Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  10
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Picture of the wet clutch drum please. Would rather see drum to make final assessment due to high cost of clutch unit. If memory serves, EPI did have wet clutch springs that were heavier and used for mudding and they allowed higher rpm before clutch engagement (more hit power), but it wears out the clutch quicker. A couple years ago the parts of the OEM clutch were not available, you had to buy the whole unit (check OEM parts to verify). You can find some china shoes on eBay but remember as they wearout they leave their crappy residue in your engine oil... not worth the savings IMHO.
    What does the secondary look like? The slider pins and grease condition?
    2016 Wolverine R-Spec EPS, Camo, fender ext. 4000 Moto winch w/syn rope, 14"Method B-locks, 27" Maxxis Vipr 9 & 11's, Full flip windshield, A-arm guards, 2 batts, JBS CVT grind, 16 OD, slugs, purple, JBS/Eibach springs, Autometer Temp Gauge
    08 Rhino 700 SE Black Armor, JBS 734 (bbk w/Carillo crank & rod, CP 11:1, deshrouded valves, Raptor springs, Viking cam & FI, MSD, afr Gauge, Unleashed sheave w/JBS OD 18g greased, Purple, slugs, 27" Mudlite XTRs , 6" Chopped , Mishi Rad, ALBA exhaust

Quote Originally Posted by Wwaterhouse@msn.com View Post
    Little more info for t puzzle...

Found out The dealer installed the EPI clutch kit when the previous owner put on the 28’s and then also did some sort of clutch service afterwards before I bought it.

Pulled everything apart got to the wet clutch and this is what I found...

Few more questions for you guys:

1. Should I be pulling the epi clutch shoe springs out and replacing with oem springs?

2. How does this clutch look? Does it need rebuilt?

3. I want to order this week... what else should I consider?
    JBS extreme sheave kit (what weight weights?), purple spring, slug kit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Slug kit, purple spring, and sheave kit with 18g OD weights from JBS will get you the low end grunt and crawl and still benefit your top end.
    I just installed this weeks ago in my Viking-VI and wow! Money well spent!!! I went from 49 to 57 mph on a long ever so slight incline at WOT. The clutch engages quicker and it will stay engaged at lower speeds so you can crawl along without working the throttle constantly. It has much more out of the gate and accelerated harder through the mid range with a much better throttle response all the way around.

2020 V6, 27” QuadBoss

3. Likes Timmi, Ironhide.au liked this post
    Ordered a new clutch assembly to get it back to stock, slug kit and hot rod sheave and secondary spring with JBS to make final decision on gram of weights before shipping the kit to melody week.

Charged my card Friday when they dropped in the mail. Haven’t seen my confirmation email yet for shipping tracking and weights being sent but hope to have them installed and up on the mountain later this week. Will update once I’m up and test run has been completed.

Ordered a new clutch assembly to get it back to stock, slug kit and hot rod sheave and secondary spring with JBS to make final decision on gram of weights before shipping the kit to melody week.

Charged my card Friday when they dropped in the mail. Haven’t seen my confirmation email yet for shipping tracking and weights being sent but hope to have them installed and up on the mountain later this week. Will update once I’m up and test run has been completed.

Watch James’ install video on YouTube if you haven’t already. I watched it a couple times while waiting for my kit, then referenced it a couple times when I finally installed it. It’s relatively easy with the right tools. I bought the EPI secondary clutch spring compression tool, and a 1-13/16” socket to change the secondary spring out. I bought an oil change kit, red locktite, and a smaller torque wrench that would register 7.2 ft-lbs prior to the install. Well...technically I bought the big ass socket half way through because I missed it on the video when I watched. That’s pretty much why I’m sharing. Might help the next guy!!!

2020 V6, 27” QuadBoss

6. Thanks Wwaterhouse@msn.com thanked for this post

Viking VI Trouble climbing inclines

Thanks... watched the video a couple times prior to taking everything apart and will be referencing again when I get everything in. Have everything needed now except the shipment from JBS and torque wrench which is on the list to either buy today or borrow from my mechanic friend

Finally got the parts Friday but only had polyurea grease, no ultramatic grease in the package... spent a good portion of the day Saturday looking for local shops with ultramatic in stock until finally got told by one dealer that Yamaha has discontinued it and the new 2021 service manual for grizzly 700s call for polyurea in the primary sheave... decided to move forward with polyurea while waiting for JBS to reply to messages I sent asking about the ultramatic.

Here is what my primary looked like when I opened it up. I have service records indicating that the dealer serviced the sheave in December and less than 250miles ago... appears to be the epi weights and I can’t quite tell if they tried to rub them greaseless or just used the wrong grease and it decomposed...

The old clutch was visibly worn compared to the new clutch which is now slugged and ready to go.

Hoping to have everything back together today, waiting on my buddy to swing by with the 1-13/16 socket for the secondary sheave service/spring replacement and torque wrench to put her all back together...

Anyone have any thoughts on the primary sheave condition?

Finally got the parts Friday but only had polyurea grease, no ultramatic grease in the package... spent a good portion of the day Saturday looking for local shops with ultramatic in stock until finally got told by one dealer that Yamaha has discontinued it and the new 2021 service manual for grizzly 700s call for polyurea in the primary sheave... decided to move forward with polyurea while waiting for JBS to reply to messages I sent asking about the ultramatic.

Here is what my primary looked like when I opened it up. I have service records indicating that the dealer serviced the sheave in December and less than 250miles ago... appears to be the epi weights and I can’t quite tell if they tried to rub them greaseless or just used the wrong grease and it decomposed...

The old clutch was visibly worn compared to the new clutch which is now slugged and ready to go.

Hoping to have everything back together today, waiting on my buddy to swing by with the 1-13/16 socket for the secondary sheave service/spring replacement and torque wrench to put her all back together...

Anyone have any thoughts on the primary sheave condition?

Looks pretty dirty to have been serviced 250 miles ago, and I noticed some crud gummed up on the weights. The cam plate marking where the slider weights move in and out don’t look consistent either. I’m no experienced pro but I just did a JBS upgrade and mine had 700 miles on it with the last service at the 50 mile dealer recommended service. Mine wasn’t nearly that dusty, nor my weights covered in crud. Also, the cam plate rub marking were consistent and shiny. Be sure that there was a dust cap o-ring on it when you took the dust cap off. Might check all your breather vents are sealed up well too

2020 V6, 27” QuadBoss

10. Likes Wwaterhouse@msn.com liked this post
    That’s what I was thinking... I’m betting they charged the previous owner for a clutch service but didn’t get into there at all...

That’s what I was thinking... I’m betting they charged the previous owner for a clutch service but didn’t get into there at all...

I was understanding that the polyurea grease was discontinued and that the Ultramatic would work for both the sheave collars and the primary??? I moved forward with the Ultramatic for both after confirming with James and a Yamaha dealer technician I know and trust. I haven’t put enough miles on it to report long term experience but it’s damn sure running good right now after the slug kit, purple spring and extreme sheave w/ 18g weights. I’ve had nothing but good experiences in 200+ miles since the upgrade. Time will tell, and who knows...Yamaha may come out with a miracle grease in the future to replace them both. I’ll probably get into the CVT at a 1000 miles or so and do a thorough inspection. If it’s running good and no seeping around the seals I’ll let it go another 500 miles and see how it looks before servicing it at that point. That’ll help to determine the long term use of the Ultramatic on the sheave collars and help determine how often it should be serviced for my particular riding conditions. That’s my tentative strategy!

2020 V6, 27” QuadBoss

that looks like bel ray assembly lube which some dealers use

"
    White Shadow " Wolverine X2
    JBS Performance Extreme Sheave
    JBS Performance Suspension Springs
    Team Alba Racing ECU
    Rigid Side Shooter Led
    Yamaha Cab Enclosure
    Bazooka Party Bar

14. Thanks Wwaterhouse@msn.com thanked for this post