke to James. I am going to buy the Hot Rod stroker crank from him and he says I can run the rest stock.

More low end for working and playing.

Once the 850 comes out, I will look to trade in a couple of years. I luv the room the Viking has for me, my wife and son.

5. Likes Timmi liked this post
    I like the interior room in the Viking, also. I do expect the 850 engine to be placed in a restyled Viking. When, I'm not sure.

"
    White Shadow " Wolverine X2
    JBS Performance Extreme Sheave
    JBS Performance Suspension Springs
    Team Alba Racing ECU
    Rigid Side Shooter Led
    Yamaha Cab Enclosure
    Bazooka Party Bar

If you put the stroker in it you may start to think twice about needing the 850. Did you discuss the Viking VI cam with James? with a couple of other mods that would cost you a few hundred $$$ it could save you thousands $$$$. Of course in less you just burning to get another lol.
    2016 Wolverine R-Spec EPS, Camo, fender ext. 4000 Moto winch w/syn rope, 14"Method B-locks, 27" Maxxis Vipr 9 & 11's, Full flip windshield, A-arm guards, 2 batts, JBS CVT grind, 16 OD, slugs, purple, JBS/Eibach springs, Autometer Temp Gauge
    08 Rhino 700 SE Black Armor, JBS 734 (bbk w/Carillo crank & rod, CP 11:1, deshrouded valves, Raptor springs, Viking cam & FI, MSD, afr Gauge, Unleashed sheave w/JBS OD 18g greased, Purple, slugs, 27" Mudlite XTRs , 6" Chopped , Mishi Rad, ALBA exhaust

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	727motor.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	39.7 KB 
ID:	13748

Name:	RodCrank.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	33.6 KB 
ID:	13749

Name:	CrackCaseWeld.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	25.5 KB 
ID:	13750

Name:	NoBed.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	31.9 KB 
ID:	13751

I didn't realize the Viking VI had a different CAM then the Viking 3. Injector is different as well?

Update: I went ahead and ordered the Hot Rods stroker crank from James. Crankcase was welded up and new crank is installed. Motor is 90% back together since the extra time ive had off with mandated quarantine. Everything inside the motor/transmission looked great. Piston, rings, pin, cylinder, chain and gears all good. If I figure out how to post pictures ill post some.

Any additional suggestions before putting motor back in and firing it off? Break in any special way?
    Last edited by SweatyMan; 04-24-2020 at 11:44 AM. Reason: Added photos

9. Likes Timmi liked this post
    I finally figured out how to add some photos, bottom to top,
    1. Bike with no Bed and 30's looks pretty good without the bed
    2. Motorcycle shop welded small crack bottom of crank case near drive gear support
    3. Hot Rod stroker crank installed from JBS
    4. Almost all back together- good times!

11. Likes Timmi liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by SweatyMan View Post

Name:	727motor.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	39.7 KB 
ID:	13748

Name:	RodCrank.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	33.6 KB 
ID:	13749

Name:	CrackCaseWeld.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	25.5 KB 
ID:	13750

Name:	NoBed.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	31.9 KB 
ID:	13751

I didn't realize the Viking VI had a different CAM then the Viking 3. Injector is different as well?

Update: I went ahead and ordered the Hot Rods stroker crank from James. Crankcase was welded up and new crank is installed. Motor is 90% back together since the extra time ive had off with mandated quarantine. Everything inside the motor/transmission looked great. Piston, rings, pin, cylinder, chain and gears all good. If I figure out how to post pictures ill post some.

Any additional suggestions before putting motor back in and firing it off? Break in any special way?
    Does anyone know why the V6 is cam different than the V3, and has different injectors??? Helps propel the heavier machine better maybe? Just curious....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2020 V6, 27” QuadBoss

Does look good! Bet it’ll run even better than it looks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2020 V6, 27” QuadBoss