Thanks Thanks:  14
Likes Likes:  22
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bob T's Maps

Bob T's Maps

The following info is courtesy of Bob T & was copied from hotrodrhinoforums .... thanks Bob T!!!!!

I was asked by Hot Rod to post this link to a WV ATV Trails Map that I make. This map is a Garmin transparent map that will show on top of any basemap you have showing on your GPSr. It works on all Garmin GPSr's including Nuvi's. Even if you don't have a GPS you can install the map and view it on your Garmin's Basecamp or Mapsource programs. There is also a Mac version available. Unless you have one of the newer Oregons, Montanas, or 62's I highly recommend using Mapsource, it is much simpler to use. If you have one of the newer models you need to use Basecamp to install the map onto your GPSr. During the download you can choose to install a very helpful document that explains how to get Basecamp and Mapsource. It also has info on loading maps onto your GPSr along with info on how to use the map on an Android device. Below is a description of what is in the map and the download link is at the bottom. Don't hesitate to ask questions if you have problems, loading a map onto a GPSr can seem complex at first.

Major Changes to WV ATV Trails 2013

BobT, Sept 7, 2013

When installing please read color coding scheme

Now includes 356 waypoints including 35 Lodging waypoints, 23 eating establishments, 32 gas stations, and 83 directional sign post.

Consist of 715 individual tracks and over 2,000 miles of trails

Tracks and intersection accuracy was improved for all trails using various satellite imagery and Google Earth.

Added East Lynn Trails, color coded and named. Color coding is my opinion.

Added Bergoo Trails, color coding is subjective since these trails I did not track.

Added Hatfield McCoy Ivy Branch Trails, numbered and color coded.

Updated/tweaked all Hatfield McCoy Trail Systems.

Changed background color to pure white for better printing using Basecamp and plotters.

Outlaw Trails

Several trails added East of Herndon.

Several small tweaks made to various trails.

Added special color coded trail “HMIR-27 to Stair Steps”.

Added special color coding for “9-mile Creek By-Pass” going to Welch.

Includes 7 special color coded trails between popular destinations.

Hatfield McCoy

Most trails were ridden in Spring and Summer of 2013 and updated to current status.

HMPO – added alternated Trail Entrance from Bramwell. (much easier)

HMIB – ridden and tracked in March and August with several GPSr’s.

HMIR - updated trail 19, connector to Stair Steps has special color coding.

HMPC - Trail 22 added.

HMBW - new Logan connector added, left recently removed trail 10 on map.

HMLCR - updated to latest map added back trails 57, 64, 65, 14.

Burning Rock – A very nice trail system, takes 2 days to ride. Highly recommend.

Ridden in June and July, under new management and trails are being added/deleted/changed constantly. Several changes between June and July.

Added trails 99, 30, 59, 48.

New configuration of trail 2 to trail head from other side of Hwy-16.

Reflects new trail 67 configuration.

East Lynn – ridden and tracked in spring and summer of 2013. Some trails are blocked due to tornado damage. Shows parking areas and two gas stations. Color coding is fairly accurate.

Bergoo – this is one system that I have not ridden. Got tracks from someone else so color coding is very subjective.

Link to download site
    Map Download Link

2. Thanks Firefighter, jimclemjr, Grizzly2010 thanked for this post
    Likes Firefighter, Hump, TBONE21 liked this post
    Mrs. Hotrod, the links don't work to get to the maps.

4. Thanks Mrs. Hot Rod thanked for this post
    Likes WV Hot Rod Rhino liked this post

This maps are awsome just wish I knew how to do the goggle maps overlay on them I thank it really helps.

Sent from the drivers seat of my truck.

JBS 787, bored throttle body , +1ported head, JBS deshrowded valves,kibble white valve springs, muzzy exshaust,dynatek coil,TCP oil cooler, triple pass radiator,billit one steering rack,heavy duty steering tierods, heim joints,+6 long travel,tilt wheel, radius roll cage, JBS rear splash shield
    Bead lock wheels , bear claw tires , power steering

You can use Google Earth to do the overlay or if you are using a handheld GPS you can download the "Birds Eye View" from Garmin. I forget how much it cost but I did it and think it helps.

One thing to note... if you open the whole thing up in Google Earth it will take a while to load. The best thing to do is pull out specific tracks and then load them in.

8. Thanks WV Hot Rod Rhino, Mrs. Hot Rod thanked for this post
    Likes WV Hot Rod Rhino, Mrs. Hot Rod liked this post
    I've tried it a couple times with no luck there is several steps , don't know if I missing a step or something but after I'm done it never shows up on my screen.

JBS 787, bored throttle body , +1ported head, JBS deshrowded valves,kibble white valve springs, muzzy exshaust,dynatek coil,TCP oil cooler, triple pass radiator,billit one steering rack,heavy duty steering tierods, heim joints,+6 long travel,tilt wheel, radius roll cage, JBS rear splash shield

I have found the maps to be great but downloading the tiles to get 100% coverage using a topo or Google maps.....forget it! I wish Back Country Nav would just have a blank screen that you could display your maps on!

Yeah it is a pain in google maps. I will try to find some time to play with it and get some instructions uploaded here. I have a Garmin 62SC that I use with bird's eye view of the area downloaded on it so I can see basically "google earth" right on my GPS.

Just FYI - I used Bob's maps all last year riding all over Southern WV and they are pretty spot on. There is a new Coal Company in the Pineville area that has a lot of private property signs up, but I have never had any trouble or problems with them. It would be nice if anyone on the board could add some info on that company and how strict they are. I think it's Clifford's or something similar to that.

The goggle earth is what I was trying to do.

Since this is a SxS site I thought I would post information about a great Android App that I have converted a couple of my maps to. The App is called "BackCountry Navigator" (BCN). It cost $9.99. It displays my maps many times better than any GPS. I and several friends are using it on 7" Tablets in our RZR's. If you already have an Android Phone or Tablet it is much cheaper than a GPS. It also has all of the functionality of a GPS.

The link below will take you to a download where you can download a zip file with instructions and the BCN files for my "WV ATV Trails 2013" and "Taylor Park Trails 2014". You can also get the Garmin version at www.gpsfiledepot.com

BCN Files Download
    http://www.mediafire.com/download/1e...structions.zip

Screen shot 1
    http://i1359.photobucket.com/albums/...ps2d319cd0.jpg

Screen shot 2
    http://i1359.photobucket.com/albums/...ps829e2886.jpg

Screen shot 3
    http://i1359.photobucket.com/albums/...psa748940d.jpg

Screen shot 4
    http://i1359.photobucket.com/albums/...ps5387dbfe.jpg

14. Thanks Mrs. Hot Rod thanked for this post
    Likes Mrs. Hot Rod liked this post