Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  4
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Rear pinion seal replacement

Anyone replace the rear pinion seal on a new Wolvie yet? Wondering if I can do it on the machine or if I'll have to pull. I'm thinking it would probably just be easier to pull the rear end. Any tips or tricks are appreciated. Calling the dealer in the morning to see if its covered under the extended warranty but I doubt it.
    2018 Blue Wolverine X4
    JBS Sheave
    JBS Springs
    Alba Tune

I have..pull the diff but make sure vent isnt clogged first...it will make them leak

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk
    James Davis
    If you have questions call me!!!
    304-673-2602
    304-877-3419
    Check out our web https://jbsperformance.com/
    Email to - jbsperformanceinc@aol.com
    Ship to - 131 Davis Ct., Mt. Hope, WV 25880

3. Thanks therebel19 thanked for this post
    Likes jimclemjr liked this post
    I have not pulled an X machine but for Gen 1 with the motor out and carrier off, it was not too bad to do the seal. Not so sure how much room you have without the dump bed. But once you slide the diff back it is not too bad to do it in the car. James is correct on the vent, as mine was clogged inside the hose about 3 or 4 inches long of mud about 6" from vent. Once dirty water gets in there, it turns to concrete.
    Assuming your diff is close to same as Gen 1 even though I think you do not have the wet E brake......... And get the right kind of silicone to seal under the coupler as per manual. My rubber bumper was totally flattened, so you will probably want to replace that too.
    2016 Wolverine R-Spec EPS, Camo, fender ext. 4000 Moto winch w/syn rope, 14"Method B-locks, 27" Maxxis Vipr 9 & 11's, Full flip windshield, A-arm guards, 2 batts, JBS CVT grind, 16 OD, slugs, purple, JBS/Eibach springs, Autometer Temp Gauge
    08 Rhino 700 SE Black Armor, JBS 734 (bbk w/Carillo crank & rod, CP 11:1, deshrouded valves, Raptor springs, Viking cam & FI, MSD, afr Gauge, Unleashed sheave w/JBS OD 18g greased, Purple, slugs, 27" Mudlite XTRs , 6" Chopped , Mishi Rad, ALBA exhaust

5. Thanks therebel19 thanked for this post
    I saw that Yamabond was required in the service manual so I got some to go under the coupler. I also ordered the rubber bumper as I'd heard others were smashed as well. You're right though, no wet E brake so that should make it even easier. It looks like it will be easy enough but we shall see. I did have a kink in the vent line and when I blew it out, there was some debris. However, after fixing all that, there is still a leak. Not bad but I don't like leaks. My theory is if oil can get out, then water can get in so I want to fix it. After looking a parts prices, it wasn't even worth my time to ask the dealer if it was covered or not. My closet dealer is over an hour away so I'd have more in gas and dealer frustration than just doing in myself.
    2018 Blue Wolverine X4
    JBS Sheave
    JBS Springs
    Alba Tune

looks like the diff is coming out. I was going to start on it today. Drained the oil and stripped the drain plug. Was only using a 1/4" ratchet and didn't think I over torqued it but I did. I think it will be easier to pull the diff to replace the seal and heli coil the drain plug.
    2018 Blue Wolverine X4
    JBS Sheave
    JBS Springs
    Alba Tune

Got the rear diff out the back. Turned it 45 degrees counter clockwise and it came right out. HAve the seal replaced and the drain plug heli coiled. Just have to button it all up. Honestly the worst part was the bolts that bolted the top braces to the frame. There's not much room and the bolts are lock tighten. It was a little rough breaking those loose.
    2018 Blue Wolverine X4
    JBS Sheave
    JBS Springs
    Alba Tune

9. Thanks Timmi thanked for this post
    Likes WV Hot Rod Rhino liked this post
    Just an FYI on the drain plug. I drilled it with a 13/32 bit and used a 12 1.5 tap for the heli coil threads. For some reason I had heli coils but they weren't in a kit so I had to look up what tap and drill to use. Your suppose to use a 10.3 drill bit but the 13/32 worked fine.
    2018 Blue Wolverine X4
    JBS Sheave
    JBS Springs
    Alba Tune

11. Thanks Timmi thanked for this post
    Got it all back together. Family ride next weekend.
    2018 Blue Wolverine X4
    JBS Sheave
    JBS Springs
    Alba Tune

13. Likes Timmi, jimclemjr liked this post