Thanks Thanks:  10
Likes Likes:  48
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Clutch Kit Decision

New member and proud new owner of a 2020 Viking-VI Ranch Edition! Bought used with 36 hrs and 246 miles. As far as mods go, it’s stock other than the 27” QuadBoss tires, light bar, seizmik mirrors, folding windshield, CB radio, a cheap harbor freight winch (mounted on a plate to be inserted into the receiver hitch), and rear view mirror. Accessories would probably be a better word than mods!

So...my family and I love to cruise up and down the county back roads, run up and down the creek beds, trail ride, hill climbing (no rock crawling though) and slinging a little mud, but not necessarily “go mudding”.

After weeks of research, I’ve settled on JBS (no brainer) and think I want to slug the clutch, add the extreme sheave kit with purple spring, but I’m not sure if I want to go with 17g OD sliders or 18g. What can I expect from one vs the other? I want more low end grunt and power to climb the hills, creek banks, steep trails, and just putting around the yard without having to throttle it to keep the clutch engaged and the bike moving slowly, but don’t want to lose anymore top end than necessary because we like to boogie on the gravel roads and the more open trails. Would be nice to cruise at a lower rpm (noise level) so we can carry on a conversation but the hilly terrain around Northwest Arkansas has me keeping it pretty wound up. Also...I’ve read about shimming the sheave. What’s the purpose/benefit?

I’d like to say thanks in advance for any input/experience y’all can share!

JD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2020 V6, 27” QuadBoss

2. Likes WV Hot Rod Rhino, Kenny G liked this post
    lighter weights require more rpm to upshift to a higher ratio. a shim gives you lower starting ratio by getting the drive belt lower in the primary. definitely do the slugs. call James and ask him for sure but I say a shim and 18's will do good for you with 27" tires. his number is 304-673-2602 M-F 10-6

and welcome to the forum!

"
    White Shadow " Wolverine X2
    JBS Performance Extreme Sheave
    JBS Performance Suspension Springs
    Team Alba Racing ECU
    Rigid Side Shooter Led
    Yamaha Cab Enclosure
    Bazooka Party Bar

Thank you sir! I appreciate the input! I take it you shim the primary then???? Makes sense as it opens the sheaves to drop the belt lower and therefore lowers the ratio if my understanding is correct.

2020 V6, 27” QuadBoss

5. Likes Timmi liked this post
    Well...I read that a little to quick! You pretty much answered that already!

2020 V6, 27” QuadBoss

yes sir that's how it's done

Quote Originally Posted by nwasparky View Post
    Thank you sir! I appreciate the input! I take it you shim the primary then???? Makes sense as it opens the sheaves to drop the belt lower and therefore lowers the ratio if my understanding is correct.

"
    Team Alba Racing ECU
    Rigid Side Shooter Led
    Yamaha Cab Enclosure
    Bazooka Party Bar

I’ll give James a call! Thanks again!

2020 V6, 27” QuadBoss

9. Thanks Timmi thanked for this post
    There is an advantage to doing a shim...as the belt wears and drops some you can pull the shim and it puts you close to original bottom end. You can do that about time to service the secondary.
    2016 Wolverine R-Spec EPS, Camo, fender ext. 4000 Moto winch w/syn rope, 14"Method B-locks, 27" Maxxis Vipr 9 & 11's, Full flip windshield, A-arm guards, 2 batts, JBS CVT grind, 16 OD, slugs, purple, JBS/Eibach springs, Autometer Temp Gauge
    08 Rhino 700 SE Black Armor, JBS 734 (bbk w/Carillo crank & rod, CP 11:1, deshrouded valves, Raptor springs, Viking cam & FI, MSD, afr Gauge, Unleashed sheave w/JBS OD 18g greased, Purple, slugs, 27" Mudlite XTRs , 6" Chopped , Mishi Rad, ALBA exhaust

11. Thanks nwasparky thanked for this post
    Likes nwasparky, Timmi, therebel19 liked this post
    Good information to know! Thanks for sharing!
    Any known issues with cage clearance using shims to gain every advantage in getting low end? Seems like I came across some YouTube video or threads in a forum about rubbing??? If so...is there a cure??
    I’ve seen James reply in a thread “there’s always ways to get more”. Not sure if a shim is going to make a big difference but it’s a cheap part and easy to add while installing slug kit and extreme sheave kit with purple spring. I’m toying with trying both 17g weights and 18g just to see for myself over time and testing which I like better. Will probably try both with and without shim just for the hell of it. Mostly to satisfy curiosity, and learn my machines abilities, but also to have peace of mind knowing I’ve got it just right! Call me OCD or a perfectionist but I like seeing for myself. No amount of reading everyone’s shared experiences can fully replace getting behind the wheel and trying it out in multiple riding conditions to fine tune for my individual liking, & use. We all have our own style after all, right?
    Not saying forums and people’s shared experiences aren’t valuable here! They led me right to JBS after lots of reading up on it after all, and I can’t be more grateful, considering I was told to look at Hunterworks. Here in Arkansas we have a little town named Toad Suck AR. I believe Todd could be the town mascot! Glad I kept researching and asking questions! That dude’s shady as a rain forest floor IMHO!

2020 V6, 27” QuadBoss

If you go too thick on the shim there could be issues. James will know how much is safe. Him saying "always room for more" is his nature, he is always looking to improve everything. JBS milled sheave with a shim and overdrive weights will get you much improved starting ratio while keeping rpm's down at higher speeds as a result of the extended belt travel.

Quote Originally Posted by nwasparky View Post
    Any known issues with cage clearance using shims to gain every advantage in getting low end? Seems like I came across some YouTube video or threads in a forum about rubbing??? If so...is there a cure??
    I’ve seen James reply in a thread “there’s always ways to get more”. Not sure if a shim is going to make a big difference but it’s a cheap part and easy to add while installing slug kit and extreme sheave kit with purple spring. I’m toying with trying both 17g weights and 18g just to see for myself over time and testing which I like better. Will probably try both with and without shim just for the hell of it. Mostly to satisfy curiosity, and learn my machines abilities, but also to have peace of mind knowing I’ve got it just right! Call me OCD or a perfectionist but I like seeing for myself. No amount of reading everyone’s shared experiences can fully replace getting behind the wheel and trying it out in multiple riding conditions to fine tune for my individual liking, & use. We all have our own style after all, right?
    Not saying forums and people’s shared experiences aren’t valuable here! They led me right to JBS after lots of reading up on it after all, and I can’t be more grateful, considering I was told to look at Hunterworks. Here in Arkansas we have a little town named Toad Suck AR. I believe Todd could be the town mascot! Glad I kept researching and asking questions! That dude’s shady as a rain forest floor IMHO!

"
    Team Alba Racing ECU
    Rigid Side Shooter Led
    Yamaha Cab Enclosure
    Bazooka Party Bar

You could also think about getting 16G and 18G weights. When you mix them equally you get a 17G effect so it gets you one more tuning option. I do not remember seeing anything negative about this approach but James would be the 'clearing house' on this matter.
    2016 Wolverine R-Spec EPS, Camo, fender ext. 4000 Moto winch w/syn rope, 14"Method B-locks, 27" Maxxis Vipr 9 & 11's, Full flip windshield, A-arm guards, 2 batts, JBS CVT grind, 16 OD, slugs, purple, JBS/Eibach springs, Autometer Temp Gauge
    08 Rhino 700 SE Black Armor, JBS 734 (bbk w/Carillo crank & rod, CP 11:1, deshrouded valves, Raptor springs, Viking cam & FI, MSD, afr Gauge, Unleashed sheave w/JBS OD 18g greased, Purple, slugs, 27" Mudlite XTRs , 6" Chopped , Mishi Rad, ALBA exhaust

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast