Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

GPS Recommendations

I'm looking for a portable GPS unit, and I'm kind of overwhelmed with the options out there. My wife likes to be the navigator when we are out on the trail in the Jeep, or out exploring on vacations. I think this is what I'm looking for:

Portable
    Large color screen
    Don't want a GPS app on a phone

It doesn't need to be fancy, just track our progress along a designated trail.

Any suggestions?

how about a gps app on a tablet?

"
    White Shadow " Wolverine X2
    JBS Performance Extreme Sheave
    JBS Performance Suspension Springs
    Team Alba Racing ECU
    Rigid Side Shooter Led
    Yamaha Cab Enclosure
    Bazooka Party Bar

I use a samsung 10.1 tablet with gaia gps app. works great as I said in another tread ride command did not work well. When using a tablet as a gps unit you also need to have a higher amp usb charging outlet to keep up with the power the unit uses to keep gps signal. I installed a double usb outlet in the dash of my x4. The usb outlet is also on a rocker switch so I can power it as needed,it can also charge your phone,camera,etc wile you ride.

4. Likes jimclemjr liked this post
    A lot of people like gaia. I use BCN because BobT recommended it and I set mine up per his suggestions. Ride Command works for me, it's simple and easy to use, not a lot of options but a good basic app. Something I do like is if you have an online Ride Command account you can up load your tracks and view them there as well as share them.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20200714-114413.png 
Views:	115 
Size:	140.9 KB 
ID:	13814

"
    Team Alba Racing ECU
    Rigid Side Shooter Led
    Yamaha Cab Enclosure
    Bazooka Party Bar

I have a powered RAM mount for my Samsung tablet that came with a 12v power plug. I installed a 12v powered outlet that is constantly on to keep tablet from doing it's off and on routine when we would stop for a while. I found that the riding vibrations made the plug come out and be unstable at times and once found the tablet shut off due to low power. That was it lol. I got a 12 v to 5v step down transformer off Amazon for about $9 which I installed in glove box and hardwired the Tablet electrical feed and it is stable and not another concern other than cleaning the Tablet power pins after every ride and a little dielectric grease on pins to help keep any stray dust or water out of the base connection.
    2016 Wolverine R-Spec EPS, Camo, fender ext. 4000 Moto winch w/syn rope, 14"Method B-locks, 27" Maxxis Vipr 9 & 11's, Full flip windshield, A-arm guards, 2 batts, JBS CVT grind, 16 OD, slugs, purple, JBS/Eibach springs, Autometer Temp Gauge
    08 Rhino 700 SE Black Armor, JBS 734 (bbk w/Carillo crank & rod, CP 11:1, deshrouded valves, Raptor springs, Viking cam & FI, MSD, afr Gauge, Unleashed sheave w/JBS OD 18g greased, Purple, slugs, 27" Mudlite XTRs , 6" Chopped , Mishi Rad, ALBA exhaust

I still would like to get set up with a tablet for trails. Be able to track where I've been and map my trails here at home so when the wife and her girls go out I'm not getting a call. Where are we how do we get home!

8. Likes therebel19 liked this post
    what trails do you want to put on it?

Quote Originally Posted by JoshK View Post
    I still would like to get set up with a tablet for trails. Be able to track where I've been and map my trails here at home so when the wife and her girls go out I'm not getting a call. Where are we how do we get home!

"
    Team Alba Racing ECU
    Rigid Side Shooter Led
    Yamaha Cab Enclosure
    Bazooka Party Bar

Quote Originally Posted by Timmi View Post
    what trails do you want to put on it?
    Any trail that my buggy goes down. I would do all the trails I have here at home. If I was set up for it I would have tracked everything we have ever rode down in God's country

BobT has instructions for installing Back Country Navigator onto an android device. I'm not sure about other apps. Different apps use different type map files. There are ways to convert one type to another but I haven't tried it. Polaris Ride Command is free and it will track your rides and keep them in the app. You can also upload them to an online account.

Quote Originally Posted by JoshK View Post
    Any trail that my buggy goes down. I would do all the trails I have here at home. If I was set up for it I would have tracked everything we have ever rode down in God's country

"
    Team Alba Racing ECU
    Rigid Side Shooter Led
    Yamaha Cab Enclosure
    Bazooka Party Bar

Quote Originally Posted by Timmi View Post
    BobT has instructions for installing Back Country Navigator onto an android device. I'm not sure about other apps. Different apps use different type map files. There are ways to convert one type to another but I haven't tried it. Polaris Ride Command is free and it will track your rides and keep them in the app. You can also upload them to an online account.
    Thanks Timmi I'll have to look into it. Hopefully next time we are down I will be set up

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast