Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  10
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Viking VI Trouble climbing inclines

I just bought a 2019 Viking VI last week and got it out this weekend for the first time. i was surprised to find out that it was struggling with low end power and had issues going up inclines in High gear to where it wouldn't climb a 2 foot mound in front of me and barely made it up and over in low gear. several times through the ride I had to shift to low gear to make it up long runs of inclines (not steep shelf or climbing rocks) and low gear still had difficulties getting started from a stop on moderate inclines. I did have 4 passengers and a bed with gear in it (probably around 1000 lbs in total passengers and gear) but i even had to switch to low gear to get onto my trailer (truck was on a slight incline and when front wheels cleared the gate i came to complete stop and could not crawl up after that in High)

machine has 940 mile when i bought it and 28' tires, clutch weights for 27-28" tires and has had clutch service a year ago (per service records provided by the dealer). when i was struggling to get started the machine did not seem to go full rev/rpm with the pedal on the floor and i never spun out... I would like to add the hot rod sheave, but feel i have other issues (potentially clutch issue where it isnt engageing on inclines with wieght loads?) i did adjust the throttle cable on the trail and then when i got back home and took all the slack out (there was a significant amount of play in the pedal as the slack adjuster was backed all the way out). i tested the machine after this adjustment and it was able to climb hills that it wouldnt have before, however it was empty weight with just me and a toolbag at that time (approx 275 lbs total).

The machine topped out at 54 MPH yesterday before and after the slack adjustment in Denver (5280 elevation) and i was riding around 9-10,000ft on the trail.

Do you have reccomendations for me to check/investigate prior to adding the sheave and what sheave would you recommend? i will be running in colorado mountains most of the time on trails, i dont care to add much top end but would love low end power and off the line speed increases along with the ability to carry loads without straining the vehicle on moderate dirt road inclines .

I would take the clutch apart and check for wear on the sheave and the belt. If it looks ok it may be your wet clutch. Clean the clutch, primary and secondary, and regrease it while you have it apart.

"
    White Shadow " Wolverine X2
    JBS Performance Extreme Sheave
    JBS Performance Suspension Springs
    Team Alba Racing ECU
    Rigid Side Shooter Led
    Yamaha Cab Enclosure
    Bazooka Party Bar

should I just go ahead and get the hotrod sheave kit now if I'm going to tear into it to check anyway?

As long as i don't run the risk of messing up the new sheave kit by installing it before whatever else is wrong i might as well just swap it out now if I'm pretty certain that's where I'm headed anyway right?

call James and see what he says 304-673-2602

Quote Originally Posted by Wwaterhouse@msn.com View Post
    should I just go ahead and get the hotrod sheave kit now if I'm going to tear into it to check anyway?

As long as i don't run the risk of messing up the new sheave kit by installing it before whatever else is wrong i might as well just swap it out now if I'm pretty certain that's where I'm headed anyway right?

"
    Team Alba Racing ECU
    Rigid Side Shooter Led
    Yamaha Cab Enclosure
    Bazooka Party Bar

5. Likes therebel19 liked this post
    54 MPH sounds like you now have full throttle which you would really need with the load. The weights keep it in 'Low" gear longer and will help but it sounds like weights are not backshifting or the wet clutch is slipping. When it is struggling to climb, was the motor screaming or lugging?
    2016 Wolverine R-Spec EPS, Camo, fender ext. 4000 Moto winch w/syn rope, 14"Method B-locks, 27" Maxxis Vipr 9 & 11's, Full flip windshield, A-arm guards, 2 batts, JBS CVT grind, 16 OD, slugs, purple, JBS/Eibach springs, Autometer Temp Gauge
    08 Rhino 700 SE Black Armor, JBS 734 (bbk w/Carillo crank & rod, CP 11:1, deshrouded valves, Raptor springs, Viking cam & FI, MSD, afr Gauge, Unleashed sheave w/JBS OD 18g greased, Purple, slugs, 27" Mudlite XTRs , 6" Chopped , Mishi Rad, ALBA exhaust

It definitely wasn’t screaming it was mid rev I guess lugging.

