Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Starting circuit questions

Hi, I'm a newby to the ATV world, but not to mechanics in general. I bought an '06 Rhino to putt around our property. It cranked slow when I looked at it, but thought that the battery was low. After getting it home and looking into/catching up on maintenance, I found the #6 cable from battery to solenoid was getting awfully hot. I put a #4 cable to the solenoid and installed an automotive type solenoid which didn't help the slow crank-over. I put a DC amp meter (digital) on it an it shows about 370 amps when it is trying to crank the engine past TDC. The battery is a 2017 275 amp lead acid and fully charged. I've checked the ground connections and are clean and tight. I'm thinking everything must be in pretty good shape to carry that many amps. Once the starter finally cranks it through (about 3 seconds, an eternity) the engine fires immediately. I haven't torn into the engine to see if the decompressor is working, but if you experts don't see a problem with my current setup, it will be my next step. How fast is the starter likely to fail if I don't fix this pronto? Any advice and comments are solicited and appreciated.

Hello,
    how is your ground wire comming off of the battery ? on my 05 660 i grounded the motor to the frame and the little 12 gauge ground wire from the battery i grounded it to frame right above the battery box , that seemed to help mine turn over faster it was a mod that i read you should do on the 660's

Jake
    We the unwilling , led by the unknowing
    are doing the impossible , for the ungrateful
    we have done so much with so little for so long
    that we are qualified to do anything with nothing..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJZYG5qwHHI

Quote Originally Posted by TS2 View Post
    Hello,
    how is your ground wire comming off of the battery ? on my 05 660 i grounded the motor to the frame and the little 12 gauge ground wire from the battery i grounded it to frame right above the battery box , that seemed to help mine turn over faster it was a mod that i read you should do on the 660's

Jake
    The little bullet connection isn't burned like some I've seen posted. I think the extra grounding is supplementing the little #6 ground from the battery to the engine. I'm just wondering how long the little starter can hold up to those amps.

Check your ground cable to the motor and if it's good then do the decompressor soon. $.02
    2016 Wolverine R-Spec EPS, Camo, fender ext. 4000 Moto winch w/syn rope, 14"Method B-locks, 27" Maxxis Vipr 9 & 11's, Full flip windshield, A-arm guards, 2 batts, JBS CVT grind, 16 OD, slugs, purple, JBS/Eibach springs, Autometer Temp Gauge
    08 Rhino 700 SE Black Armor, JBS 734 (bbk w/Carillo crank & rod, CP 11:1, deshrouded valves, Raptor springs, Viking cam & FI, MSD, afr Gauge, Unleashed sheave w/JBS OD 18g greased, Purple, slugs, 27" Mudlite XTRs , 6" Chopped , Mishi Rad, ALBA exhaust