Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  7

2009 Rhino 700 build

Hey guys, just picked up a 2009 rhino700 locally and got a pretty decent deal on it. machine has about 8400 miles on it. Machine is in pretty good shape. Plan is to do a mild(ish) build on it. A JBS extreme sheave is a given, along with putting in a low mileage (600miles) wet clutch and wet clutch drum that I have from my 2012 rhino 700 (they are both camo and look about identical lol). Also a given is a new OEM belt and whatever fixed sheaves if any that need replaced.
    We'll go thru the wheel bearings and replace as needed; also will install larger radiator and move oil cooler.
    Here's where I need advice. What is the best bang for the buck for performance? Cam and fuel controller? Was planning on installing new piston and rings too and honing cylinder. Is the reverse gear mod necessary if not ran hard in reverse or should we do this upgrade as well? I don't want to go too awful crazy with the cost of this build, but I want a decent bump in performance. We also want to find a full set of rhino sport shocks to put on it.
    I want to purchase all needed parts for this build from JBS; hopefully you guys can tell me exactly what I need to make this a super fun machine. We do not plan to run any suspension upgrades (long travel etc), and most likely OEM 26" tire size
    This build will be featured on the YouTube Channel Appalachian Mountain Riders (my friends channel); he'll be detailing the entire build.
    Hope to hear everyone's thoughts on what we should do!

Also.. We wants mods that boost low to midrange power. Top end speed much over 50-55 isn't needed. 0-30; 0-40 hit is what we're after.

James hasn't been able to log on here, crazy but true. Call him, he had the fastest Rhino ever a 2009 SE. 304-673-2602

"
    White Shadow " Wolverine X2
    JBS Performance Extreme Sheave
    JBS Performance Suspension Springs
    Team Alba Racing ECU
    Rigid Side Shooter Led
    Yamaha Cab Enclosure
    Bazooka Party Bar

Quote Originally Posted by Timmi View Post
    James hasn't been able to log on here, crazy but true. Call him, he had the fastest Rhino ever a 2009 SE. 304-673-2602
    Ok, thank you Timmi I'll call him sometime late this week.

4. Likes Timmi liked this post
    Definitely do the reverse upgrade, its only $75 for the part and a hassle to split the cases but an opportunity to check all internals. My signature shows my motor that James built for me a few years ago. This Rhino will pull the f ront wheels on dry pavement with bunches of low end torque. The Viking VI cam is the trick I think and I limited the rpms in MSD to 7500 IIRC, since I also did not want high top speed. James can advise best on cam choice No valve float with the raptor parts. My son actually has this Rhino now and it easily outruns my 2016 Wolverine. Suggest you go to at least 27" tires to help get some ground clearance, no great loss of power.
    2016 Wolverine R-Spec EPS, Camo, fender ext. 4000 Moto winch w/syn rope, 14"Method B-locks, 27" Maxxis Vipr 9 & 11's, Full flip windshield, A-arm guards, 2 batts, JBS CVT grind, 16 OD, slugs, purple, JBS/Eibach springs, Autometer Temp Gauge
    08 Rhino 700 SE Black Armor, JBS 734 (bbk w/Carillo crank & rod, CP 11:1, deshrouded valves, Raptor springs, Viking cam & FI, MSD, afr Gauge, Unleashed sheave w/JBS OD 18g greased, Purple, slugs, 27" Mudlite XTRs , 6" Chopped , Mishi Rad, ALBA exhaust

6. Thanks PArhino thanked for this post
    Likes PArhino, JoshK liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by jimclemjr View Post
    Definitely do the reverse upgrade, its only $75 for the part and a hassle to split the cases but an opportunity to check all internals. My signature shows my motor that James built for me a few years ago. This Rhino will pull the f ront wheels on dry pavement with bunches of low end torque. The Viking VI cam is the trick I think and I limited the rpms in MSD to 7500 IIRC, since I also did not want high top speed. James can advise best on cam choice No valve float with the raptor parts. My son actually has this Rhino now and it easily outruns my 2016 Wolverine. Suggest you go to at least 27" tires to help get some ground clearance, no great loss of power.
    Thank you for the response! We will definitely install a new reverse gear then. I don't think I want to have quite the level of build as yours, but we're not sure exactly yet lol. I do want to stay with the OEM exhaust to keep noise and expense down. I'd like to know what limitations this would have as far as the build level. We'd go stroker, but want to be conservative on the compression if possible like stock or 10:1. Bullet proof reliability is essential.
    Thanks again for your input!

James deshrouded the head and that brings the compression down a few points so it is probably actually a little over 10.5:1. I was going to go with the stroker but would have had to wait several weeks for it so decided to stay with stock. With the OEM cam the it runs out of pull rather early as compared to a stage cam. I believe it to be 'bullet-proof' as I have watched my son drive it the last couple years. Put a tip on your OEM exhaust to help it breathe some and it will still be tolerable. The ALBA exhaust is great for power but hard on the ears, would not recommend if concerned about noise lol.
    2016 Wolverine R-Spec EPS, Camo, fender ext. 4000 Moto winch w/syn rope, 14"Method B-locks, 27" Maxxis Vipr 9 & 11's, Full flip windshield, A-arm guards, 2 batts, JBS CVT grind, 16 OD, slugs, purple, JBS/Eibach springs, Autometer Temp Gauge
    08 Rhino 700 SE Black Armor, JBS 734 (bbk w/Carillo crank & rod, CP 11:1, deshrouded valves, Raptor springs, Viking cam & FI, MSD, afr Gauge, Unleashed sheave w/JBS OD 18g greased, Purple, slugs, 27" Mudlite XTRs , 6" Chopped , Mishi Rad, ALBA exhaust

9. Thanks PArhino thanked for this post
    Likes Timmi, JoshK, PArhino liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by jimclemjr View Post
    James deshrouded the head and that brings the compression down a few points so it is probably actually a little over 10.5:1. I was going to go with the stroker but would have had to wait several weeks for it so decided to stay with stock. With the OEM cam the it runs out of pull rather early as compared to a stage cam. I believe it to be 'bullet-proof' as I have watched my son drive it the last couple years. Put a tip on your OEM exhaust to help it breathe some and it will still be tolerable. The ALBA exhaust is great for power but hard on the ears, would not recommend if concerned about noise lol.
    Awesome input, thank you so much. We're actually thinking now, we may go with almost a carbon copy of your motor setup, minus the alba exhaust (staying with OEM exhaust). Great suggestion about the OEM exhaust tip, and if it doesn't get us thrown out of atv parks and isn't too loud, that's the wa we'll go. I think that's going to be an awesome setup. I like the deshrouded valves keeping compression around 10.5 / 1. Does the cam help a lot with bottom end or is it mainly the big bore/ stroker that adds the bottom? Still on the fence about the stroker, but I think we'll go with something very close to your setup. Once we figure it out I'll be calling James and getting his thoughts and ordering some parts!

stroker crank helps tremendously on bottom end and added cc's is helpful through out, the cam comes on in the mid range. 734 is a good kit that makes very good power. I had a 727 bb in my grizzly, it was amazing

Quote Originally Posted by PArhino View Post
    Awesome input, thank you so much. We're actually thinking now, we may go with almost a carbon copy of your motor setup, minus the alba exhaust (staying with OEM exhaust). Great suggestion about the OEM exhaust tip, and if it doesn't get us thrown out of atv parks and isn't too loud, that's the way we'll go. I think that's going to be an awesome setup. I like the deshrouded valves keeping compression around 10.5 / 1. Does the cam help a lot with bottom end or is it mainly the big bore/ stroker that adds the bottom? Still on the fence about the stroker, but I think we'll go with something very close to your setup. Once we figure it out I'll be calling James and getting his thoughts and ordering some parts!

"
    White Shadow " Wolverine X2
    JBS Performance Extreme Sheave
    JBS Performance Suspension Springs
    Team Alba Racing ECU
    Rigid Side Shooter Led
    Yamaha Cab Enclosure
    Bazooka Party Bar

Quote Originally Posted by Timmi View Post
    stroker crank helps tremendously on bottom end and added cc's is helpful through out, the cam comes on in the mid range. 734 is a good kit that makes very good power. I had a 727 bb in my grizzly, it was amazing
    Thanks Timmi!, appreciate it!

13. Likes Timmi liked this post