Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Greetings from South Carolina

As the title states I'm new to the forum and from SC.

I own an 07 Grizzly 700 with around 2500 miles on it. Bought it new when the 700 with EPS first came out.

Like anyone interested in the forums and mods I have had a long journey with this machine. I'm just going to list the mods to save a massive amount of typing.

Gorilla Rear axles
    K&N air filter
    HDD-5050 cam
    2.5mm Extended Crank
    105.5mm Jug
    11:1 compression
    Barkers full Dual Exhaust (with quite core installed- still loud)
    PC5 fuel controller with auto tune (also have recorder installed)
    Dynatek Programmable CDI
    Port and polish jug
    Kibble White Valve springs
    Mud-lite ITP Tires (stock size)
    Lots of custom primary clutch work.

I actually enjoy "tinkering" and "mods" more than riding... I know I'm getting old.

I decided to join because I'm looking into different clutch weights along with the wet clutch slug mod.
    I will bring some questions to the forum members and maybe I can answer a few in return as well.

My riding is trails and bumps...with light mud now and then.

(P.S. Still stock brake pads from 2007! the engine brake is amazing on these things.)

Thanks for the forum,

W.

Welcome to the forum. I also bought a 2007 Grizzly new. I should have kept it. What have you done to the primary? I strongly suggest call James at JBS Performance for advice. 304-673-2602. He is the very best with Yamaha clutch work. Correct clutching wakes up even a stock atv. I had a 727cc bbk on mine and with JBS clutch it would run with 750 BF and close to Canam 800's

"
    White Shadow " Wolverine X2
    JBS Performance Extreme Sheave
    JBS Performance Suspension Springs
    Team Alba Racing ECU
    Rigid Side Shooter Led
    Yamaha Cab Enclosure
    Bazooka Party Bar

The clutch work is what I am going back into to play a little more.

Low ratio is 2.5:1 for primary to secondary. On top end the belt will climb slightly out of the sheave.
    I have a video of it...will see about uploading later.

(Edit: Added Photo)

I really don't have any need for adjustments...being plenty of low end and max top end travel possible.

The way it runs right now (with 20 gram stock weights) is break back tires loose anywhere from 0 to 25 mph.
    (or bring the front end up on pavement from a stop)

Low range will take me from 0 to 50mph (on the trail) with the rev limit at 6,500 rpm.

The issue I'm working on is from a dead stop and long trail... I go full throttle and....

Engine bounces to 6400 rpm range
    Back tires are spinning in the dirt
    Grizzly is coming alive.

Once I hit 35 mph on the speedo... I am seeing a dead spot - this is where the issue is.
    (just not pulling forward where I'm holding on for life)

Reaching into 40 mph, back to pulling hard and heading down the trail.

I'm left with three options I can see for this dead spot area:
    1- issue is back tires are getting traction and I'm feeling that.
    2- motor needs fine tuning
    3- clutch is over gearing the motor

For number 1, I can't do much about. For number 2, I have tuned and tuned this day after day. Full throttle, 6000+ rpm Fuel map tuning.

This pretty much leaves option 3 left for clutch weights.

I've run stock all this time and for the year of this beast I'm not really wanting to put another $4-500 into clutch weights.

I have plenty of bottom end and also don't want to go too light on weights.

W.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Belt-Max2.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	259.0 KB 
ID:	13746  

I really strongly suggest calling James before I recommend anything. Five minutes talking to him is better than trying to figure it out here. From what you are describing it sounds like clutch fine tuning will get you where you want to be.

"
    Team Alba Racing ECU
    Rigid Side Shooter Led
    Yamaha Cab Enclosure
    Bazooka Party Bar

Quote Originally Posted by Timmi View Post
    I really strongly suggest calling James before I recommend anything. Five minutes talking to him is better than trying to figure it out here. From what you are describing it sounds like clutch fine tuning will get you where you want to be.
    I didn't talk to him, but I did place a couple orders.

I test drove it yesterday with 18 gram weights....holly crap! I feel I have been missing out... slight bog at 38 then gone by 40 mph - I can live with that.

The ITP mud-lite tires (around 40% tread) jumped alive and was doing some serious spinning.

I ordered a few different weights, thinking I might keep new 20 gram, maybe even move up to 21-22 gram... Nope those will never leave the box now.

While I was out and about I also picked up the new 2020 Grizzly 700 XR-T... so I will be playing with that once broken in.

Really wish I was looking last year because my favorite color is blue (2019 SE, basically the same).

clutch weights make a big difference, one or two grams is very noticeable in results

I run JBS machined sheaves with overdrive weights in my Yamaha's, much improved starting ratio and higher final ratio.

"
    Team Alba Racing ECU
    Rigid Side Shooter Led
    Yamaha Cab Enclosure
    Bazooka Party Bar