I have also eliminated the 9000’+ Argument my local dealer spewed at me as it does the same thing here at 5280’.

Called jbs and had info relayed to James but he was busy and I’m not sure he got the whole question about if I should be investigating what else may be wrong before I go for the sheave, spring and slug kit. Ready to order if I know that is the best course of action... wondering if the belt tension may not be adjusted tight enough or if there is something else I need to investigate before I tear into it and put the new parts in.

there's no adjustment for belt tension, you probably just need to clean and regrease it

It definitely wasn’t screaming it was mid rev I guess lugging.

I have also eliminated the 9000’+ Argument my local dealer spewed at me as it does the same thing here at 5280’.

Called jbs and had info relayed to James but he was busy and I’m not sure he got the whole question about if I should be investigating what else may be wrong before I go for the sheave, spring and slug kit. Ready to order if I know that is the best course of action... wondering if the belt tension may not be adjusted tight enough or if there is something else I need to investigate before I tear into it and put the new parts in.

"
    Team Alba Racing ECU
    Rigid Side Shooter Led
    Yamaha Cab Enclosure
    Bazooka Party Bar

I would think you need to get into it and check primary weight and secondary function. Watch the videos and educate yourself before you start, and make sure you have the Yamalube in hand as I understand it is backordered. Maybe James can get an order filled for you. While in there do the slug kit to help save your clutch and improve low speed driveability. My $.02
    2016 Wolverine R-Spec EPS, Camo, fender ext. 4000 Moto winch w/syn rope, 14"Method B-locks, 27" Maxxis Vipr 9 & 11's, Full flip windshield, A-arm guards, 2 batts, JBS CVT grind, 16 OD, slugs, purple, JBS/Eibach springs, Autometer Temp Gauge
    08 Rhino 700 SE Black Armor, JBS 734 (bbk w/Carillo crank & rod, CP 11:1, deshrouded valves, Raptor springs, Viking cam & FI, MSD, afr Gauge, Unleashed sheave w/JBS OD 18g greased, Purple, slugs, 27" Mudlite XTRs , 6" Chopped , Mishi Rad, ALBA exhaust

10. Thanks Wwaterhouse@msn.com thanked for this post
    Likes Timmi, WV Hot Rod Rhino liked this post
    Little more info for t puzzle...

Found out The dealer installed the EPI clutch kit when the previous owner put on the 28’s and then also did some sort of clutch service afterwards before I bought it.

Pulled everything apart got to the wet clutch and this is what I found...

Few more questions for you guys:

1. Should I be pulling the epi clutch shoe springs out and replacing with oem springs?

2. How does this clutch look? Does it need rebuilt?

3. I want to order this week... what else should I consider?
    JBS extreme sheave kit (what weight weights?), purple spring, slug kit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Little more info for t puzzle...

Found out The dealer installed the EPI clutch kit when the previous owner put on the 28’s and then also did some sort of clutch service afterwards before I bought it.

Pulled everything apart got to the wet clutch and this is what I found...

Few more questions for you guys:

1. Should I be pulling the epi clutch shoe springs out and replacing with oem springs?

2. How does this clutch look? Does it need rebuilt?

3. I want to order this week... what else should I consider?
    JBS extreme sheave kit (what weight weights?), purple spring, slug kit

Slug kit, purple spring, and sheave kit with 18g OD weights from JBS will get you the low end grunt and crawl and still benefit your top end.
    I just installed this weeks ago in my Viking-VI and wow! Money well spent!!! I went from 49 to 57 mph on a long ever so slight incline at WOT. The clutch engages quicker and it will stay engaged at lower speeds so you can crawl along without working the throttle constantly. It has much more out of the gate and accelerated harder through the mid range with a much better throttle response all the way around.

2020 V6, 27” QuadBoss

13. Likes Timmi, Ironhide.au liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast