Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  4
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Rhino 660 No Neutral Light

My 2006 Rhino has started to act up and not show the neutral light anymore. I tried to adjust the shifter, but that hasn't helped any longer. I am thinking that the switch may have finally given up the ghost. Does anyone have any other ideas of things to check?

For a long time, it wouldn't light unless you played with the shifter. I had previously adjusted it a few times, but would then have issues with it going into (and lighting) the correct ranges. But after an adjustment the neutral light would work ok for a little bit. Then it would start the game of having to shake the shifter to get it to light.

Thanks.
    2015 Yamaha Viking VI EPS (Camo):
    -JBS Extreme Sheave, JBS Skids, JBS Arm Guards, JBS AIS Block Off, JBS Rad Guards, JBS Slug Kit, 28" Terrabites/14" Hurricanes

2018 Yamaha Wolverine X4 SE (Silver):
    -JBS Extreme Sheave, JBS Spring Kit, 28” Terrabites/14" Hurricanes, Weller ECM Flash

The switch that gives you a gear indication is a multiple contact switch wired as shown below. You should find this switch on the upper drivers side of the engine case. You will find it at the end of the internal gear shifting shaft. It is directly opposite the bellcrank that is controlled by the shift lever pushrod on the passenger side.

Be gentle in removing and installing the switch as it is rather fragile. Simply cleaning the contacts may be all it takes to fix it.

| I took the one less traveled by....
    | Oh, Oh .

| ............... #
    |___________________________________

3. Likes WV Hot Rod Rhino liked this post

Ok Steve, I am understanding the diagram. Are you thinking that I need to check for broken wires/bad connections? With everything that this machine has been through previous to my ownership, I can't say anything is impossible. What I find odd is that the other positions work as designed and just now nothing that I do seems to make the light illuminate.

Thanks for pointing me to a place to begin further troubleshooting.

Apparently my phone wasn't done producing all that you wrote Steve. Thanks for the input.
    Last edited by shortbus453; 09-25-2017 at 06:30 PM. Reason: I am a bonehead
    -JBS Extreme Sheave, JBS Skids, JBS Arm Guards, JBS AIS Block Off, JBS Rad Guards, JBS Slug Kit, 28" Terrabites/14" Hurricanes

-JBS Extreme Sheave, JBS Spring Kit, 28” Terrabites/14" Hurricanes, Weller ECM Flash

Quote Originally Posted by shortbus453 View Post
    Ok Steve, I am understanding the diagram. Are you thinking that I need to check for broken wires/bad connections? With everything that this machine has been through previous to my ownership, I can't say anything is impossible. What I find odd is that the other positions work as designed and just now nothing that I do seems to make the light illuminate.

Thanks for pointing me to a place to begin further troubleshooting.

Apparently my phone wasn't done producing all that you wrote Steve. Thanks for the input.
    I straightened out the post as to where the picture is hosted on the internet, so it should show now. You can see the multiple electrical contacts on the face of the switch. If one is contaminated then one gear does not indicate. if they are all contaminated there will be no gear indications at all (other than reverse which is managed by an altogether different switch.

It could also be a break in one of the Sky Blue wires or a problem with one of the connectors involved. You should probably check this first as it is easier to do than removal of the switch itself.

A quick check of the light bulb itself would be to ground the sky blue wire which should light up the neutral light bulb with the key in the on position (pre-digital dash).
    | Oh, Oh .

| ............... #

Thankfully, I have the digital dash upgrade...but I am still going to go through it piece by piece before I spend $60 on a new switch from Yamaha...

Always a pleasure to work with your electrical knowledge Steve. Thanks.

7. Likes WV Hot Rod Rhino liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by shortbus453 View Post
    Thankfully, I have the digital dash upgrade...but I am still going to go through it piece by piece before I spend $60 on a new switch from Yamaha...

Always a pleasure to work with your electrical knowledge Steve. Thanks.
    You are welcome. Let us know what you find when you are done. This is not the first time that gear sense circuit has gone bad.
    | Oh, Oh .

| ............... #

Quote Originally Posted by SteveS View Post
    You are welcome. Let us know what you find when you are done. This is not the first time that gear sense circuit has gone bad.
    Steve.... unrelated but have an electrical question for ya. When you use butt connectors to put in an inline fuse or inline switch is there any voltage / amperage drop from those connections or would it not effect it? The 12ga wire i ran back to power my bazooka tube has 4 butt connections on it from the fuse and switch being there. Speedo gauge is saying over 12v and normally around 13.9v most of the time but sometimes with the radio turned up its like the speaker is not getting the power it needs. Do you think taking the butt connections out and soldering the connections would help or could it be the battery has enough volts but not enough amps to supply it?

low to 1/2 volume there is no issue but once you get up over 1/2 volume you start noticing it and if the song has a good bit of bass its even more noticeable, thats what makes me think its not getting the supply it needs.
    2015 Viking EPS SE
    KFI Stealth 4500s
    KFI 72" Open Trail Plow
    SuperATV Flip Up Windshield
    SuperATV Side Mirrors
    Seizmik Soft Rear Window
    IR Backup Camera
    42" LED Light Bar
    JBS Extreme Sheave
    JBS Slug Kit
    Black & Gray YXZ seats
    JBS Doors
    Lots More Planned...

10. Likes WV Hot Rod Rhino liked this post
    Needs bigger wire to the unit..I ran #10 to homey's and it don't cut out

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk
    James Davis
    If you have questions call me!!!
    304-673-2602
    304-877-3419
    Check out our web https://jbsperformance.com/
    Email to - jbsperformanceinc@aol.com
    Ship to - 131 Davis Ct., Mt. Hope, WV 25880

ok i will try that this weekend and go ahead and solder & shrink tube the connections to be on the safe side.... 12 was as big as i had at the time
    2015 Viking EPS SE
    KFI Stealth 4500s
    KFI 72" Open Trail Plow
    SuperATV Flip Up Windshield
    SuperATV Side Mirrors
    Seizmik Soft Rear Window
    IR Backup Camera
    42" LED Light Bar
    JBS Extreme Sheave
    JBS Slug Kit
    Black & Gray YXZ seats
    JBS Doors
    Lots More Planned...

Quote Originally Posted by walkntall View Post
    ok i will try that this weekend and go ahead and solder & shrink tube the connections to be on the safe side.... 12 was as big as i had at the time
    I agree with the 10 ga wires. Bullet terminals come in different sizes for various wire sizes. 10 ga is a bit big and soldered connection is the best bet.
    | Oh, Oh .

| ............... #

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast